sharetrader
Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hard to make a compelling argument against what you've said. When we bought the Mrs Honda Civic hybrid in 2008 which is an old tech hybrid now it was $7,000 more than a regular Honda Civic of exactly the same shape. I worked out the payback period based on the fuel economy savings and it was 7 years. After holding it for nine years now we're definitely in the money with plenty more years of savings still to come on that vehicle if we choose to run it into the ground. Until that sort of equation presents itself again, its doubtful we'll change that horse anytime soon.
    Aside from the economics, has it been a good thing?

Update Ready To Install

Honda Civic 1.4 litre hybrid emits re 109 g/km which is very low. Compare that what other std car you would have otherwise bought and X by km she has done ,subtract the diff and see the tangible reduction she has made in CO2 reduction alone and present her with a bottle of bubbly.

Doggedly sniffing out more food Beagle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Aside from the economics, has it been a good thing?
    Not my cup of tea mate but my wife likes it. Simple integrated motor assist (IMA) system Honda calls it that adds 15 kw's of electric power when going up hills, (of which there are plenty around here), and collects the energy during coasting or through regenerative braking. Makes a bit more torque than the regular Honda Civic of that model and age so that's helpful on the hills. Ideal around town vehicle, not so good on the open road. 85 kw's and 170 nm's of torque so no rocket ship but its light and fuel efficient and easy to park and has all the modern safety systems so she and our grandkids are nice and safe. The old tech nickel metal hydride battery seem to be a proven stayer in terms of longevity, although I think its past its prime now. It was pretty much state of the art nine years ago, very old tech now but still works okay.
    Edit - Just saw your post Joshuatree. Thanks, yes good idea about the bubbly.
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-05-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Update Ready To Install

Say a 2009 Honda Accord Vtec 2.2 tourer which is 173g/km. Say she has done 15000 km a year for 9 years= 135,000 km. 173gm - 109gm =64gm x135,000=8,640,000gm or 8640 kilos of CO2 she has stopped spewing into our atmosphere

Update Ready To Install

Entertaining and factual history of batteries. Two things stand out to me ; game changers don't actually come around that often and sheer economies of scale is teslas approach to bringing down costs.

Battery bonanza: From frogs' legs to mobiles and electric cars

I guess it is all ok to rape and pillage the earth for rare metals to make batteries but harvesting bountiful supplies of coal as a source to create electrical energy is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Say a 2009 Honda Accord Vtec 2.2 tourer which is 173g/km. Say she has done 15000 km a year for 9 years= 135,000 km. 173gm - 109gm =64gm x135,000=8,640,000gm or 8640 kilos of CO2 she has stopped spewing into our atmosphere
    Went onto this site. https://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au...ompareVehicles

Comparing the two alternatives, one a regular 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 liter naturally aspirated petrol engine and exactly the same car and shape and model but with the smaller hybrid engine and they reckon the difference per annum is 1.02 tons of CO2 so over 9 years that's over 9 tons less CO2 in the atmosphere. Might give her some bubbly and a cuddle for that

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I guess it is all ok to rape and pillage the earth for rare metals to make batteries but harvesting bountiful supplies of coal as a source to create electrical energy is a no no.
    Party pooper, call Al Gore and get that onto the list of inconvenient truths 😉

http://gcaptain.com/extraction-impossible-rare-earth/ Just got to work out how to extract it and everything will be fine.

Renault Zoe 41 kwr review...pretty impressive range. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIzORzvbdQ
    It occurred to this hound that with his local mall having 4 free to use rapid rechargers, the range of this vehicle and the government exempting these vehicles from road user charges running costs would be completely and utterly free !!!! On the left hand that really appeals to the bean counter in me...now on the other hand I just have to start work convincing the right side of my dogmatic brain that still likes 500 horsepower LOL.

$40K and basically free motoring apart from tyres and brakes for many many years.

So...when are you getting one Joshuatree ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-05-2017 at 08:37 PM.

http://gcaptain.com/extraction-impossible-rare-earth/ Just got to work out how to extract it and everything will be fine.
    no doubt the Japenese wil mitigate any marine environmental damage with research arguments.

... and the government exempting these vehicles from road user charges running costs would be completely
    Whoa - back up the truck. Do you mean to say i am subsidising people who can afford to buy an expensive car by paying part of their road user charges!

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    no doubt the Japenese wil mitigate any marine environmental damage with research arguments.

Whoa - back up the truck. Do you mean to say i am subsidising people who can afford to buy an expensive car by paying part of their road user charges!
    Stirring up seabed nutrients for the whales perhaps

Many governments have direct subsidy programs, N.Z. Govt is exempting electric vehicles from RUC until they hit 2% of the national fleet, one of the least proactive / least cost modest subsidy systems of any forward thinking environmentally conscious country.

Joshuatree, so how about it mate ? We all know talk is cheap, when are you going to shell out some of your own hard earned and buy an electric vehicle ?
    My wife's done her bit and saved 9 tones of CO2 and we've planted plenty of trees too...
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-05-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Update Ready To Install

Yes i worked that out for your wife and encourage everyone to do the same. have you worked yours out yet? Don't rest on a laurel thinking she's offsetting your juvenile need for power.

For certain I'm getting a hybrid or electric car. I have done months of research; fact finding etc.
    Im wearing two hats here; my environmental one re reducing my carbon footprint and my investment/ value hat. My environmental hat is the decider the other the procrastinator and I'm sure this is a main stumbling block for takeup as others have pointed out, financially not taking a haircut on this.. Im not concerned about the batteries in the Prius they go and go and go(check out taxis) and are still nearly as efficient as new ones after many years and although i can't remember what replacement cost is its not a deciding factor.

The Nissan Leaf also has great record but of course if/when they do stuff up its a big cost but one can recondition the battery as well. My understanding at this point is that they also are long lived and can be reconditioned. One can get leaf apps to check the battery beyond simplistic 12 bars etc. A Nissan consult spy tool and a happy leaf app for two. Caught up with a friend who drove her leaf from Auckland to Wellington. She had 3 to 4 different charging cables to cover all situs!

Are there no Leaf, E/V drivers on here?

We are down to a small 1.4 litre car atm and my driving is tapering off; i live in town for one and have rediscovered the local bus service and started using it; its great!. Today i spoke to a couple from the Shetland Islands using it ; very int.

BTW back in the early 80's when i was ignorant and science scarcer re Human induced global warming i owned a 1972 350 cu inch chev camaro iridescent green for 6 -12months before swapping it for a 20 ft bonito cabin cruiser with a 175 johnson and selling that and getting my money back. I had decided i wanted to own a V8 once in my life. Im more informed now and ignorance is no excuse. I shudder at the thought of driving a guzzler now as i do at the thought of using a briggs&stratton petrol lawn mower; terrible little polluters.Electric mowers are it now. I use a hand push mower but don't have much grass.

So its not a matter of if but when. There really is no choice for responsible earthlings and we all have to be that as Global warming effects EVERYTHING/EVERYONE........ The only alternative is to leave earth in one of Elon Musks SpaceX rockets and that won't exactly be a romantic life.

N.Z. Govt is exempting electric vehicles from RUC until they hit 2% of the national fleet, one of the least proactive / least cost modest subsidy systems of any forward thinking environmentally conscious country..
    Well, thats is just appaling!

If a person can afford to buy an EV they most certainly can afford RUC's.

So an example of the poor subsidizing the wealthy. Thats forward thinking for you!

And in the mean time hydrogen fuel cell development continues: http://www.stuff.co.nz/92157730/Elec...hydrogen-power

I have done months of research; fact finding etc.
    Im wearing two hats here; my environmental one re reducing my carbon footprint ......
    And your environmental head should say your efforts will make nada difference to anything and should let your financial head rule.

Membaa

I shudder at the thought of driving a guzzler now as i do at the thought of using a briggs&stratton petrol lawn mower; terrible little polluters.
    Goodness me, I didn't know that, that even my little mower is a planet killer.

I thought not using my 15hp ride-on in favour of my 190cc rotor cut mower was a good thing, at least it was a couple of hours exercise. Yes, a couple of hours, I have 7 lawns and all of them are larger than your average suburban home. Living in Paradise has some downsides, I just never thought mowing the lawns with my trusty Briggs and Stratton powered mower was buggering the planet.

When I return from my state of shock and denial, I'll let you know whether I've reverted to buying an electric mower, pulling extension cords all around the property and probably increasing my mowing time to 3+ hours, or maybe sell the rotor cut and just deal to the lawns with the ride-on again, or maybe even convert my ride-on mower to electric, now there's a thought!

This environmental stuff does my head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Goodness me, I didn't know that, that even my little mower is a planet killer.
    Lets face it.In the Church Of the Latter Day Warmists we are all sinners and we are all going to hell in a handbasket. I got me a 1/4 acre and there aint no way I'm doing labour unless it has an engine attached to it! And I'm as "green"as they come. Planted thousands of my own trees, had the solar energy and even gotta car with an engine thats stops when I stop. And thats a $500 battery to save $20 in fuel - just doing my bit to stop those filthy emissions for those damn polar bears.

Membaa

Until it is not expensive, to be environmentally sensitive, the environment has no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Until it is not expensive, to be environmentally sensitive, the environment has no chance.
    No. The climate will change as will the environment. And if mankind had any sense we would be looking at ways of benifiting from adaptation.

Troubles is we have such small time horizons - thinking one or two generations (especially the "babies") whereas nature will keep on trucking on for millions of years. Case in point - Ev's currently cats pyjamas but hydrogen technology chasing that tail.

There is no rational economic or environmental argument in favour of Ev'"s bin NZ now and nor will there be in our generation.

Update Ready To Install

I agree not our generation; well mine anyway ,but the next and the next and the next.....
    Hydrogen would be fantastic heres hoping. Real game changers don't come along that often.

I agree not our generation; well mine anyway ,but the next and the next and the next.....
    Hydrogen would be fantastic heres hoping. Real game changers don't come along that often.
    Oh i dont know about that - but again an example of our short comprehension of time. Just 150 years ago the well to do had carriages attached to their horses. Then Merc changed the game with a petrol engine motor car for the hoi polloi. Until ford came along and changed the game for the masses. A meer hundred years later musk has a super electric car for the wealthy.

Where will we be in another hundred years? The mind boggles.in the mean time we could easily stay with the tried and true - petrol internal combustion or diesel. Economically, for the masses it makes sense. Environmentally it does to - i can get 100km out of 6.5 litres of fossil fuel. I'm sure with a bit more effort we could further improve efficiency.

Electric for the masses doesn't - it means more coal powered electric generators to charge the batteries.

I suspect electric is just tinkering. Something like a combination of hydrogen energy with reduced road friction (hover technology) and wind resistance (nano particles) will be the future