sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do our local candidates stack up.

Realised I now have a problem. I've got:

Gerry Brownlee (National) He wont get my vote as his failure to accept theincompetence is a greater crime that Meteria Turie. And he's heading off shoreso why vote for a local candidate who wont be around.

Martin Frauenstein (Conservative) I just have so much difficulty taking ColinCraig out of the equation. I'm sure hes a nice bloke but he's an IT geek (aSolutions Architect - whatever that is). And with respect to IT Geeks Ifind these type of people a bit removed from normal reality.

Paul Gilbert (ACT). He's 25th on the list so really needs a vote. Cant easilyfind out anything about him. So thats a No

David Lee (Greens) Say no more. but more objectively he doesn’t even warrant alist placing so presume he cant be up to much. And hes a Wellington CityCouncillor - so that only confirms my prejudice about the Greens integrity(Obviously where there is a trough they can smell it from miles away). Mate - gotto to actually live here!

Raf Manji (Independent) He was my shining hope. But he seems to believe insneaking through rules without consultation (Christchurch City Council LivingWage), thinks a council knows better than central government (who set minimumwage standards along with Working For Families) and is happy to give away ratepayer money (extra wages) for no increase in service to the rate payers. So itsa no on that basis.

Anthony Rimmell (Labour) Given Labour is more right leaning than National hemay be an option. It would be a protest vote - but one maybe with merit. Hesbeen on the Earthquake Appeals Trust, worked in the community. That alone isprobably worth a tick.
    Last edited by minimoke; 13-08-2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Odd insert removed

Veteran novice

So don't vote for any of them - it's easy enough to spoil/invalidate the (electorate) paper. After all, it won't make any difference to the election outcome which will be determined by the party vote.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    So don't vote for any of them - it's easy enough to spoil/invalidate the (electorate) paper. After all, it won't make any difference to the election outcome which will be determined by the party vote.
    Although if a seat changes from the previous party holder, it may make a difference. In my electorate the seat has been Labour for decades and will never change - but casting an electorate vote for a candidate or party you may prefer surely sends some sort of message, and may even signal to likeminded voters that perhaps next time there may be a swing to another party.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Although if a seat changes from the previous party holder, it may make a difference. In my electorate the seat has been Labour for decades and will never change - but casting an electorate vote for a candidate or party you may prefer surely sends some sort of message, and may even signal to likeminded voters that perhaps next time there may be a swing to another party.
    Sure, but minimoke's question was "what to do if you don't like/want any of the candidates?"

Sure, but minimoke's question was "what to do if you don't like/want any of the candidates?"
    I dont recall ever voting Labour in my life. So thats my dillemma.

But this time around they may just get my electorate vote. I figure enough people will vote labour on the party ticket so my electorate vote won't change composition of Parliament but may see Gerry dusting off his woodworking tools

Legend

I make sure my vote is against the party or candidate I consider the most harmful. I'm a swinging voter and I've probably never really voted for a party; it's more about voting against a party or parties whose policies and candidates I don't like. Everyone must have a party they see as at least the best of a bunch, even if they hate the damn lot of them. It's only a matter of ranking them.

Funny that, that's my electorate. No problem, my wife and I will vote straight National, same as last time.

Given the electorate you're wasting your time worrying about it Minimoke. Do something constructive and meaningful instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Funny that, that's my electorate. No problem, my wife and I will vote straight National, same as last time.

Given the electorate you're wasting your time worrying about it Minimoke. Do something constructive and meaningful instead.
    So thats your party vote accounted for. I'm more concerned about the electoral MP.

(I could'nt sleep knowing i played a part in getting brownlee re-elected)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    So thats your party vote accounted for. I'm more concerned about the electoral MP.

(I could'nt sleep knowing i played a part in getting brownlee re-elected)
    Well your most sensible course of action is to vote for the candidate most likely to unseat him, or find a new interest or hobby to replace sleeping.

Membaa

The thread might have been, "who to vote for in the Iilam electorate". Not being there I wouldn't care much except for the party vote. One I am looking at is Ohariu, even though it's not my electorate, the swing to Greg O'Conner (Labour) is profound and sticking it up Peter Dunne (Independent and a National coalition partner). Poor Brett Hudson, he's a good guy (National List) but playing the National party line in supporting Dunne diminishes his chances of going after the majority. It seems National will lose Ohariu via Dunne, which is a big deal for them in the greater Wellington electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    One I am looking at is Ohariu, even though it's not my electorate, the swing to Greg O'Conner (Labour) is profound and sticking it up Peter Dunne
    Now that's an interesting electorate. Didn't realise O'Connor was contesting. Wont make a difference to Labours overall seating - but one seat could make all the difference for National

(I'm going to have to refresh myself on what happens to the overall major party seats when these minor parties don't get to 5% or win a seat. Some complicated formula as I recall

Membaa

Now that's an interesting electorate. Didn't realise O'Connor was contesting. Wont make a difference to Labours overall seating - but one seat could make all the difference for National

(I'm going to have to refresh myself on what happens to the overall major party seats when these minor parties don't get to 5% or win a seat. Some complicated formula as I recall
    Yes, it's all about the coalitions that the major party's can or are able to form post the electoral vote, in order to give the Governor General confidence that a government can be formed.

This election is shaking up the status quo and imho one should look to the fringe electorates for guidance as they are the minor parties that have enabled the formation of governments since MMP came into being. When the minor parties win or lose their seats in parliament, the potential coalition partners change and in turn the seats in the House (of Representatives).

Watch Maori, Act, Independent .. and to some extent Greens if they have not shot their foot off. They are all crucial to the National forming government and keeping NZ First sidelined. Labour has other plans, which has so far backfired with the Greens, and brought NZ First back into play as a MMP government maker.

This is why imo it is the most interesting build up to an election that can remember.

Peter Dunne is a really annoying person and I'll be glad to see the last of him even if it's a loss to National. It's certain he was the ****er who leaked that stuff toAndre Vance. There has to be something wrong with anyone who gets their hair done like that and with his mannerisms!

Membaa

It WOULD make a difference to Labours overall seating, a big difference, on current polling for the Ohariu electorate, Greg O'Conner (Labour) would unseat Peter Dunne (Independent, United Future) and bring a new seat to Labour. Gripping stuff, if you like elections.

Yes, it's all about the coalitions that the major party's can or are able to form post the electoral vote, in order to give the Governor General confidence that a government can be formed.
    Obviously they can only form a government with a partner who wins a seat or gets over the 5% threshold. Which is why Ohariu is interesting as is Waiariki (surely Tamati Coffey cant win that for Labour?)

Membaa

Peter Dunne is a really annoying person and I'll be glad to see the last of him even if it's a loss to National. It's certain he was the ****er who leaked that stuff toAndre Vance. There has to be something wrong with anyone who gets their hair done like that and with his mannerisms!
    You probably have a valid point there, about the hair and the mannerisms (he's a right royal twit when it comes to persona, although he does know governance very well and has been a 'safe bet' across many portfolio's for donkeys years.) Take into account the history on the electorate, strongly in favour of Peter Dunne for over 30 years, since 1984! I think it's over rover for him this time with O'Conner weighing in strongly, but hopefully the electorate still give their party vote to National, they are and have been blue to the core for decades.

Legend

Do you think the dismal spin-doctor of old, O'Connor, will be any better?

Membaa

Obviously they can only form a government with a partner who wins a seat or gets over the 5% threshold. Which is why Ohariu is interesting as is Waiariki (surely Tamati Coffey cant win that for Labour?)
    Yes and those minor parties that get a seat or over 5% need to align with a major party to form a government or they are wasted in the back benches as a minor and insignificant party with no voice in opposition.

Politics and government is ruthless, cruel and unyielding. It comes down to only two things, 'gain power' and 'retain power'. That done, policies can be implemented, laws changed and the rule of law overseen.

Yes and those minor parties that get a seat or over 5% need to align with a major party to form a government .
    I think we wil find the major parties wanting to align with the minnows. National and Labour are going to need every Minor they can get their hands on

Spooky powers you have there MVT.. Got your wish!