sharetrader
Page 94 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495 LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1416
    Dilettante

Iíve just spent one month in Iceland. Thereís a lot of discussion about the issue of EVs. 100% of the electricity in Iceland is renewable. In the last 12 months, 25% of new cars sold have been EVs.
    Last week the Icelandic Government came out with a plan and said fuel taxes are history. Now they want to introduce road user charges completely controlled electronically so your car will be charged for travelling on the roads. Lots of charges during peak traffic hours, less in modest traffic hours and free during off peak traffic. Also part of the discussion is looking at delaying Universities starting hours to spread heavy traffic and options of moving the biggest hospital to the city fringes. Traffic lights to be controlled by new computer systems that will run them by demand., rather than people sitting on red lights in no traffic. Why are we not talking about anything like this in NZ rather than just talking and talking like Jacinda with no real options or Julie AnneGenter wanting everyone on bikes.
    And before some start, they are also looking at huge increases in walking, biking,bus and train services.
    US$ 1.5 Billion extra over next 10 years for Reykjavik, a city (and surrounds) of 200,000 people, meant to stop traffic jams totally and reducing emissions from vehicles by something like 50%
    Last edited by iceman; 05-10-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: addition

Update Ready To Install

On first read that sounds brilliant. Getting people on buses too would be great. I was the only one on the bus today one way.With what looks like a a recent fit out, cool decor lots of glass to view, regular frequent buses its a no brainer but getting folks out of lifetime habits, well seems they will have to hurt them in their pockets as above.

Meanwhile.Just hope Tesla doesn't go bust.
    Tesla Model 3 outsells total of all other new electric cars in New Zealand

Tesla Model 3 electric vehicle smashes sales records, recasts Australia car market
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 04-10-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Not surprised there is a burst of activity for the Model 3. The vast majority of the deliveries will be backed up orders people have placed quite some time ago that Tesla has finally been able to build in right hand drive. I don't think this represents a new normal at all in terms of their monthly sales volume.
    That said some kudos is due in that the Model 3 performance version at $102,900 as this is probably the quickest brand new car you can buy in N.Z. for ~ $100K.
    Most reports I have read suggest you slightly below normal American build "quality".

Just admit it JT, the only reason you catch a bus is because its free with your Gold card Thanks for the links. It will be interesting to see where their monthly sales settle down to in early 2020 once the long backlog of orders is filled.

In other EV news, the new Porsche Taycan will be here Q2 - Q3 2020 and for those who like the legendary Porsche handing and build quality with their EV its looks like they're in for a real treat ! Very deep pockets required to afford the entry price https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/roa...car-the-taycan
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-10-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

And for those that love old cars.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYuohLzVdg

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Physics: energy required to produce hydrogen, compress it/refrigerate it, transport it.
    Economics: cost of building a hydrogen distribution network. Order of magnitude greater than building petrol stations, as you can't just dig a hole and drop tanks into it with a couple of electric pumps to lift it to the bowser. https://h2stationmaps.com/costs-and-financing

Safety: hydrogen is bloody dangerous. hydrogen embrittlement is a fun one, UEL and LEL mean almost any hydrogen leak results in a highly explosive situation, so bugger the idea of driving around with a tank of hydrogen at 10,000psi under my butt.

The only advantage of hydrogen over battery is refuelling time. But for 95%+ of most drivers typical use its a non-issue, as charging will happen while car is parked up overnight or during the day at work. Its only on road trips that its going to make a difference, and it wont be long before battery technology advances to the point that is almost irrelevant too. As it is Hyundai Ioniq Ev charges from empty to 80% in 25mins. So plug in, go take a toilet stop, have a coffee and you are ready to go. As it is a road trip from auckland to wellington in Tesla S100D wouldn't take any longer than it takes me in my petrol car, as It needs one stop to top up the battery (for a whole 8 minutes!), which would be at Taupo where I would stop for a meal break anyway. The smaller 75D tesla requires 30mins of charging, so not a major inconvenience.
    There is one major advantage of battery over hydrogen or any other energy source and that is bi-directional charging which interests Nissan so much that they have the capability already.
    I am looking at installing solar and feel I could have a lot more home solar for less if I dispense with home battery and use an ev instead as the house battery.So far Nissan appear to be the only company doing it .It would be really good if the Tesla model y had this capability.I guess the alternative if for my wife to have a Leaf and also used as the home battery.I do feel we know enough about the disadvantages of the leaf battery and how it can be made to last 10 times longer by judicial charging and discharging and my wife would be very good at this.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    There is one major advantage of battery over hydrogen or any other energy source and that is bi-directional charging which interests Nissan so much that they have the capability already.
    I am looking at installing solar and feel I could have a lot more home solar for less if I dispense with home battery and use an ev instead as the house battery.So far Nissan appear to be the only company doing it .It would be really good if the Tesla model y had this capability.I guess the alternative if for my wife to have a Leaf and also used as the home battery.I do feel we know enough about the disadvantages of the leaf battery and how it can be made to last 10 times longer by judicial charging and discharging and my wife would be very good at this.
    To get the best from solar you will probably need a battery always available. I suppose it depends on local conditions and orientation of house/panels. I'm in Dunedin and my system cycles the battery up and down all day, (and then drains to flat at night) so using an EV to power the house, which I fully intend to do sometime in the future, I will still need the battery I have.

Seeing as one is getting almost nothing in terms of interest on money at call and we still have an exemption from road user charges for a while longer and 5 year old Nissan Leaf's can be had for as little as $13,000 now...I think the economics of owning a used Leaf as a second car for short journey's are looking pretty good.
    Thinking I might get my sandals out, hug a few trees and test drive a couple of examples and see what the Beagle clan think...
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-10-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Govt leading by example ? https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-ne...from-ev-target It seems they're all "torque" and no action. Where are they at with the road user charges exemption ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Update Ready To Install

EV's still so pricey. As an incremental step , they could import many used Plug in Prius's and Outlanders etc way cheaper.These (prius's anyway)do very high mileages (ask any taxi driver) and a friend who has one is getting GREAT economy with a highly reduced carbon footprint.

15.5L/618km = 2.51L/100km
    93 US MPG
    112 UK MPG

Plain old vanilla Toyota Corolla hybrid with no range anxiety gives a very good return on the modest (about $3K) extra cost over and above a regular Toyota Corolla.
    I had one for a rental for nearly a week in Queenstown. Most people would be happy with it I reckon apart from the boot size which is very small.

If the NZ Govt is not leading by example with their massive $7.5 Billion surplus I reckon its a poor show and they're just paying lip service to climate change.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-10-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Trying to get outta here

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Plain old vanilla Toyota Corolla hybrid with no range anxiety gives a very good return on the modest (about $3K) extra cost over and above a regular Toyota Corolla.
    I had one for a rental for nearly a week in Queenstown. Most people would be happy with it I reckon apart from the boot size which is very small.

If the NZ Govt is not leading by example with their massive $7.5 Billion surplus I reckon its a poor show and they're just paying lip service to climate change.
    Just tax theft and no bracket adjustment for 10yrs, stuff the EV's until they walk the talk.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Govt leading by example ? https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-ne...from-ev-target It seems they're all "torque" and no action. Where are they at with the road user charges exemption ?
    Beagle, they're busy working on the policies, procedures and processes. . . . soon there will be a review. . . . followed by some consultation. . . .after which we can all initiate a suitably moderated conversation. . . in anticipation of the inevitable judicial review.

Sigh. . .

In the meantime, the government needs to be pushing from behind, with infrastructure installation and implementation, and pulling from the front with active support for purchasing requirements.

Somewhere in a box on a shelf in a dark, dank storage cupboard in a back room in a Ministry in Wellington there's sure to be an old, dog-eared copy of a plan from the 1980s to convert the national vehicle fleet from petrol to CNG/LPG.

Perhaps someone could kill the silverfish, blow the dust off, and take it home for a quick browse one weekend. Soon?
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 12-10-2019 at 05:32 PM.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/roa...-3-performance I won't be rushing out to buy one.

Update Ready To Install

Seeing as one is getting almost nothing in terms of interest on money at call and we still have an exemption from road user charges for a while longer and 5 year old Nissan Leaf's can be had for as little as $13,000 now...I think the economics of owning a used Leaf as a second car for short journey's are looking pretty good.
    Thinking I might get my sandals out, hug a few trees and test drive a couple of examples and see what the Beagle clan think...
    Good for you, appreciate your research here.