sharetrader
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: sharesies.nz

Yes, which is as you would expect, but I think it also shows that the world of investment is changing, and there is room for all of us.

EDIT: Just saw this in Sharesies “Lunch Money” newsletter

6 May 2019:
    43,000 investors
    $13.8m invested through Sharesies

6 May 2020:
    146,000+ investors
    $370m+ invested through Sharesies

There is a place for us.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    article also says

"
    it was institutional traders buying and selling big-name companies like Auckland International Airport and A2 Milk that were the biggest drivers of volumes."
    Last edited by justakiwi; 06-05-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    There is a place for us.
    Yes there is of course but the cost (not always $ cost) of divvying up parcels into less than $500 should fall on Sharesies administration not on NZX
    I reckon they NZX caved in because they are shrinking from no new listings and needed revenue so badly that they couldn't negotiate a good deal with Sharesies. But hey pure speculation on my part.....
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Yes there is of course but the cost (not always $ cost) of divvying up parcels into less than $500 should fall on Sharesies administration not on NZX
    I reckon they NZX caved in because they are shrinking from no new listings and needed revenue so badly that they couldn't negotiate a good deal with Sharesies. But hey pure speculation on my part.....
    The question I have though Peat, is is there a cost to the NZX of having a bunch of small trades go through? I understand in the past that brokers were not happy with odd lots as there was a lot of registration and administration to contend with (especially before CSN). But now with shares held in nominee by Sharesies, I fail to understand the cost that is imposed on the NZX for the small parcels that go through the screen. Maybe a bit of bandwidth but apart from that nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    The question I have though Peat, is is there a cost to the NZX of having a bunch of small trades go through? I understand in the past that brokers were not happy with odd lots as there was a lot of registration and administration to contend with (especially before CSN). But now with shares held in nominee by Sharesies, I fail to understand the cost that is imposed on the NZX for the small parcels that go through the screen. Maybe a bit of bandwidth but apart from that nothing else.
    the cost is borne by those who experience delays in their order processing due to overloading of the NZX systems, you know what everyone has been bitching about recently. each transaction has to be recorded even if its going to the same nominee account.

Guru

the cost is borne by those who experience delays in their order processing due to overloading of the NZX systems, you know what everyone has been bitching about recently. each transaction has to be recorded even if its going to the same nominee account.
    I was listening to a presentation by Mark Peterson (CEO of NZX) a few weeks ago. He implied that the delays etc were not an NZX problem but rather a broker back office problem.

That is at odds with the NBR presentation of things. But either way, it means the NZX or brokers need to get with the times (ie the digital age). They have not invested enough in that space is the conclusion I draw.
    Last edited by blackcap; 07-05-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I was listening to a presentation by Mark Peterson (CEO of NZX) a few weeks ago. He implied that the delays etc were not an NZX problem but rather a broker back office problem.

That is at odds with the NBR presentation of things. But either way, it means the NZX or brokers need to get with the times (ie the digital age). They have not invested enough in that space is the conclusion I draw.
    Wow that would appear to be bull dung of the greatest order
    Even NZX released a statement saying it was them
    "NZX has experienced several technical issues in the last six
    trading days. The root cause of these issues appears to stem from a
    significant increase in trading volumes "
    Although I note it later says "
    The incidents primarily involve NZX's clearing and settlement system, which
    has come under significant pressure as it also acts as the gateway to report
    trade notifications and undertake shareholder balance enquiries for certain
    market participants." …..
    as if to say that that there are different systems reporting trade notification and s/h balance enquiries for different participants.

I honestly thought NZX had accepted responsibility for the delays.
    Last edited by peat; 07-05-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Guru

Wow that would appear to be bull dung of the greatest order
    Even NZX released a statement saying it was them
    "NZX has experienced several technical issues in the last six
    trading days. The root cause of these issues appears to stem from a
    significant increase in trading volumes "
    Although I note it later says "
    The incidents primarily involve NZX's clearing and settlement system, which
    has come under significant pressure as it also acts as the gateway to report
    trade notifications and undertake shareholder balance enquiries for certain
    market participants." …..
    as if to say that that there are different systems reporting trade notification and s/h balance enquiries for different participants.

I honestly thought NZX had accepted responsibility for the delays.
    That is what I had thought too, but Mark from what I heard seemed to be blaming the brokers more than the NZX. Either way, the NZX have allowed Sharesies to operate on their platform, just like the algo traders, and if theirs systems are not up to it then they need to solve them. Then again they do run a monopoly so what would they care if they annoy Direct and ASB. Mark Peterson should know though, until recently wasn't he the CEO of Direct Broking?

Just wondered if those using Sharesies have any particular strategy? Usually I buy via ASB and have 3-5 NZ holdings. Didn’t investigate Sharesies till recently. Decided to dollar cost average into a NZ agriculture (wine/fruit/fish) basket If my choosing which is kinda cool. Thinking about doing the same for farming and forestry (probably using proxy’s such as POT).

Advanced Member

https://moneykingnz.com/buying-share...irect-broking/

May be of interest. I’ll be staying with DB with my fingers crossed it gets a refresh at some stage.
    Apologies if posted elsewhere.

Got an email with new site for DB going live next month. Those happy to be the Guinea pigs and test drive it get one free trade.
    I'm happy to play possum from time to time but I'm happy to let others iron out the flaws and play Guinea pig.

On the Sharsies thing, yeah I think its great that this makes investing affordable and enables newcomers to get into a wide range of investments but its not for me, I like my investments in my name with absolute and total control over them.
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-07-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine