sharetrader
Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1099
    Update Ready To Install

Still makes much more common sense in my opinion to buy an ICE car and plant a few trees to soak up the CO2 in my opinion.
    Especially when the barrel price of oil is dropping. IMO, all these EVs (apart from Tesla) are just glorified golf carts because to pay $60K for an EV where the ICE model is less than half price tells me that it just doesn't make sense. Tesla knew from the start that it's a hard sell once you start putting prices in the $75K range which offers nothing more than the ICE version. What Telsa has is their infotainment, semi-autonomous driving, supercar acceleration speed, all at price that is reasonable for the performance. But to pay $75K for an EV in NZ that doesn't offer those features? C'mon... it's nothing but a glorified golf cart.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    What tunnel are you living in?

G3 starting at $30,000 before subsidies , in China. Prices ,as they have to for mass take-up, coming down

What tunnel are you living in?

G3 starting at $30,000 before subsidies , in China. Prices ,as they have to for mass take-up, coming down
    30,000 Euros.. (https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/16...ar-for-e30000/)

or ~ NZD$51,000. so about twice the price of base model corolla. and from some unknown Chinese car company with unknown quality and engineering.

Buy the corolla and outlay half as much up front, then dribble out ~$4k a year (based on 20,000kms a year at 10km/l) in paying for gas, and you're still ahead after 6 years when you'll probably want to upgrade.

Update Ready To Install

The principle reason is to reduce ones carbon footprint.

"G3 starting at $30,000 before subsidies , in China. Prices ,as they have to for mass take-up, coming down"

The principle reason is to reduce ones carbon footprint.

"G3 starting at $30,000 before subsidies , in China. Prices ,as they have to for mass take-up, coming down"
    Random unattributed price statement does your argument no favours.. are those US dollars? Who said that?

Ah, yes, its ~$33k USD dollars, or ~$50k NZ dollars. My numbers are close enough. "It starts at just 227,800 yuan (~$33,000 USD) before subsidies." https://electrek.co/2018/12/13/tesla-inspired-ev-startup-xiaopeng-all-electric-suv/

Feel free to throw stupid amounts of money away on buying an electric car which will be charged by.. burning fossil fuels anyway. (our renewable generation is maxed out already, so marginal generation is fossil fuel anyway.) So you are paying a huge price premium for a potentially very dodgy Chinese car, and only marginally reducing your footprint anyway.

Update Ready To Install

im transparent as i can be about the pricing having to come down for take-up by people who dont value the future on this planet, such as yourself; and totally believe it will. Blind freddy?
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 04-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Fine ignore the facts. your money, go waste it.

Update Ready To Install

Shellfish. Big losses coming for ICE owners and good job.
    Electric cars may already be making gas cars as obsolete as ‘flip phones’, experts say

If you're that concerned you can buy me a Tesla and i'll get rid of one of the ICEs. I'm just not going to waste my money on an overpriced EV that can't even do Akl-Welly on a charge.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    If you're that concerned you can buy me a Tesla and i'll get rid of one of the ICEs. I'm just not going to waste my money on an overpriced EV that can't even do Akl-Welly on a charge.
    That shouldn't be a problem. Get an A frame and a proper car to tow it.

Update Ready To Install

Base model Tesla S in base spec is now $130,000 here. I looked over one at the EV show they had at Alexander park last year and noted the comical panel gaps of a standard well below even my Chrysler that I owned at the time. I also had a good look at the latest model Nissan Leaf the 40 kw hr version and found that underwhelming.

The Hyundai Kona full electric high spec version for $79.9K impressed in terms of the quality of finish, fit and equipment and nothing wrong with 400 km's range. If you have an extra $40K - $50K over an above a regular ICE Hyundai Kona and don't mind rampant depreciation that would be a reasonable choice. The VW electric Golf impressed but has limited range and is $65K including heated leather seats, 220 km's range and would make a fine quality city car for early adopters with very good European standard build quality. The Kona and the Golf would be my pick of what I saw there if I was going electric....but I have no time of inclination to buy vehicles that don't suit me and lose tens of thousands of dollars in excess depreciation just to impress someone else or theoretically make some microscopic difference to the planet. The new Holden Calais is really impressing me and we will be planting quite a few trees this year on our farm which will still be soaking up CO2 long after Mr and Mrs Beagle have gone. More than one way to skin a cat in terms of making a difference for the environment.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Every time I fly Air NZ, and click the 'offset carbon' button I wonder how many more trees we can plant. There must be a limit after all, and once they are fully grown, they are carbon neutral.
    NZ Electricity Generation here http://www.em6live.co.nz/PlanningReg...ningregion=usi
    Plenty of spare renewable capacity.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-01-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add the link