sharetrader
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Pretty boring really.Trading more of adrenal rush egh!
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...of2&yptr=yahoo

Guru

Some good reading there kiora --- I like this part

CONCLUSION: Holding the right stocks for the long term is the key to outsized returns in our
    experience. Once we have identified a stock to buy with a long-term perspective in mind, we will hold
    onto the stock as long as the investment case is working as expected
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Guru

"The more assured the profits in the future, the higher the price you could pay today."
    " characterized by a “winner take all” or “winner take most” dynamic. Combine this with the fact that they require little to no capital to grow, and you have Value 3.0—business models that are both radically new and enormously valuable"
    "Try to find companies with a small market share, a huge addressable market, and a large competitive advantage"
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warre...110041827.html

A lot of these strategies don't hold well to your broker (especially NZ brokers where they are incentivized to make investors 'hyperactive'). Buffet has been very clear for decades that the small investor who doesn't have the time to learn about finance, should simply buy the index ETF.

The view of NZ investors is contrary to what Buffet's belief. For eg. it's best not to issue dividends because it's simply not tax efficient. Especially in NZ where there are no capital gains (YET?), why do you want to emphasis on dividend payout when it simply affects the book value of the company and thus, the share price erodes or stays flat.

So far been going through a pretty good patch of trading this year certainly looks like it will be my best Return yet ...

I think my changing of strategy has certainly paid dividends... I really donÂ’t know why I didnÂ’t make the adjustments early ... what I personally think has really kicked my gains this year ...

Holding 9-12 companies across my focus sectors which at present is ASX Resources - commodities- energy etc

IÂ’m dealing with a high risk high reward sectors historically and the lower end Nano micro caps Etc so I like the fact IÂ’m spreading some of risk via more holdings

yes IÂ’m having to spend many more hours in keeping up to date study etc .. but much less chance of falling in love with a company like I did back when I use to hold 4-5 and get angry when other shares I liked would move while mine would not !!

Sub AUD 100mill cap Focus with a few over that value but certainly not over 500m at this stage (I wonÂ’t complain if some of my holdings go higher but I donÂ’t focus on buying billion caps etc )

Bring in more research via - twitter - IÂ’m at present following 170 other investors that like me are constantly hunting for or holding the next great buy .. I really like looking at what other guys are seeing value ...

HotCopper short term thread ... another great places to see what others think are great short term trades and why ...

Simply the smarter you work the better your luck will be ... Finding time with the above has been positive

But also take time out ... for me IÂ’m trying really hard to not pour too many hours into the market ...esp weekends ... at present IÂ’m prob running around 30hrs per week when IÂ’m not at sea out of cell range ..

Back when I drove my portfolio to record lows 2013-16 I was probably putting in twice that at times thinking the harder I worked it was magical going turn around some woeful investments/trades ... but all I was doing was digging a bigger hole taken more risks focusing on just few companies CFD futures day trading etc ...

Golf ... has certainly helped i gave up the game for few years as friends having families etc stopped playing ... but so glad IÂ’m back to golf nut .. 100% believe it helps my sharetrading the results pa certainly show it has ...

Such a mental game
    risk vs reward
    club selection per shot ....
    competition —.
    Fresh air - fitness - Sun!!
    -community —- communications

-and just a break from the screen

Guru

Definitely a mental game. All about not getting rattled and learn to stay away from the screen
    For me the less time & the less trading the better, just need to pick the long term trends and go with them.
    Adding to the winners, cull the loosers
    Way way away from a "balanced" portfolio and now have plenty of any downside to give back if needed
    2018 +27
    2019 +27
    2020 +22
    Last edited by kiora; 05-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Advanced Member

Hi JB ,
    My year is FY , as you do I trade out of a company . So far 2nd best year ever . ASX small caps are up 50% , I’m up 70 as of close Friday .Decided to put 10% of the portfolio in spec Gold , followed your picks .Have made some significant money on CNB & WWI- Thanks .
    Very good win on AVA , thanks Percy .
    DUB & MSV been very good to me as well .
    All the best S/L

Default Boomtime

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Hi JB ,
    My year is FY , as you do I trade out of a company . So far 2nd best year ever . ASX small caps are up 50% , I’m up 70 as of close Friday .Decided to put 10% of the portfolio in spec Gold , followed your picks .Have made some significant money on CNB & WWI- Thanks .
    Very good win on AVA , thanks Percy .
    DUB & MSV been very good to me as well .
    All the best S/L
    Yeah great to hear others kicking goals ... always good to have plan with profits years ago I took 200k out of the market from a profitable FY .. helped pay for new house .. mid 2021 plan pay off couple of loans total $360k .. from profits trading
    Last edited by JBmurc; 07-12-2020 at 05:47 PM.