Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
No I'm not. I am responding to your post, and everything you said, implied that all beneficiaries are bottom feeders.

I agree with you. I was simply pointing out to you, that beneficiaries do have real obligations.

OK, so you felt uncomfortable applying for assistance so made a decision not to go through with it. That is fine, and your choice, but don't judge others for making a different choice. The fact that you have sufficient savings to do that, is admirable, but again, don't judge others for not having that ability. Some of us work hard (or have worked hard all our lives) but in jobs that do not pay even close to the average wage. Many of those people have minimal ability to save. The only reason I have been able to do that (and invest some of those savings) is because I made a decision to live full time in my caravan. I had spent years post divorce, working full time to pay rent (and raise kids) - I made zero headway. I have saved more money over the past five years since I moved into my caravan, than any other time in my life. But not everyone is in the position to do what I did, so they work their butts off and make very little financial headway. Some of those people are now the beneficiaries you so despise. You don't know other people's stories. I have put myself out there here at ST, from the day I first joined up. I basically laid all my cards o on the table and have been an open book. I did that for a reason. Firstly, because I am an inherently, and sickeningly, honest person. I over share personal information because I am a WYSIWYG kind of person. But I have also shared my **** here, as a way to (hopefully) educate people, and open their eyes to the fact that we are all different, we don't all fit the same mold, but we are all human beings with something of value to contribute. I have been a beneficiary in the past. I beat myself up constantly, feeling guilty and ashamed for being a solo parent raising four kids, struggling to put food on the table and having to accept help from food banks at times. Not being able to afford the cost of a school camp. Having to tell your kids you can't afford to buy milo this week. Feeling like the ****tiest parent when your youngest child points out that they never get new clothes - just their sisters' hand me downs. Do you have any idea what that is like? I swore I would never ever put myself through that again, yet here I am. Only able to work x amount of hours a week (due to health issues) and being "topped up" by WINZ. But you know what? This time I refuse to feel guilty, and I refuse to feel ashamed. Because social assistance is there for precisely this reason, and none of us should be made to feel worthless, for having to accept it.

"There, but for the Grace of God" - is a timely reminder, that none of us ever know what is around the corner, or where our life will end up. There are no guarantees about anything - whether we will even wake up tomorrow. I am not religious myself, but I find the saying apt and relevant to many of these "discussions" - any one of you could suddenly find yourself in the position of needing government assistance. Yes, even you.

These days if I have a period where I don't work, I live off my savings. I am simply not going to go onto a benefit. It is not something I want for myself. I want to go through my entire life without going into a benefit. If others want to go on it 'temporarily', good on them I guess. Personally, I won't be doing it.

I don't get this 'but for the Grace of God go I' stuff.

There are people with mental health issues & neurodivergence who get up every day and go to work. It is a matter of self discipline and self respect.
[/QUOTE]

I have said nothing other than that beneficiaries should have to meet regularly with case managers and should have to declare extra income. If that is 'demonising beneficiaries' or something then I don't know what to tell you.

As far as I am concerned, people like you are why we have the social safety net we do. Good on you for being a good parent, hopefully you are instilling good values in your kids & providing an environment of love and care. If you are someone who has generally been on the recieving end of bad luck and ill fortune, why on earth should you be down on yourself for utilising the safety net? There is not a person who this site who would begrudge a person in your situation from utilising a safety net, it is the people who choose a benefit as a life-style choice who people take aim at.

If there is 'judging' going on, it is more likely to be coming from the fantasists on the Left who think that life can be made 'fair', and who call people who vote for National and ACT 'selfish' and worse.