sharetrader
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Which city charges you for water JT ?
    I think the Kapiti Coast Council charges for water usage. Rates dropped to accommodate a water levy. Water usage did drop.

IMO

Misinformation from national right all the way to its acolytes. i thought maybe you were different jonu,shame on you.
    We pay by the cubic metre here is $1.83 per cubic metre including GST. You have no idea or credibility,tui.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I think the Kapiti Coast Council charges for water usage. Rates dropped to accommodate a water levy. Water usage did drop.
    Thanks bc. It stands to reason , hit people in the back pocket even if its tiny and they will save water and money, human nature, win,win,win,allaround.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Good question iceman.

They don't charge him for water. They charge him for the utilities cost. When a farmer uses his own bore to irrigate there are no utilities costs. He pays for the bore and piping himself. That is why he only pays a consent fee. Labour have no idea of the complexity of taking ownership of water, otherwise they wouldn't be proposing it. Their first hurdle will of course be the Treaty.
    That's how its done here in Nelson. I wait for JT to answer the question about which city in NZ charges him for water, as opposed to pay for and maintain the infrastructure required to deliver the water. Quite a difference.

I have just looked up the Kapiti Coast District Council's webpage and find the wording a bit confusing. But this is what they say the "water charges" are used for :
    "Water rates help to pay for water collection and treatment facilities, our water supply network (e.g. fixing, upgrading and replacing pipes) and water conservation measures."
    Last edited by iceman; 06-09-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Tauranga charges $1.89 per cubic metre or 1000 litres. Base charge is $29.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Misinformation from national right all the way to its acolytes. i thought maybe you were different jonu,shame on you.
    We pay by the cubic metre here is $1.83 per cubic metre including GST. You have no idea or credibility,tui.
    JT, you are paying for the utilities cost of that cubic metreage, not the water itself. I don't need your shame brought on me thanks very much. It would be good however if you were to show some understanding of the complexities of this issue.

Your local authority does not own the water, so they can't charge you for it. They charge you for the treatment and delivery of it. An irrigator does not have those costs unless they are part of a wider scheme, in which case they again will pay for the delivery of it.

Advanced Member

Wellington City has optional water meters, about 1200 now. After the initial install charge, the cost is $11+GST a month and $2.32+GST per cubic meter.

Otherwise ratepayers pay a % of their rates (more or less).

Not sure how that compares to other areas, but for high priced houses with a low number of occupants it is significantly cheaper.

Advanced Member

My neighbours in Napier Rural are all charged for water delivery through meters. The service is through to the road by their properties and because they live up on the hills behind, they have storage tanks and pumps up at the houses to increase the supply to a workable level. I live up on the opposite hill but I have no supply and no charges. My water comes from the house roof and implement sheds into a tank and is unfiltered or treated. It tastes great and makes very good Bourbon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    My neighbours in Napier Rural are all charged for water delivery through meters. The service is through to the road by their properties and because they live up on the hills behind, they have storage tanks and pumps up at the houses to increase the supply to a workable level. I live up on the opposite hill but I have no supply and no charges. My water comes from the house roof and implement sheds into a tank and is unfiltered or treated. It tastes great and makes very good Bourbon.
    My brother gets all his water from his roof at home. He is not charged for it and I fail to see how a Labour govt can charge him for it. He does not conserve because there is no need to. Although when there is a dry summer he does use less.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    JT, you are paying for the utilities cost of that cubic metreage, not the water itself. I don't need your shame brought on me thanks very much. It would be good however if you were to show some understanding of the complexities of this issue.

Your local authority does not own the water, so they can't charge you for it. They charge you for the treatment and delivery of it. An irrigator does not have those costs unless they are part of a wider scheme, in which case they again will pay for the delivery of it.
    Wrong again. i have my account in front of me , i get charged by the cubic metre ; a meter man comes around regularly to read it. tui.
    I am one of re 70% of nz who think this is a great idea too for the reasons i have stated mainly people will conserve more and value and look after the resource. Its taken all these years of national fiddling and not having the guts to sort out along with all the other issues, already well documented..