sharetrader
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Labour to Tax Water

I'd like to be able ot comment on the policy - but there isnt one. Seems the idea will go out to consultation after the election.

So after a quick scan I may be able to support a tax on bottled water for export. Except tax is already being raised from the GSt and PAYE generated by the businesses bottling the water.

As for farmers, they may as well look at a tax on sunshine as well.

That said I wouldnt mind a bit of a tax going on the water going into Coke

Advanced Member

Never really understood why people get knickers in a twist over charging for the trillions of litres of water that falls out of the sky for free every year. Most of which ends up in the sea. Paying for infrastructure to treat, store or transport it - no problem.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I'd like to be able ot comment on the policy - but there isnt one. Seems the idea will go out to consultation after the election.

So after a quick scan I may be able to support a tax on bottled water for export. Except tax is already being raised from the GSt and PAYE generated by the businesses bottling the water.

I don't think there is GST on exports.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I don't think there is GST on exports.
    gst is on all local purchases like oil for machines, power and presumsbly plastic bottles

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post

Let them take the water for export, as long as it is bottled here. Heaps of jobs, so encourage it.

Dilettante

John Key steadfastly said "nobody" owns the water. That was the Government's stance when it fought this at the Waitangi Tribunal. The Government starting direct charges for water is a major change and will open up a big can of worms. Maori will go straight back to the Tribunal. Ill thought out and dangerous from Labour , don't even have a policy ready. Just being populist saying they will charge foreign companies taking and exporting water but that quantity is miniscule in the scheme of things. Think irrigation, horticulture, wine, beer, meat works, you name it
    Last edited by iceman; 10-08-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Advanced Member

iceman, I expect them to backtrack on most of the policy manque and go forward with the export water bottlers only. There seems to be a groundswell of support for that, such as Bung the Bore. Whether that support base understands the issues is a whole other story.

Advanced Member

They will be taxing the Air next, a breathing tax.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    They will be taxing the Air next, a breathing tax.
    But it will be a regional tax; will apply only in Auckland.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    iceman, I expect them to backtrack on most of the policy manque and go forward with the export water bottlers only. There seems to be a groundswell of support for that, such as Bung the Bore. Whether that support base understands the issues is a whole other story.
    Yes exactly, just pure populism. The total amount of water exported annually as drinking water from NZ, runs under a bridge on the Waikato River in 33 seconds I read today.
    Last edited by iceman; 10-08-2017 at 05:46 PM.