sharetrader
Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1613

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I think I would find that scary
    Last year on a visit to my brother in wales UK I found his BMW more scary than going up in his hot air balloon(Planes were flying below us and I was crouched low in the basket)
    My Leaf is so much fun in so many different ways and feels very safe
    Yeah I was a bit younger and quite possibly a bit mentally sharper when I had that 540 horsepower supercharged V8 beast...but what a great experience it was...you really felt alive when winding it right out on full throttle I tell ya I should've kept that puppy !!
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Veteran novice

I should've kept that puppy !!
    It might have grown to be a dog, Beagle.

Better to have the memories...….

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    It might have grown to be a dog, Beagle.

Better to have the memories...….

Yeah, I think you're probably right.
    Anyway...back to EV's its now been revealed that the new Porsche Taycan turbo is faster that the ludicrious mode Tesla S and even faster accelerating than a Bugatti Veyron !!
    https://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/e...tats-revealed/

This is the one we've all been waiting for. Really "affordable" too lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nODsrmsuPb8

Julie-Anne Genter's feebate scheme dead in the water https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12310981
    Personally I think it made quite a lot of sense. EV's and very fuel efficient vehicles get a subsidy of up to $8,000 and gas guzzlers pay a tax of up to $3,000.

I guess this at least gives EV owners some certainty of the state of the play field so these vehicles either stand on their own merits or people are prepared to pay a premium to help the environment. I think planting some trees probably confers a more meaningful and enduring benefit to the environment and is a lot cheaper way to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Julie-Anne Genter's feebate scheme dead in the water https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12310981
    Personally I think it made quite a lot of sense. EV's and very fuel efficient vehicles get a subsidy of up to $8,000 and gas guzzlers pay a tax of up to $3,000.

I guess this at least gives EV owners some certainty of the state of the play field so these vehicles either stand on their own merits or people are prepared to pay a premium to help the environment. I think planting some trees probably confers a more meaningful and enduring benefit to the environment and is a lot cheaper way to make a difference.
    Link asks me to subscribe so could not read the article. But as you say, $8K fee - is this applied on the importer end or on the consumer end? Because I would certainly be looking for that price difference on the car lot. ie if i'm looking a the Kia Kona which is around $75K vs the petro model at $30K - under the new tax incentive. the EV Kona would be $67K and the petro model would be $33K. Still miles away in bridging the EV gap.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I've only done a quick'n'dirty comparison in the UK (Nissan & Hyundai), but on the New Zealand prices you gave, the differential in New Zealand for electric vs petrol isn't way over the top. Hyundai UK is GBP17,355 for an i30 vs GBP29,950 for an Ioniq.

However that $25,000 "extra" per car over a New Zealand vehicle fleet of about two million vehicles comes to about fifty billion bucks on an annual GDP of about three hundred billion.

In this scenario, the government simply cannot offer enough of a carrot to make an appreciable difference. And I don't believe that there is enough capital in the country to allow too much use of the stick.

So to decarbonize the New Zealand vehicle fleet there seems to be no option other than to wait for the rest of the world to decarbonize and go along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Apparently a fair bit of lobbying with NZF from rural interests saying that it will create a situation where poorer rural folk who may not practically be able to use or afford an EV will be effectively subsidising those in urban areas to drive around in their Teslas - so hence going to the election. So only likely to happen if there is Labour Green government without NZF and unlikely in any other scenario that I can plausibly envisage (i.e. as it will be nigh on impossible for a National/Green coalition to happen and hence a negotiated item in a coalition agreement).

There's also an argument that growing harvestable pine trees on scrub land doesn't do a lot long term for carbon sequestration compared to restoration to a native forest too. The only way that EVs are going to get across the line and make a meaningful proportion of the fleet is via a subsidy in purchase or some significant change to the economics of ownership. Otherwise we will continue to see more diesel utes dominate the sales charts for some time to come and the choice of EV variants like the Kona are simply not going to be significant if you compare the total cost of ownership over time.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Link asks me to subscribe so could not read the article. But as you say, $8K fee - is this applied on the importer end or on the consumer end? Because I would certainly be looking for that price difference on the car lot. ie if i'm looking a the Kia Kona which is around $75K vs the petro model at $30K - under the new tax incentive. the EV Kona would be $67K and the petro model would be $33K. Still miles away in bridging the EV gap.
    You can plant a lot of native trees for $1,000, let alone a $34,000 price difference...finally something we can agree on

@ Beagle : it seems German engineering isn't that great either with the Porsche Taycan presenting panel gap problems no different to the Tesla variants.

https://insideevs.com/news/405366/po...nel-gap-video/

"The video states the Porsche has minor gap issues, much less severe than the one Voigt spotted in Munich, but that shows once again legacy automakers, as experienced as they are in the “dinosaur stuff” of manufacturing, are not that much better than Tesla. In this case, it is even worse: the presenter compares the Taycan to his own Tesla Model 3 and he sees nothing to complain regarding panel gaps in his ride."

These auto-online-magazine reviewers have an opinion to sell their reviews. I much rather prefer the words of the individual that owns the Cayman like in my previous link. Not some window dressed car auto mfgs send to reviewers.

With this Corona Virus spreading around the world, the last thing I would want to touch is a new European built car. The EU is in deep deep doo doo.

Not much point owning a fancy car at the moment when all you can do is drive it to the supermarket and back lol
    Autocar have a good reputation in the industry for calling it as it is. Everyone's a journalist these days with the internet and forums...very few have decades of credibility like Autocar.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    These auto-online-magazine reviewers have an opinion to sell their reviews. I much rather prefer the words of the individual that owns the Cayman like in my previous link. Not some window dressed car auto mfgs send to reviewers.

With this Corona Virus spreading around the world, the last thing I would want to touch is a new European built car. The EU is in deep deep doo doo.
    I have an interest in a Porsche dealership in a main US city, joe public does not agree with you, we have a five month waiting list and yes quality will always vary regardless who you represent. We are closed now yet all stock sold off the yard before lock down with 11 demos all that remain on the books currently. Oh and a trade in 2020 M5 which is in my LA garage