sharetrader

Default Whiskey and Water - What is your water?

I've been reading this book called Smarter Investing. It's a UK book and as such, the author is able to list a whole range of possible investments for his readers. In NZ, we're a lot more limited. But, as an investment strategy, and as a drink, Whiskey and Water sounds appealing.

The author points out the risks of holding cash as a defensive asset, as inflation can wipe it out. He recommends "assets that naturally protect against inflation" - which sound amazing.. but what do we have like this in NZ? Options in the book are: 'inflation-linked securities' - 'UK index-linked gilts, index-linked National Savings Certificates or globally issued inflation linked bonds'.

So, what is your water? I'll buy you a drink.

I can't answer your specific question, but my thought is that the advice may not be as appropriate to a NZ environment anyway. Even now, our deposit rates after tax still mostly keep up with inflation I would have thought. On the other hand, you would be hard pressed to find somewhere in the UK to stick your cash, and have it earning 4%.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by keylime View Post
    I've been reading this book called Smarter Investing. It's a UK book and as such, the author is able to list a whole range of possible investments for his readers. In NZ, we're a lot more limited. But, as an investment strategy, and as a drink, Whiskey and Water sounds appealing.

The author points out the risks of holding cash as a defensive asset, as inflation can wipe it out. He recommends "assets that naturally protect against inflation" - which sound amazing.. but what do we have like this in NZ? Options in the book are: 'inflation-linked securities' - 'UK index-linked gilts, index-linked National Savings Certificates or globally issued inflation linked bonds'.

So, what is your water? I'll buy you a drink.
    Infratil. I like Gold label

Veteran novice

Inflation adjusted government bonds are available in NZ, keylime. Talk to your broker about terms and availability.

Disc: I don't hold.

percy

Don't bother with whiskey and water,just go straight to the top shelf,Drambuie,or in the case of keeping ahead of inflation,bank shares.
    I have found owning the bank more profitable than having money in the bank.I prefer a NZ bank for fully imputed divies,but the Aussie banks are great long term investments.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Don't bother with whiskey and water,just go straight to the top shelf,Drambuie,or in the case of keeping ahead of inflation,bank shares.
    I have found owning the bank more profitable than having money in the bank.I prefer a NZ bank for fully imputed divies,but the Aussie banks are great long term investments.
    Thanks for your thoughts @percy. Could I ask which bank and how you bought them?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    I can't answer your specific question, but my thought is that the advice may not be as appropriate to a NZ environment anyway. Even now, our deposit rates after tax still mostly keep up with inflation I would have thought. On the other hand, you would be hard pressed to find somewhere in the UK to stick your cash, and have it earning 4%.
    thanks for your answer. What you say makes sense

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by keylime View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts @percy. Could I ask which bank and how you bought them?
    If you go to the HBL tread you will find that Percy is well positioned there :-)

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I quite like Spirited Funds "Whisky Fund" ETF. You can find them in New York under WSKY.

Not sure if they do water though. Probably not, I'd guess.