sharetrader
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384
Results 1,661 to 1,669 of 1669
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    All sounds pretty cool mate. More powerful electric car powered by the sun from solar panels on your roof.
    Hope your solar system works properly. Friend of mine paid $17K for a fancy 12 panel system that's still not working properly more than two years after installation.
    Thanks for the warning.
    I am looking seriously at the most expensive quote-this is from World Solar and includes an invertor(solar edge ) that charges the car with DC plus ac from the grid when the sun does not shine.
    I will post here to let anyone interested on how well the system functions.
    Last edited by fish; 06-08-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Doggedly sniffing out more food Beagle's Avatar

My friend lives on tank supply water and when there's a power cut the inverter is supposed to kick in seamlessly to power up his home from the 5kw/hr battery so they can have power for a while to run a few things including the water pump so they can still have a hot shower from the heated water in the hot water cylinder or heated from the wetback on their fire. Among many problems he has experienced the latest is that the water pump when it kicks in has an initial surge load that is too much of an ask for the invertor to handle and its trips the overload switch. The latest attempt to resolve this problem is they are looking for a surge modulation device that will allow a slow start up of electrical load from the main water pump.

Anyway I have found the PERFECT "green" car for me. Has the same amount of power as a Tesla S on ludicrous mode and the very best European assembly standards...so here is my perfect green car https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-08-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Advanced Member

Thanks for explaining Beagle .I am not going the way of battery storage after initially looking into it and getting a house visit .
    Simply bought a small cheap generator to supply the water pump in case of a power cut.

Keep dreaming about your "green" car but I have feeling you will find an electric alternative that yo would really enjoy.

Yes there's quite a wide range of interesting EV's just over the horizon, (so too speak). The problem I see as someone that enjoys driving genuine high performance cars that handle and drive really well is the weight of the battery packs. Audi with the e tron, Mercedes-Benz with their EQC and Jaguar with their I Pace are all taking battery packs of around 600-700 kg's.
    Some like Tesla are moving to all aluminum construction to try and ameliorate the weight issue to varying degrees of success but all aluminum construction is very expensive and incredibly expensive and difficult to repair properly in an accident.

Most people such as yourself will be perfectly happy with something like your 62 kw/hr Leaf which for most offers very good acceleration but those wanting a true high end high performance EV they appear burdened with this weight issue going forward as most of the manufacturers as I understand it are going to roll out existing EV technology and battery systems onto other vehicle platforms and the weight issue will remain, compromising ride quality, handling and performance.

I'm not really keen on a two ton plus vehicle, (Audi e-tron and Mercedes EQC are about 2500 kg's ! by way of example), even if much of the weight is down low on a skateboard type battery configuration.

Maybe one of the manufacturers will come up with something that really "grabs" me or maybe a way around the weight issue is to simply accept a transitional technology of a plug in hybrid such as this one https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...plug-in-hybrid

Realistically a small battery like 12 kw/hr is going to give this vehicle a real world range of about 30-35 km's, (which would cover 90% of so of my journey's which are mostly quite short) and the rest can be powered up with BMW's well regarded B58 inline six petrol engine. I guess the advantage of a vehicle like that is you have a modest weight penalty from the EV system, the range to cover the vast majority of the trips I would do and effectively unlimited range for longer journey's without the need to plug in when going on longer trips.

What would be quite interesting and something I have earmarked to explore is to drive this new 545-e back to back with the forthcoming 550 x drive petrol. Realistically, (how much of one's driving is really enthusiastic corner carving driving v simply getting from A to B ?), maybe the 545e is the intellectual's choice...but that said does one buy a car with their head or their heart ?

I don't think this sort of transitional technology is as silly as I first thought it was as it confers many of the advantages of a high performance EV without the high weight and cost penalty the Europeans will be conferring upon customers with full electric versions of these sort of cars in the near future.

Apparently this 545e is due for release in November....probably early 2021 by the time it gets here. Got to get something special for my 60th next year, maybe the 545e is just what the doctor ordered Looks pretty good too.
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-08-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yes there's quite a wide range of interesting EV's just over the horizon, (so too speak). The problem I see as someone that enjoys driving genuine high performance cars that handle and drive really well is the weight of the battery packs. Audi with the e tron, Mercedes-Benz with their EQC and Jaguar with their I Pace are all taking battery packs of around 600-700 kg's.
    Some like Tesla are moving to all aluminum construction to try and ameliorate the weight issue to varying degrees of success but all aluminum construction is very expensive and incredibly expensive and difficult to repair properly in an accident.

Most people such as yourself will be perfectly happy with something like your 62 kw/hr Leaf which for most offers very good acceleration but those wanting a true high end high performance EV they appear burdened with this weight issue going forward as most of the manufacturers as I understand it are going to roll out existing EV technology and battery systems onto other vehicle platforms and the weight issue will remain, compromising ride quality, handling and performance.

I'm not really keen on a two ton plus vehicle, (Audi e-tron and Mercedes EQC are about 2500 kg's ! by way of example), even if much of the weight is down low on a skateboard type battery configuration.

Maybe one of the manufacturers will come up with something that really "grabs" me or maybe a way around the weight issue is to simply accept a transitional technology of a plug in hybrid such as this one https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...plug-in-hybrid

Realistically a small battery like 12 kw/hr is going to give this vehicle a real world range of about 30-35 km's, (which would cover 90% of so of my journey's which are mostly quite short) and the rest can be powered up with BMW's well regarded B58 inline six petrol engine. I guess the advantage of a vehicle like that is you have a modest weight penalty from the EV system, the range to cover the vast majority of the trips I would do and effectively unlimited range for longer journey's without the need to plug in when going on longer trips.

What would be quite interesting and something I have earmarked to explore is to drive this new 545-e back to back with the forthcoming 550 x drive petrol. Realistically, (how much of one's driving is really enthusiastic corner carving driving v simply getting from A to B ?), maybe the 545e is the intellectual's choice...but that said does one buy a car with their head or their heart ?

I don't think this sort of transitional technology is as silly as I first thought it was as it confers many of the advantages of a high performance EV without the high weight and cost penalty the Europeans will be conferring upon customers with full electric versions of these sort of cars in the near future.

Apparently this 545e is due for release in November....probably early 2021 by the time it gets here. Got to get something special for my 60th next year, maybe the 545e is just what the doctor ordered Looks pretty good too.
    I would still tempted by the M8 if I can get back to the US...

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Simply bought a small cheap generator to supply the water pump in case of a power cut.
    I did exactly the same thing. Far cheaper to run the water pump and fridge off the generator once a year in a power cut. In any case, my understanding is solar panel systems need to be connected to a live grid to provide power to the house - in the event of a power cut they also cut out so as not to give the lines chaps a fright when repairing the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I would still tempted by the M8 if I can get back to the US...
    If I recall correctly certain aspects of the M8 competition suspension or driveline are being incorporated into the facelifted M5 Competition due for release here in October which gives it the same performance off the line but at a somewhat more sensible price.
    Read a review the other day on the 2020 BMW 550 x drive, 390 kw and 750 nm's, 0-100 in 3.8 seconds that called it the intellectuals M5.
    Referred to it as an "M5 lite". Performance so close to an M5 when its in sport plus mode you can hardly tell the difference and all the comfort and luxury of a 7 series when you hit the comfort button on the adjustable suspension. On paper is sounds like the perfect car to me. $40,000 cheaper than an M5 too.
    Facelifted version of this one that was released in Australia recently https://www.caradvice.com.au/809887/...m550i-pricing/ is coming here in October for $149K retail. I don't suppose you get much off retail if you order when this model is fresh ?...might give them 12 months and then ask for an on the road quote and see what it looks like. (Makes sense to amortize the depreciation hit on my 2019 Holden Calais V over another 12 months of use too...you lose the most in the first year and its only 18 months old)
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-08-2020 at 11:11 PM.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2024-bmw-m5 Hmmm...what do you think Raz ?
    1,000 horsepower next gen electric BMW M5 in the works. I hope they offer free racetrack training with that so people can get their brain's up to speed to cope with the car's performance !...but the truth is BMW are likely to want supercar money.

This test of the 550 x Drive that I have a serious case of "I want one" (facelifted version arrives in N.Z. in October at $149K) proves supercar performance need not cost supercar money https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...-xdrive-review
    0-100 in 3.62 seconds is exceptional but real world 80-120 k.p.h. overtake performance of just 2.06 seconds is genuine supercar performance, all in a sheep in wolf's clothing with a luxury cosseting ride that will keep Mrs Beagle happy. A luxury compliant ride, high tech interior, excellent brakes and handling and supercar performance with 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing inclusive all for $149K. .Hmmm

Interestingly excerpt Raz, "That the M550i Pure is quicker to 100km/h than an M5 Competition while charging almost $100K less proves you’re getting lunatic M-grade performance and unbelievable V8 noise without key drawbacks like a stiff ride". Hmmm
    Really looking forward to test driving one ASAP.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-08-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    I did exactly the same thing. Far cheaper to run the water pump and fridge off the generator once a year in a power cut. In any case, my understanding is solar panel systems need to be connected to a live grid to provide power to the house - in the event of a power cut they also cut out so as not to give the lines chaps a fright when repairing the fault.
    Or they can be designed with an isolation contactor that isolates the house from the public network to prevent that issue.