sharetrader
Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    A top performance Tesla or a Dodge Demon with 840 ponies for around just under 100k US, it's a no brainer mate.
    LOL that would be a LOT of fun. My fuel guzzling 470 horsepower Hemi Chryster SRT8 is hard enough on rear tyres already mate, not sure I could cope with the fuel and tyre bills with 840 horsepower
    My wife is a greenie with her old hybrid car so as a family that makes us carbon neutral, at least that's what I tell myself to make me feel good
    Last edited by Beagle; 28-04-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Trying to get outta here

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I think the Tesla is the fastest production car available (0 to 100)and incredibly no pollution to boot, if i ever used ,no brainer, this would be the time.But I'm over speed needs now and into planet saving.Is their any other reason Green Cars are the future?
    Not quite, the fastest Tesla SP 100D with the ludicrous plus upgrade is on a par with the Dodge Demon at 2.3 secs for 0-60, but the Demon has a quicker 1/4 mile time at 9.65 secs versus 10.5 secs for the Tesla, and it's sounds so much better to boot.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You can now buy an electric car similar in size to a traditional Toyota Corolla / Honda Civic hatchback for the same price as same with circa 200 km's range.
    One example of many available on Trade Me http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1311176116.htm

It won't be the panacea for all people's motoring needs but to me it seems we might be at something of a crossroad in parts of the vehicle market where they've become quite a serious option as a round town shopping basket.

My wife's hybrid is coming up 9 years old and we're keeping an eye on how electric vehicles develop as she's a bit of a greenie.

Would you buy one now for the purpose of a general around town vehicle or wait for further developments, your thoughts ?
    Improvements are coming fast so why wait.Acting now is paramount to help stem global warming; thats why electric cars are here; you can now choose to help or hinder the health of the world going forward. I went to a local council meeting recently; they acknowledge global warming and are working on an 80cm sea rise in our district. Another speaker said hybrid cars are good but no better than small engined cars and Electric is the way to go. Never a better than now imo.I applaud your wife and am sad at your all consuming attitude.

Default Peak Oil anyone?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...emand-in-2030s

worth a read, and have a look at the choice of EV's coming in the next 3 years

Membaa

As soon as they make an all electric vehicle that looks a million bucks and sounds like a Pontiac V8, I'll be in for it. I think the EV's are realising that there is a sensory element to driving, a lot of which is due to the engine and exhaust noise, and without that, the driving experience is diminished.

Never mind, all this 'I love driving' experience will all be over soon enough when the automated vehicles take over, which they seem certain to do sooner than later! We are observing the contemporary version of the end of the horse and cart.

It is inevitable. Us old buggers will soon be answering questions from our grandchildren along the lines of 'did you really have to drive the car yourself grandad'? That's so not cool, like, like, like, way uncool granddad.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It is inevitable. Us old buggers will soon be answering questions from our grandchildren along the lines of 'did you really have to drive the car yourself grandad'?
    Even today a stick shift is impossible for so many ..... Let alone such things as double declutching.

Advanced Member

Reminds me of a female friend that went to Canada. Applied for her drivers licence and when she turned up with a stick shift, the testing officer asked if she could drive it . Where did she come from and upon her answer of New Zealand. Immediately issued the licence without any test.

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Even today a stick shift is impossible for so many ..... Let alone such things as double declutching.
    This was another reason for getting my trusty Yaris - it's a manual. And if I have a flat battery in the middle of nowhere I can even bump start it. Both of us prefer manuals and both of our cars are manuals but it gets harder and harder to keep this standard up.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Ah - depreciation. I reckon the single biggest cost of owning a car - only made worse if the "asset" is bought via debt. A cost that that seems to be justified by the "enjoyment" value of driving an upmarket vehicle and a cost that causes my scottish blood to freeze when i consider it.
    If the vehicle is older then depreciation may not be the biggest cost. My trusty Echo (in that it never broke down once) had the following annual costs, having being bought 7 years old and sold and fourteen, and sold a little cheaper because someone in the family (not me) had backed into a tree!

Annual mean average depreciation: $649
    Annual mean average petrol costs (which did increase!): $1,195
    Annual mean average other costs (WOF / service / insurance etc): $1,030

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post

Annual mean average depreciation: $649
    Annual mean average petrol costs (which did increase!): $1,195
    Annual mean average other costs (WOF / service / insurance etc): $1,030
    I've had the 2011 Yaris only 1 3/4 years so the comparison is not fair but petrol is obviously more expensive now (although use of petrol is only 0.1 litre per 100km more), depreciation is less (because the car was bought very cheaply) and other costs are similar.

Toyota aren't known for their low pollution high economy engines unfortunately.
    I agree, but Toyotas are known for their reliability.

According to my mechanic (aka the mechanic at the local garage where I get the car serviced etc) the only fault he has seen with the likes of an Echo or Yaris is that one water pump has had to be replaced. An affordable car that doesn't break down can do wonders for your bank balance, especially if not bought on debt.

The replaced Echo with the dent in the boot (apparently the tree jumped out at my wife) was sold for $3,800. I was a bit despondent that the purchaser needed a bank loan to buy a 14 year old car with a dent in the back....

Update Ready To Install

It seems to me that few here have any conception what comes out the back of their exhaust is the problem. On the news today; people living close to the water will not be able to insure their houses soon due to Global warming ; sea surges, sea rising.
    Electric cars are here to partially mitigate/solve the pollution problem; the days of the internal combustion engine are numbered.We are all in this together; we need to solve this (if not too late) together.Be apart of the solving or become a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    If the vehicle is older then depreciation may not be the biggest cost.
    Perhaps i should have been clearer. I meant depreciation on a new vehicle. I reckon the most expensive drive you will ever do is driving a new car off the car yard to home.

It seems to me that few here have any conception what comes out the back of their exhaust is the problemr.
    Back of envelope calculation. If every new Zealander drove an electric car not one jot of difference would be seen in atmospheric co2 readings

Update Ready To Install

Think global act local or be a defeatist but one can't be as we are all in this together.