sharetrader
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Retail not always a bad sector to be in eh percy

Those that avoid it these days because of the gloom and doom miss the opportunities to make heaps following well run retailers who know what their customers want.

A few around eh ..like LOV
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Retail not always a bad sector to be in eh percy

Those that avoid it these days because of the gloom and doom miss the opportunities to make heaps following well run retailers who know what their customers want.

A few around eh ..like LOV
    Unfortunately very few.
    Most need more space,which means higher occupancy costs,rents,wages ,fittings etc.Halensteins, for example need stores two or three times the size of LOV's.Malls can always find space for a smallish high performer.LOV do not need highly trained staff.
    When we compare LOV against the likes Smiths City, freighting lounge suites from China,fidges around the country, to LOV's logistics of airfreighting small items around the world we can see why LOV's stock turns,margins,and net profit is so good.The pay back of opening a new store is a matter of months compared, to years for SCY.Very easy opening new stores and closing poorly performing ones.
    LOV's model is working in Aussie,NZ,South Africa,Asia,Middle East,UK,and Spain.If it works in these countries it will most probably work in most countries.
    Very difficult trying to decide "fair value" with LOV as the growth potential remains huge.
    Last edited by percy; 05-01-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Veteran novice

Yes, well done percy! A great example of following up local knowledge/observation with further research, as per Peter Lynch!

percy

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, well done percy! A great example of following up local knowledge/observation with further research, as per Peter Lynch!

Yes certainly learnt a great deal reading his books.
    What was his example? kids buying their clothes from Gap,so they brought Gap shares.

ps And no W69 I do not wear earrings or anything else from LOV.In fact I can't get into their store to check it out, as it is always full of customers.!!
    Last edited by percy; 05-01-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    What was his example? kids buying their clothes from Gap,so they brought Gap shares.

ps And no W69 I do not wear earrings or anything else from LOV.In fact I can't get into their store to check it out, as it is always full of customers.!!
    Think NIKE shoes and L'eggs (stockings) were another couple from memory.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post

Pep Boys and Pick 'n Save were two of them. I think that the latter has since departed to the great sharemarket in the sky. No, not the "cloud"!
    Last edited by macduffy; 05-01-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Super Investor

Closed up $1.16!!!!!
    That's $1.27 kiwi...... Super......
    h2

IMO

2017 the year that LOV got away from me; no excuses either . Thanks for the headsup you know whos. Havnt got to acceptance yet.

Veteran novice

Try not to feel too bad, Jt, you're not alone there! I'm another who perhaps let the "death of retail" story get too close to me. Console myelf a bit with keeping Briscoes and having bought into HLG.

Guru

LOV to be in the 2018 ASX competition? closing in 2 days.
    Be aware of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    that not forbidden is mandatory.
    Anyone but o'brien