sharetrader

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I already am; but can't bothered looking for the invoice again atm.Very happy to.One estimate that our volume of water used dropped by 30% when water meters were installed.Have been through this mm.
    Jeez this is frustrating. We have been over this. You are not paying for the water, you are paying for the infrastructure.

So let me rephrase - how much more are you prepared to pay?

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Jeez this is frustrating. We have been over this. You are not paying for the water, you are paying for the infrastructure.

So let me rephrase - how much more are you prepared to pay?
    For me I'd Be happy to double the royalty no prob.

Good on you for being prepared to put your money where your mouth is. Your $1 contribution would go some way but not a long way

Guru

How do you propose that the tax on dairy irrigation is levied?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    How do you propose that the tax on dairy irrigation is levied?
    Easy

Individual region pollution remediation cost / litres irrigated in the region X litres irrigated on the individual farm = individual farm irrigation tax. Spread tax bill equally over a number of years eg 20 years. The tax is levied on the farm, not the owner

But should also apply to non-irrigated farms because they are also very polluting

In non-irrigated areas it should be ratio'ed on head count and animal type

And all industries should make a contribution as well, based on effluent BOD or COD, suspended solids, toxic trace metals

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Easy

Individual region pollution remediation cost / litres irrigated in the region X litres irrigated on the individual farm = individual farm irrigation tax. Spread tax bill equally over a number of years eg 20 years. The tax is levied on the farm, not the owner

But should also apply to non-irrigated farms because they are also very polluting

In non-irrigated areas it should be ratio'ed on head count and animal type

And all industries should make a contribution as well, based on effluent BOD or COD, suspended solids, toxic trace metals
    That, however, is not a water tax. It is a livestock tax in the context of farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    That, however, is not a water tax. It is a livestock tax in the context of farmers.
    I should have been clearer in my post.

The water tax was a subset of what I wrote "Individual region pollution remediation cost / litres irrigated in the region X litres irrigated on the individual farm = individual farm irrigation tax. Spread tax bill equally over a number of years eg 20 years. The tax is levied on the farm, not the owner"

The rest of the post was my opinion that all farmers should pay for their pollution, regardless of whether they irrigate or not. And is a livestock tax as you correctly point out

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post

The rest of the post was my opinion that all farmers should pay for their pollution, regardless of whether they irrigate or not. And is a livestock tax as you correctly point out
    That would not be fair to the non-irrigators. The irrigators or those that cause the most problems will then increase their irrigating and game theory will purport that irrigation as a whole will increase. The opposite of what they (labour) want.