sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric future

Default Electric future

I am starting to believe the hype around electric vehicles and the electric future of our world. I am looking at how to invest in this fledgling sector. Maybe in recharging stations and similar companies rather than resources companies. Lithium mining companies are not my thing.
    Any thoughts and ideas? Long term investing in mind here. Just thinking out loud here, not much thought put into it yet.
    Cheers,
    MPC (currently second in this year's picking comp.)😁

Thanks Huxley. That's what I am looking for

if you've got a bit of free time you may also be interested in this video:

https://youtu.be/5TMvwD-hToc

turns out even General Electric is turning into an information technology company...

Banned

Redflow in AUS deals with storage batteries. I am not invested but you could track them as a possibility.
    I note your aversion to mining companies but apart from lithium, there are AUS companies for rare earths (used in magnets for electric motors) and graphite (used in batteries).
    If you want manufacturing companies then you really need to look outside of AUS/NZ. Wherever you go, you are looking at high risk, early stage, start-up companies (even Tesla in USA is high risk and almost certainly over-priced at present) unless you go to Google which is moving into autonomous vehicles but has other revenue streams as well. Then there is Lyft which is moving to fleets of autonomous electric vehicles but still ealry stage high risk.
    Of course, you could target electricity generation companies or resources for baseload generation. Despite optimistic claims about solar and wind plus storage batteries there will still be an ongoing demand for baseload generation provided by hydro, gas and nuclear (uranium), even in the event of EV dominance.

With 38kgs of copper needed for these EV batteries (according to Glasenburg) something to do with producing copper makes sense. I've banged on about the new cycle for 6 months now, but it has only really just turned around. Plenty more upside coming in next few years, not many high grade producers out there now, and new investment got killed after the GFC, so big deficits coming (with or without millions of EV's silently sneaking around the planet, frightening old ladies at pedestrian crossings)

I would tip ASX:AVB, but you should know I'm deeply biased (and invested)

here's Glasenburg : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-than-expected

Missed by that much

If the future of road transport is electric then the gentailers are the obvious place to invest. Consider that for every litre of fuel replaced by electric require around 4 kWh of electricty. The question is where is this extra electricity coming from? And that is where the future investment should be directed.

I'm going to follow this thread as I think the future of electric vehicles is going to ramp up. As soon as they say I can use an EV on the bus lane on the Auckland motorway I'm buying!

Building a house and I'm definitely putting in solar -It seems like common sense to harvest the sun. Batteries are on the wish list as well but perhaps we need to wait until they are a little bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    If the future of road transport is electric then the gentailers are the obvious place to invest. Consider that for every litre of fuel replaced by electric require around 4 kWh of electricty. The question is where is this extra electricity coming from? And that is where the future investment should be directed.
    On-site generation and storage technologies like solar tiles & the Tesla Powerwall will have an impact on generators, as will the significant implications for upgrades to the grid and local power networks.

Generators do enjoy a significant economy of scale advantage though.

IMO

Yes the world is slowly opening up its eyes to human induced global warming; i just hope its not too late.Have a look at my thread GREEN STOCKS FOR A WIN/WIN .

FND a good copper producing junior on the ASX DYOR
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 17-05-2017 at 08:21 AM.