sharetrader
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    For me I'd Be happy to double the royalty no prob.
    Good on you for being prepared to put your money where your mouth is. Your $1 contribution would go some way but not a long way

Guru

For me I'd Be happy to double the royalty no prob.
    How do you propose that the tax on dairy irrigation is levied?

IMO

I would not have the slightest clue. Fartherist away area of expertise i could imagine. There are experts for that sort of thing to work out a royalty for the use of water. maybe that makes it easier too. For the "use" of water not for the water .

Legend

I would not have the slightest clue. Fartherist away area of expertise i could imagine. There are experts for that sort of thing to work out a royalty for the use of water. maybe that makes it easier too. For the "use" of water not for the water .
    For us mere humans, what on earth is a fartherist?

Guru

Yeah but how are you going to measure usage? I do not think Jacinda has even thought about this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Yeah but how are you going to measure usage? I do not think Jacinda has even thought about this.
    for a start it should be water that hits the ground from the irrigator - because that is the stuff that will eventually flow into poluted river.

It cant include the water that leaves the pivot sprinkler as some will be lost to evapouration before hitting the ground.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    for a start it should be water that hits the ground from the irrigator - because that is the stuff that will eventually flow into poluted river.

It cant include the water that leaves the pivot sprinkler as some will be lost to evapouration before hitting the ground.
    And even then... how do you measure that? Will it be farmers volunteering this information or will irrigators have meters on them? Who will collect this metered data?

And even then... how do you measure that? Will it be farmers volunteering this information or will irrigators have meters on them? Who will collect this metered data?
    They have to measure their consumption now in Canterbury anyway. otherwise how do you check they are not exceeding their allocation?
    Farmers are all honest of course but I am old enough to remember a sheep retention scheme where NZ s flock increased massively overnight.

westerly

How do you propose that the tax on dairy irrigation is levied?
    Easy

Individual region pollution remediation cost / litres irrigated in the region X litres irrigated on the individual farm = individual farm irrigation tax. Spread tax bill equally over a number of years eg 20 years. The tax is levied on the farm, not the owner

But should also apply to non-irrigated farms because they are also very polluting

In non-irrigated areas it should be ratio'ed on head count and animal type

And all industries should make a contribution as well, based on effluent BOD or COD, suspended solids, toxic trace metals

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Easy

Individual region pollution remediation cost / litres irrigated in the region X litres irrigated on the individual farm = individual farm irrigation tax. Spread tax bill equally over a number of years eg 20 years. The tax is levied on the farm, not the owner

But should also apply to non-irrigated farms because they are also very polluting

In non-irrigated areas it should be ratio'ed on head count and animal type

And all industries should make a contribution as well, based on effluent BOD or COD, suspended solids, toxic trace metals
    That, however, is not a water tax. It is a livestock tax in the context of farmers.