sharetrader
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    IMO

Some farmers may have to pay $50,000 a year royalty for water?? I don't believe that bill.Scaremongering.
    At 2c a cubic litre That would be 2.5 BILLION LITRES as much as 30,000 people use yearly(80 cubic m each)
    Some farmers are incredibly inefficient and wasteful; they have to go or adapt and stop wasting our resource and contributing more pollution(nitrification with too much runoff)
    A 1 or 2c royalty would achieve that almost overnight, win/win/win.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 13-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    At 2c a litre That would be 2.5 BILLION LITRES as much as 30,000 people use yearly(80 cubic m each)
    Those figures could well be right. I know that many farmers would use more than 5 cubic metres for 2 milkings. So that is already 5,000 litres per day. Multiply that by 365 you get 1.8 Million litres p/a. I think Bill may be onto something here.

My bad, I got a bit excited, its 1.8 million, but that is excluding trough water and then there is irrigation. Whichever way you cut it, a 2 cent levy per litre would be catastrophic for farmers.
    Last edited by blackcap; 13-09-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Those figures could well be right. I know that many farmers would use more than 5 cubic metres for 2 milkings. So that is already 5,000 litres per day. Multiply that by 365 you get 1.8 Billion litres p/a. I think Bill may be onto something here.
    And that's before the farmer has filled his troughs. A dairy cow will drink 30+ litres a day. Heaven forbid he do any irrigating on top of that. I bet JT likes his milk and cheese though.

IMO

If your figs are correct. They are being inefficient too imo generally. User pays no matter how small brings efficiency and conservation.
    78 to 80 % of water is used in irrigation and about 3 % for troughs, milking etc.
    In canterbury they are using 3 million litres per hectare /year in some places. Nitrification plus!. Time for farmers to value their resource and become more efficient and conserving of our water. A 1 or 2 cents a cubic metre would achieve this. maybe all of us should pay royalty for the use of water. Id pay about $1.60 a year for my 80 cubes.
    Labour should charge all for water - economist

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Those figures could well be right. I know that many farmers would use more than 5 cubic metres for 2 milkings. So that is already 5,000 litres per day. Multiply that by 365 you get 1.8 Million litres p/a. I think Bill may be onto something here.

My bad, I got a bit excited, its 1.8 million, but that is excluding trough water and then there is irrigation. Whichever way you cut it, a 2 cent levy per litre would be catastrophic for farmers.
    Labour are talking 2 cents a cumec (1000 litres) and only for irrigation. Stock water is excluded.

Dilettante

Where have you got that detail from FD ? Do you have a link. I think many people would be very interested to see detail on this or any other policy from Labour.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Exclamation Fact check

Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    some farmers may have to pay $50,000 a year royalty for water?? I don't believe that bill.scaremongering.
    At 2c a litre that would be 2.5 billion litres....
    50,000/0.02 = 2,500,000

2.5 million litres
    om mani peme hum

IMO

If so PT 2.5 million litres =2500 cumetres x .02cents =$50

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Where have you got that detail from FD ? Do you have a link. I think many people would be very interested to see detail on this or any other policy from Labour.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...water-bottlers

I have a mate with 3 smallish centre pivots and he reckons it would cost about $8000 a year

IMO

Thanks for the article fred. very clear, its the irrigators who are using 78-80% of the water. They will use it more conservatively with a 2c per 1000 litre royalty on it with less runoff and nitrification and no further intensification which has become out of balance with the environment.