sharetrader
Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1145

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    NZ Electricity Generation here http://www.em6live.co.nz/PlanningReg...ningregion=usi
    Plenty of spare renewable capacity.

https://www.transpower.co.nz/system-...generation-mix

Quote Originally Posted by Transpower
    Coal, gas and oil-fired (collectively 'thermal') generation typically make up about 20-25% of New Zealand's total annual electricity supply.Geothermal, co-generation and wind collectively contribute about 20%. Thermal output varies from year to year and season to season depending on hydro storage and inflows. In extended dry periods more thermal generation is needed to conserve hydro storage.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the people that run the network, rather than someone that thinks the current load at 2pm in the middle of summer holidays is somehow relevant.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Every time I fly Air NZ, and click the 'offset carbon' button I wonder how many more trees we can plant. There must be a limit after all, and once they are fully grown, they are carbon neutral.
    NZ Electricity Generation here http://www.em6live.co.nz/PlanningReg...ningregion=usi
    Plenty of spare renewable capacity.
    Yep and at some point we won't renew the Aluminium smelters power contract so there another huge reserve (15-20%) or something like that. And petrol heads and shellfish can watch this and be reborn (or shredded at the wheel, their choice).
    https://youtu.be/f_tAJusO944?t=6

IMO, you would only buy a Tesla for the autonomous driving ability. EVERYTHING ELSE are nothing more than glorified golf carts. It doesn't matter about the build quality, that's not what Telsa fans are about because their cars aren't made to win car shows.

I agree, to pay $60K - $90K for a non-Tesla EV is crazy when the ICE version could be less than half price of the EV version. I'm sure there's a bit of glee factor so one could put that to numbers but for petro costs, over 10+ years, how much fuel would the ICE consume?

Interesting conversions to electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz3H0pSQ4Q

Update Ready To Install

Cool, have skimmed some of it (24 mins long) Love the electric Tug pushing barges !

$300 billion on EV's
    Electric vehicles: Follow the money How much are automakers spending?

Big deal with electric boats....the Japanese used 2 man electric subs at Pearl Harbour.....
    Last edited by ari; 29-01-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Hey Mr Beagle, how is your engine issue proceeding?? if you may let on

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Big deal with electric boats....the Japanese used 2 man electric subs at Pearl Harbour.....
    Big deal? Pretty myopic and pointless post .

Generally I don't think we have reached a turning point. Tesla is a piece of plastic junk and no where near making a profit. I also don't like the fact that it is mostly plastic. What is that 80k car going to look like in 10 years time of being in the sun constantly? There is also an issue with battery safety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q.

In cities I can see electric cars taking off due to the small distances and benefit of no emissions but not in more remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Speaking of engine issues I have my own and it really rocks your confidence. Brand new ZB Commodore Calais V delivered just before Christmas. Engine seized 20 days and 850 km's later.
    ICEd

Thats a serious OMGoodness. Did it need a longer run-in?

No doubt you will get some good compensation etc but wow I really didnt think this happened in these modern days.

Maybe should've got a Toyota
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

I was especially grumpy on the forum yesterday...the seized engine is a real bloody headache, figuratively and literally, (yesterday).
    Been mulling this over and over and you guessed it over...shat itself on 11 January so you'd think I would have processed this but NO.

Holden Calais V $63K retail driveaway, actual price paid $53K was supposed to be a sensible conservative choice after many years of wasting considerably more on higher performance and luxurious vehicles. Very well equipped for that sort of money, see holden.co.nz if you want to know more.
    But its no good if its a lemon is it !

Central to the issue of what is really grinding my gears is this, and it really gets me hot under my dog collar
    New Holdens purchased by anyone in Australia come with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, (Kiwi's just get the minimum statutory warranty, 3 years 100,000 km's)
    Further, last year the powerful ACCC reached a settlement with Holden (who have been less than forthcoming with customers over serious issue vehicle remedies) that any vehicle purchased that for any reason becomes undriveable within 60 days of purchase the customer is entitled to a full refund or new vehicle or have the vehicle repaired, whichever choice the customer wants.

Now, lets get down to how this gets fixed for me.

Option 1. They are fitting a new engine to that vehicle (which fortunately they had in stock in Australia) fortunate because if it had to come from Germany where the vehicle is now made it would have been probably 5-6 weeks away. Problem solved right ? No not really. I bought a brand new vehicle not one that's had parts taken off it and a new engine installed. How do I know the new engine has been installed correctly, (local dealer has never done one before in the current model ZB Commodore). Why should I be the Guinea pig and hope for the best with their skimpy warranty and hope a new engine has been installed correctly and hope the various electronics in the engine talk to the cars other systems properly, (there's vast amount of computers and software in these new cars these days so its not just a mechanical thing) ?

Solution - Seeing as I have had a major knock to my confidence - ask for a the same warranty the Australian's get on their Holdens as a special case for me to restore confidence along with the replacement engine. Good logical solution right ?. No, they're not interested in special warranties for me. Okay...then what else ?

2. Another Possible solution A replacement brand new 2019 car. Advantages, will be 2019 registered so theoretical slightly better resale than my former car first registered on 20 December 2018. Weakness to this solution. It comes with the standard Holden N.Z. warranty and after such a major incident on a motor seized my confidence is severely diminished so how do I know the new engine / car is any good ? Solution, make sure the new car comes with a 5 year warranty ! Opps, No, they won't give me a special warranty. Okay what else ?

3. Another possible solution. Ask for a full refund. This is what I did yesterday. Weakness to this solution. I spent several months combing the N.Z. market for the best fit for me for a fairly modest cost fully featured sedan with good performance. What do I buy if they refund the $53K ? There is really no plan B.

Naturally I've been barking up a fair storm over this to Holden and the dealer.

Situation, Unhappy, perplexed Beagle. Beagle's don't sleep well when they're perplexed which makes the dog even grumpier and more prone to loud barking and biting.

Holdens approach to this.

Dealer has been very good and I have a current model ZB Commodore (base model) as a loan car while we try and clean up this **** mess.
    Holden Australia customer care called yesterday and asked what resolution I wanted. I really didn't want the call as Mrs Beagle had suggested to me I take a day off from the stress of dealing with this ****.

Whichever option I choose looks like a choice between the least of 3 ugly sisters, all of which are ugly...there is no real satisfactory outcome because even option 3 a cash refund involves finding some other car that represents plan B.

Current position. Holden Aust are referring this up the management chain and looking at a full refund but haven't agreed to it yet.

Do I take a chance on another brand new identical car in the hope that two lemon's in a row is extremely unlikely or is that the definition of insanity, doing the same thing again and hoping for a different outcome ?

Plan B at this stage for similar money looks like a top spec Mazda 6 or Toyota Camry...neither of which are especially appealing or I could ante-up and get some fancy Euro again... (market sucks and don't feel especially inclined that way at the moment)

Moral of the story, when you have a good horse, (former car was a Chrysler SRT8) that's going well don't change it even if its thirsty.

Maybe I should play at being a good well behaved Beagle, (doesn't come naturally) and roll over, wag my tail and play nice and take another new identical car and hope for the best ? I could always legal up if the second one fails too but who needs the drama ?...all I want is peace of mind and a good new car for sensible money..that's not too much to ask is it ?

Thoughts on how to clean up this bloody mess ?

P.S. I am not going to ante-up and pay $150K for a Jaguar I Pace or $130K for a Tesla S so please don't suggest those options JT.
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-02-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Membaa

What a mess, feel sorry for you especially as you were so excited about it and put so much effort into research and finding a perfect fit vehicle. In the same circumstances I'd take the refund, I agree about not wanting a replacement engine for reasons you've said, and I wouldn't want a new car that 'might' go bang again. It might be a one off isolated case but worrying that it could be a bigger recurring issue for others, and even if a replacement didn't bust, the re-sale market might be a lot less agreeable if it turns out to truely be a lemon.

FWIW, I prefer euro, BMW mainly 5 series with a few years on it but low mileage, which I can buy at about half what you paid for yours new, less trade-in so about $half again. I find with this MO I get a decent sorted car with all the new-car issues gone away and a very stable ride for 5 years or so. I buy a 3 year autosure insurance just in case anything expensive breaks.

In my personal experience it's a fallacy that the euros cost more to maintain, having had five of them they cost about the same to service and maintain as my jappers and fords did. I've never owned a holden so can't speak for them. As an aside, regardless of what happens with my cars, and from time to time I've really screwed up (like filling the diesel Prado with petrol .. boom $ouch), I never let it wind me up, there's more important things than letting a motorcar get me down.
    BAA

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Do I take a chance on another brand new identical car in the hope that two lemon's in a row is extremely unlikely ..........
    That's the answer. You obviously like the car and feel it's the best at the price. You almost certainly won't have another motor seizing, plus you will have a 2019 model. That puts you in a better position than where you started. And if a mechanical failure really upsets you, don't spend one more second of your life contemplating anything European.

First step is yo find out cause of seizing.

If it is a manufacturing/component fault you need comfort that your new engine isn't from the same batch.

If it's a technology fault (computers not calculating oil supply - or whatevet) you need comfort that they have the technological issue solved.

Me - I'd be after the cash.

Thanks guys. Minimoke They have a brand new model year 2019 car in the identical colour in their warehouse facility in South Auckland and the dealer has provisionally earmarked this car for me so at least I won't have to wait two months again like last time if I choose this option. For them to be in this position it is highly likely this replacement car arrived on same ship mine did when it docked in mid December last year and therefore if there is a batch problem or a systemic problem with that engine I think there's a fair chance the replacement car could have the same issue.

As you say Baa Baa a fair bit of time was spent researching this and having to wait nearly 2 months for the colour I wanted and for this to happen...talk about sucking the wind out of your sails.

fungus pudding, yes it's a very good car at that price point and I do like it but minimoke makes a good point about batch problems.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to take a Mazda 6 and Toyota Camry for a drive...I tried to work up some enthusiasm for this this afternoon but couldn't work up even the slightest bit of enthusiasm to get back on the horse in terms of evaluating alternatives.
    Needless to say this drama has cast a shadow over my summer. I know its just a car but who needs this sort of **** over the holidays ?
    I bought a brand new car, (not a demo, not a new car that had sat on the dealers yard for months, a brand new factory fresh car) for complete peace of mind and all I get is a big drama and a big dilemma. Talk about having to eat a **** sandwich !

Compounding the problem is Mrs Beagle is not a car person, she sees a car as a device to simply get from A to B. She can't see what I am worried about or any problem with taking a replacement car and talking to her about it is like beating my head against the side of the dog kennel. She also thinks this dog is nuts tossing and turning at night over this so this bloody mess is causing other problems too.

Another issue is what will Holden agree to do ? Its all very well me trying to work out what I want, but whether they agree to it without a big fight through the Motor Vehicle disputes tribunal, (more drama) is another thing. Holden have said they will update me on their position late next week, (may not be a final decision).
    I guess I will try and work up some enthusiasm to test drive the aforementioned alternatives before then. There is no joy in this further evaluation process...To be honest about it I think I'd rather go to the dentist ! I tell myself I might be surprised and one of these alternatives might be better than I expected...doing a psych job on myself...this is what it has come too

What should have been a good 2019 summer with a happy dog playing happily with his new toy with peace of mind has gone and no warranty will ever bring that back.

I guess the thing with cash is it gives me all options going forward...and I could always buy another one after getting the cash back if I came around to feeling especially brave or stupid. Take their cash and add plenty more to it and try and find something that really gets the tail wagging into overdrive is very tempting...when life gives you lemon's make lemonade right ?
    This looks good...gotta be some joy to be had there https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1910955938 or really let the moths out of the wallet and get this https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...bef86d42e0d08e life is short, more years behind me than ahead and you can't take it with you and my kids definitely don't deserve it...

First world problems eh...wonder what the starving kids in Ethiopia would make of all this..okay I've done my head in properly now,,,definitely time for a drink or two.
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-02-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).