sharetrader
Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1099

Car reviewers have generally been very positive on the new Camry now made in Japan. Most reviewers have been in the 7-8.5/10 range. My assessment is 6.5/10.
    See N.Z. Autocar review https://www.autocar.co.nz/car-review...&ObjectType=35 I agree the suspension is underdamped for B grade Kiwi roads.
    Very safe, sensible fuel efficient car that does most things at an average-slightly above average level with Toyota longevity, reliability and resale value it makes a good common sense choice for anyone wanting a modern fuel efficient mid sized sedan. However its performance, handling and technology is a long way short of my Calais V. I am more than happy to roll the dice on a replacement Calais if the Camry is the alternative. Interestingly the Toyota Camry is a 3 month wait in that nice mica blue colour, see review posted above. More boring colours like white, silver and similar are a 2 week wait. Good classic accountants car and certain aspects of it resonate with me...but the Beagle still has too many car enthusiast brain cells left floating around to succumb to such mediocrity at this stage of life. Maybe a good car for later when I retire and start wearing beige cardigans

On the Holden Calais reliability thing...those reviews and reliability reports were all based on the previous model made in Australia and yes I can testify to the fact that they had issues with that 5.7 V8 engine because my last Calais I owned in 2000 for 3 years had that engine and had some quality control issues and burned an unusually high amount of oil. (Didn't seize though)

I had thought with the new ZB model now being made in Germany quality control would have lifted but what was I thinking and expecting from a rebadged Opel refitted with GM engine and gearbox technology.

Tomorrow - the Mazda 6 winner of Stuff's executive car of the year for 2018 so it could be interesting. https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/top...ve-car-of-2018
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Car reviewers have generally been very positive on the new Camry now made in Japan. Most reviewers have been in the 7-8.5/10 range. My assessment is 6.5/10.
    See N.Z. Autocar review https://www.autocar.co.nz/car-review...&ObjectType=35 I agree the suspension is underdamped for B grade Kiwi roads.
    Very safe, sensible fuel efficient car that does most things at an average-slightly above average level with Toyota longevity, reliability and resale value it makes a good common sense choice for anyone wanting a modern fuel efficient mid sized sedan. However its performance, handling and technology is a long way short of my Calais V. I am more than happy to roll the dice on a replacement Calais if the Camry is the alternative. Interestingly the Toyota Camry is a 3 month wait in that nice mica blue colour, see review posted above. More boring colours like white, silver and similar are a 2 week wait. Good classic accountants car and certain aspects of it resonate with me...but the Beagle still has too many car enthusiast brain cells left floating around to succumb to such mediocrity at this stage of life. Maybe a good car for later when I retire and start wearing beige cardigans

On the Holden Calais reliability thing...those reviews and reliability reports were all based on the previous model made in Australia and yes I can testify to the fact that they had issues with that 5.7 V8 engine because my last Calais I owned in 2000 for 3 years had that engine and had some quality control issues and burned an unusually high amount of oil. (Didn't seize though)

I had thought with the new ZB model now being made in Germany quality control would have lifted but what was I thinking and expecting from a rebadged Opel refitted with GM engine and gearbox technology.

Tomorrow - the Mazda 6 winner of Stuff's executive car of the year for 2018 so it could be interesting. https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/top...ve-car-of-2018
    Mazda 6 is a better performance car however I bet you will still be under underwhelmed performance wise...I look forward to you choosing either..I have plenty of jokes lined up at your expense. You other alternative is to come to Christchurch or LA and drive my Audi or BMW..you will be seduced if you forget abut the money )

I won't be choosing the Camry so all beige cardigan jokes can be dispensed with right here and now

As you know I looked at a 7 Series BMW 750 last year. 5 recalls for various issues in the two demonstrator cars I looked at including heavy oil consumption in their twin turbo 4.4 liter V8 did not inspire confidence as did the historical issues BMW have had with earlier iterations of that engine. I hope you haven't got one of those engine mate

You know BMW is an acronym for Bust My Wallet right
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-02-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Mrs Beagle would think being driven around in a Lexus pretty cool.

Lexus showrooms are pretty nice.
    “Imagination is more important than knowledge.”

Accountant mate has a Lexus RCF and has been very happy with it for years. Never had any drama's with his Lexus's over the years so he tells me.
    I struggle to get it out of my head that all they are is rebadged Toyota's with better quality paint and more up to date technology.

I won't be choosing the Camry so all beige cardigan jokes can be dispensed with right here and now
    Staying with Toyota, there is the 86.

And talking of acronyms. Back in the day FORD was Fix Or Repair Daily, Holden was "jus the rust holdem the bits together", there was of course Toymota or Jap Crap.

There dont seem to be be many modern ones. Actually the only one I can think of off hand is the Holden Craptiva. Maybe there's a clue there.

Getting slightly off topic, I have been looking for a second car like a Rav4 or Honda CRV. Just to use as a runabout or the occasional out of town fishing trip. It won't be electric but I don't want to start another thread. Any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Getting slightly off topic, I have been looking for a second car like a Rav4 or Honda CRV. Just to use as a runabout or the occasional out of town fishing trip. It won't be electric but I don't want to start another thread. Any suggestions.
    The car I mentioned in my post #1041 was a Subaru Outback. One criteria was a boot long enough to sleep in.

Happy Chinese New Year Beagle,

I've been off the boards since before Xmas with holidays with the family, fishing with family and mates on the boat and settling back into work. It's crazy a month of 2019 has slipped by and we're already past the year of the dog and into the first day of the year of the pig.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the Calais engine - a complete failure is extremely unusual in this day and age and the GM V6 has been around for a long time so you would have thought that it would have had a fair bit of development. The ZB is also sold as the Buick Regal in the US sourced from the same German factory - interestingly there are over 200 TSBS (Technical Service Bulletins) for the car issued by the National Highway Transportation Safety Authority (NHTSA)... here are the summaries here... https://www.carcomplaints.com/Buick/Regal/2018/tsbs/

These include a number around engine bore damage - however, getting copies of these requires paying for them.

You have another option which is to return your car to the dealer for a full refund. The car essentially is not fit for purpose (the engine failed) and essentially even if the engine is replaced then you have a car where the VIN and the engine number doesn't match which indicates an engine replacement. That isn't going to help with resale value to anyone who knows enough to check these numbers - which given they are a matter of public record on registration isn't hard.

In terms of a replacement car - that's an option if you think you still want the car.

Hpwever, the $64,000ish question I'd ask you is - if you knew someone who had purchased a ZB Calais and the engine had seized in less than 1000 km would you have purchased one for yourself. If the answer is 'no or probably not' then I'd think you should get a refund, sit on the cash and think about what to buy. If Holden do suggest selling you another Calais I'd wait and wait until you see a really good deal on one before you shell for another one - they aren't selling very well. The factory has stopped making them for the time being (and I understand that potentially applies to the US bound Buicks as they have inventory issues as well).

Toyotas - disc: I drive one. I drove something else which was much more interesting to drive but got sick of the reliability issues as the car got older and having to deal with the crap service at the dealership. The Highlander is boring - it's a Camry V6 with a high riding chassis, AWD and SUV packaging which means for the given length it's much more spacious so it can carry seven at a pinch but importantly I can carry a rotary hoe in the back without a trailer if the seats are folded down, I can put both boys in with their car seats, a veritable tsunami of luggage and toys and drive comfortably for hours on cruise control. It's efficient in my effort to drive it, reliable, relatively thirsty at 15.4l/100km urban but I can get it to do 9.7l/100km on holidays but nothing falls off, everything works and nothing cutting edge to worry about.

My partner had a Toyota Corolla - again reliable, boring motoring which is great which is what she wanted. We've upgraded it to a recent Hyundai i30 with the 124 kW 2.0 litre direct injection - has much more features than a Corolla but it has a 6 speed regular auto (not a CVT or a DCT) and doesn't worry the insurance company (although it apparently does 0-100 kmh in 7 seconds which is 90s hot hatch material).

I drove the 3.5 litre V6 Honda Accord in Australia last year - but it seems it's disappeared from Honda's order list in NZ late last year and it was pretty pricey. It's a good car and roomy enough but alas it isn't an option - which is odd considering that the old Honda Accord Euro was a smart private buyer's choice for a long time.

Every so often I rent or borrow something vaguely interesting to drive - like a V8 Mustang GT which has terrible NVH - noise, vibration, harshness and handles like a labrador on shiny lino in the wet - the 4 cylinder EcoBoost handles better (neither would be good in a crash) but misses the point as it's a throwback to another era. Same for a Camaro (a new one or a 60s one) - terrible cars for day to day propositions but...

... in the real world, I can't drive fast. Most of my journey time is at average speed of 34 km/h and there's nowhere to go fast anymore. It's mindless 100 km/h and you still have to watch for inattentive drivers playing with their phones going thru red lights, wandering out of their lanes, crossing the centre line, Lime Scooter riders and middle aged motorbike riders either lane splitting or leaning their crash helmets on your side of the road. I've driven unrestricted speed public highways heading way over 200 incl the Sturt Highway and autobahns and Auckland is almost as bad as Thailand. At least in Thailand, other drivers are at least paying attention.

As you know I looked at a 7 Series BMW 750 last year. 5 recalls for various issues in the two demonstrator cars I looked at including heavy oil consumption in their twin turbo 4.4 liter V8 did not inspire confidence as did the historical issues BMW have had with earlier iterations of that engine. I hope you haven't got one of those engine mate

You know BMW is an acronym for Bust My Wallet right
    Why have i never had an issue?? Luck...perhaps the point is most MVs do have issues and the key is buy what you like..just do not keep it too long. Clearly you should have been able to hold the holden for a touch long... good grief..the Buick is know as a dog in the US...i hope you can reconcile the hard reality...you pay your money and take your chances..

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    RAV4 over a CRV - the RAV is essentially Corolla underneath esp the FWD ones although I think I’d prefer an AWD where the CRV doesn’t sell as well. You should also think about an X Trail or the forgotten forerunner of the category which was the Suzuki Vitara. Leave the euro ones alone - esp anything from France ie PSA or Renault.

The only other is the Mitsi Outlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    RAV4 over a CRV - the RAV is essentially Corolla underneath esp the FWD ones although I think I’d prefer an AWD where the CRV doesn’t sell as well. You should also think about an X Trail or the forgotten forerunner of the category which was the Suzuki Vitara. Leave the euro ones alone - esp anything from France ie PSA or Renault.

The only other is the Mitsi Outlander.
    Agreed...except with the complete opposite. CRV over RAV4 any day, and there are NO other options (maybe Mazda if you're desperate).
    Even compared to the upcoming 2019 RAV4 the CRV is still leagues ahead in build quality. Against the current model RAV there is no competition. Toyota are in all ways a 'volume' manufacturer, and considering their R&D budget there is no excuse for any of the lazy and bad design. One can only assume all the Research and Development is about how to make the car more profitable. Honda actually try to make their cars good. Drive both, touch everything, listen carefully, then read this review. All 'in my opinion' of course.
    ttps://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr-v/2018/2019-toyota-rav4-2018-honda-cr-v-comparison-test/
    All 'in my opinion' of course

Rep - Welcome back to the forum and many thanks for taking the time to make such an informative post which is much appreciated and gives me plenty of food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Mazda 6 is a better performance car however I bet you will still be under underwhelmed performance wise...I look forward to you choosing either..I have plenty of jokes lined up at your expense. You other alternative is to come to Christchurch or LA and drive my Audi or BMW..you will be seduced if you forget abut the money )
    You are right. Most people would be happy with the Mazda 6 but I was underwhelmed and frankly it was a major surprise that it was more poorly balanced, (too nose heavy and drove like it) and had more body roll in corners than the new Camry. Performance was okay and had more features than the Camry and was comfortable but its not a "drivers car". I rate it 7/10 and significantly inferior to my Holden Calais V. I choose the best car in the early $50'K price range but there is a question over the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Why have i never had an issue?? Luck...perhaps the point is most MVs do have issues and the key is buy what you like..just do not keep it too long. Clearly you should have been able to hold the holden for a touch long... good grief..the Buick is know as a dog in the US...i hope you can reconcile the hard reality...you pay your money and take your chances..
    To your point about it being known to be a dog and not keeping a car too long https://www.carcomplaints.com/Buick/Regal/ Problem rate would appear to be okay for the first 6 years..probably a lower number of issues than for BMW

Rolling the dice on another Commodore is looking like the best option right at the minute. As you suggest, its all a bit of a crap shoot these days and any brand could have the occasional dud no matter how much you pay and what you buy. Sometimes the answer to a problem is right in front of your face https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/roa...zb-commodores/
    I would say the reviewers comments are bang on the money and the little turbo 2.0 engine in my loan car is an absolute peach and seems to hook up with the all new 9 speed auto in a manner that extracts every last one of the 191 kw's of power. The fact that the 2.0 turbo cars are a full 200 kg's lighter, (something the reviewer missed), (source carsguide) makes the front rear weight balance much sweeter on the smaller engine version, improves the handling considerably and the brakes work better too...basically everything works better with a full 200 kg's less weight. If one can put aside all the fruit...the problem is there is a LOT of fruit, (things like heads-up display, Bose stereo, radar cruise control, heated, ventilated and massaging seats e.t.c.) the base spec Commodores delivers in spades when it comes to the core driving experience.

Key to the performance of these smaller engine Commodores is the fact that they weigh only ~ 100 kg's more than a Toyota Corolla.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-02-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Membaa

Someone had to come up with a commodity electric car, look what this lot are upto: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tes-and-europe

Won't inspire the V8 lovers or driver enthusiasts (boring), but hard to ignore as an emerging class of transport for the masses.
    BAA

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Agreed...except with the complete opposite. CRV over RAV4 any day, and there are NO other options (maybe Mazda if you're desperate).
    Even compared to the upcoming 2019 RAV4 the CRV is still leagues ahead in build quality. Against the current model RAV there is no competition. Toyota are in all ways a 'volume' manufacturer, and considering their R&D budget there is no excuse for any of the lazy and bad design. One can only assume all the Research and Development is about how to make the car more profitable. Honda actually try to make their cars good. Drive both, touch everything, listen carefully, then read this review. All 'in my opinion' of course.
    ttps://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr-v/2018/2019-toyota-rav4-2018-honda-cr-v-comparison-test/
    All 'in my opinion' of course
    I’m on my 4th Honda, 2 new Euro’s when I worked...great cars...and my second older model CRV.
    Enough of a 4 wheel drive for most of what I need. I put a search on trademe and it eventually turned up a 2006 (I think) CRV with only 30k on the clock. I’ll have if for a long time even tho it is a bit thirsty.

Yep...I’m a Honda fan.