sharetrader

Default S&P global 100 vs S&P US 500..which would you invest in?

I am wanting to invest in 1 fund that becomes my core holding for next 20 yrs.

I would prefer to invest directly in us market via hatch or similar and but with poor exchange rate at moment in looking at alternatives in the short term.

Via Kernel wealth in nz I can invest in either of the above funds for 0.25 annual fee.

I was just going to go US 500 but the Global 100 gives a bit more diversification across markets and sectors. Obviously quite a big overlap with the global 100 having 75% invested in US. I like that the global fund picks up companies like nestle, toyota, samsung, unilever etc. not listed in US.

Being a contrarian investor and always looking to buy well it looks like over long term they have delivered similar returns but in short term US 500 is down more.

Just interested to hear if anyone has made this choice and any good reasons to go one way or the other?

with what’s going on in the world at present maybe Europe will be weaker in short term while the war and political issues work through. I feel the world is changing and maybe technology which was the big driver for returns last 10 yrs might not be where the growth is in the future?

Global pros, less US concentration, slightly higher Div yield, has performed better overall
    US 500 pros, warren says just do this and sleep well at night and beat 80% of the active funds

Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom

Guru

It does not matter if you invest via Hatch or Kernel, the exchange rate is irrelevant.

Short term movements are aberrations.

Either fund will be fine. Global 100 provides more geographical diversification. That said US 500 companies, many operate off shore anyway.

No other pearls to offer from me.

Dilettante

I agree with blackcap that it doesn't matter how you invest into those funds now, the FX is what it is.
    I think both the funds you mention are good ones but I do not agree that the S&P Global gives a better geographical or currency diversification than the S&P500. If you look at some of the top companies in the latter, say for example Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Meta, Proctor & Gamble, Visa, Mastercard, Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds, Nike and the list is endless, I can not see how it is possible to be more geographically diverse than such companies with revenues in just about all currencies in the World.
    I thought about this long and hard a few years ago when I started investing in the US500 and believe it is the best diversification possible.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by iceman; 27-09-2022 at 12:01 PM.