sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    I been following the document. Yep there is an adjustment for buying and selling. I get that, a procedure though to calculate.

To start off I won't meet the FIF obligation anyway.
    Remember it is the cost price of your investments that is used to calculate whether you are above the $50,000 or not. The change in value of the investment is ignored.

Assuming no more purchases, (or sales) does it get re-calculated at any some point 777 from your understanding?

That is, if I bought 1 or more "qualifying" shares to the value of $49,500 and by 31 March next year were worth $60K without any further purchases, maybe only dividends received, under present law nothing to declare except the dividends

Guru

As I understand it you are correct. However if you were to reinvest the dividends (i.e. take shares instead of cash) then they would add to your $49,500.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Remember it is the cost price of your investments that is used to calculate whether you are above the $50,000 or not. The change in value of the investment is ignored.
    Yup the acquired cost of them. I won't be buying $50k of shares to begin with anyway...