sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sharsies and Corporate Bonds

One thing that's got under my skin a bit is the brokerage rate on corporate bonds traded on the NZDX. Now that some decent bonds are back to trading on a yield to maturity of ~ 5% and the outlook in market for shares is pretty difficult I reckon bonds are starting to look like a fairly attractive asset class for some of one's investment portfolio, (after starting the year with the worst losses in capital value in decades).

Bonds are traded on the NZX just like shares I struggle to accept why the brokerage rate on these should be different to the 0.2% on shares through Direct Broking / Jarden Direct, pricing for bonds is here https://www.jardendirect.co.nz/pricing
    To add insult to injury they charge you the $5.50 trade fee on top of their 0.5% brokerage for under $50K of bonds which is 2 1/2 times their brokerage on shares yet these are all executed electronically on the NZX ?

I looked on Sharsies website but couldn't see any pricing for corporate bonds, anyone know if bonds are priced differently to their 0.1% brokerage on shares on that platform ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-05-2022 at 08:55 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

https://www.sharesies.nz/learn/how-t...selling-shares

Read it and be educated, maybe learn to spell Sharesies correctly at the same time.
    om mani peme hum

Risk Manager for FTX

You can't buy individual bonds on Sharesies, you can buy bond etfs like NZB (nz) or TLT (US). Fees still not great I think 0.5% buy/sell up to 3k and 0.1% thereafter + whatever the etf charges (like 0.5%-1% annually?)

Considering the liquidity in NZ bonds letting loose Sharesies in there could make a mess lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    You can't buy individual bonds on Sharesies, you can buy bond etfs like NZB (nz) or TLT (US). Fees still not great I think 0.5% buy/sell up to 3k and 0.1% thereafter + whatever the etf charges (like 0.5%-1% annually?)

Considering the liquidity in NZ bonds letting loose Sharesies in there could make a mess lol
    Thank you. Oh yes...I see your point. Also a lot of bonds have a minimum holding of 5,000. No point ordering 1 or 2 bonds in XYZ company is there !
    Might just have a wee chat with one of the brokers at Jarden I know and see if I can get a special brokerage deal on parcel's of bonds, $100K plus.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Thank you. Oh yes...I see your point. Also a lot of bonds have a minimum holding of 5,000. No point ordering 1 or 2 bonds in XYZ company is there !
    Might just have a wee chat with one of the brokers at Jarden I know and see if I can get a special brokerage deal on parcel's of bonds, $100K plus.
    What do you make of the Mercury offer?

Risk Manager for FTX

Quote Originally Posted by maclir View Post

Nearly 6% on the bonds vs 3% on the equity I thought bonds were meant to be less risky?

Quite a few companies similar if you have a look. Doesn't make the NZX50 look too cheap.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I'm not interested in the new Mercury issue.

The term's too long with a maturity date of 2052

The rate reset dates are too far apart at 5 years

Mercury can redeem them virtually at will, wiping out any potential upside if interest rates come back down

The credit rating is BB+, below "investment grade", and would lower the average credit rating of my portfolio unacceptably.

Better off with something else.

Pushing out the MCY030 Green Bonds at 1.56% over 7 years In 2020 seems to have gone to their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by maclir View Post
    Apologies, I have only just seen your post. I realise its too late now, unless you buy on market when they list but for what its worth I put my hand up for some and am pleased with the 5.73% yield for the first five years. It goes to a reset then and holders can opt out at that point if they are not happy with the new terms and MCY are obliged to buy them back. I think the credit rating may be somehow a function of the term of the bond but in any event I am happy with their gearing ratio and its a power company so people will be demanding power no matter what happens in the economy.

If it makes you feel any better I only got a fraction (36%) of the bonds applied for. I note that was after Mercury elected to take up their right to borrow the extra $50m in oversubscriptions, total ($250m) so there was obviously huge demand for that issue.

I got a message from sharesies late this week telling me they don't do bonds directly.

For what its worth I think some of the bond rates are starting to look attractive here relative to the average dividend yield on the NZX.
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-05-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Guru

Is anybody going for the Channel Infrastructure/ NZ Refining issue? They are unrated. I was thinking about it what with the cloud hanging over the share market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Is anybody going for the Channel Infrastructure/ NZ Refining issue? They are unrated. I was thinking about it what with the cloud hanging over the share market.
    I've applied for some. The term of the bonds is covered by forward contracts so I see the risk as being acceptable and it diversifies my bond holdings. Will be interesting to see what level of scaling (if any) there will be.