sharetrader
Page 119 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1287
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Have a recommend from me for this post. Seldom one sees anyone prepared to acknowledge they were wrong or had misjudged a situation. It's what free speech is about, ratrher than a shouting match. Bravo!
    I second this.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Bloody disgrace - the charities squealing like well fed pigs under Labour and are now being held to account for the wasteful spending which takes away funding from where the real needs are.

I say - Fxxk them and the arseholes parents.
    Yes the money is needed right away to put back on tax incentives for landlords (who are also part of the problem).
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-03-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Front page of the herald today Charities providing school lunches concerned that David is being put in charge as he has stated he is against them.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...ID72DJNYGJ3ZE/

I agree with him that the parents not feeding their kids are sh*tbags but is it the kids fault?

Seymour really is an ahole.
    My parents were watching a documentary about this and mentioned the amount of food that went to the teachers houses, or went in the bin was insane. Kids just didn't eat the food provided and the majority of kids not wanting to eat were the kids needing the food. Go Figure....... It is not cool to show you are hungry and that your family don't have money. My daughter just mentioned it was in her school and it was frowned upon to eat free lunches.

I agree parents who don't feed their children if they can are a###holes.
    Last edited by Ggcc; 04-03-2024 at 11:54 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    My parents were watching a documentary about this and mentioned the amount of food that went to the teachers houses, or went in the bin was insane. Kids just didn't eat the food provided and the majority of kids not wanting to eat were the kids needing the food. Go Figure....... It is not cool to show you are hungry and that your family don't have money. My daughter just mentioned it was in her school and it was frowned upon to eat free lunches.

I agree parents who don't feed their children if they can are a###holes.
    Interesting, and reinforces the earlier point about school dynamics if there are hungry kids not taking food because they will feel looked down upon, or get hassled etc.

It would be incredibly disappointing if this was a major barrier to getting food to kids in need. Because it is absolutely not reasonable to expect taxpayers to buy a bunch of food 'for all' only to have tonnes of it going to teachers and their mates or the bin.

Does taxpayer funded lunches for disadvantaged kids end up being a really nice idea but ultimately unworkable?

I hope not, because I would love to see a reasonable and affordable policy that helps feed these kids. I have a young son and just imagining him going all day at school with no food is enough to make my eyes sting.

Guru

I could be wrong but the figure is about $8.28 per lunch. That is a hell of a lot of money being thrown away on good days and total wastage on bad days. This money could be far better utilised elsewhere. Food in schools is a disaster and David is totally onto it.

Those that are squealing loudest are those on the tit taking some of this tax payer money for provision of crap services. (Crap in that the kids don't eat it)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I could be wrong but the figure is about $8.28 per lunch. That is a hell of a lot of money being thrown away on good days and total wastage on bad days. This money could be far better utilised elsewhere. Food in schools is a disaster and David is totally onto it.

Those that are squealing loudest are those on the tit taking some of this tax payer money for provision of crap services. (Crap in that the kids don't eat it)
    I wonder what is in the lunches?

If they have been designed by health nuts then that could also explain why they may not be as popular as hoped.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Another version of getting back to farming - NZ made produce bought by govt at inflated local prices.

Healthy doesn't have to taste bad though - I would do lots of meusli bars nuts, dried fruit which does taste similar to candy but with a vastly different nutritional profile.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I know a teacher at one of these schools and he says most days half is thrown out. Some days if its food the kids don't like, even more. He takes home lunches most days and puts them in the freezer or gives them to his flatmates, rather than them going to waste.
    I'm sure we have all heard these stories.
    I also know of teachers in several schools who think that the policy is the best thing since, well, sliced bread.
    Kids are more engaged and learning more.

I'm all for a review - so long as it is realistic and not Act ideology-driven.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post

If they have been designed by health nuts then that could also explain why they may not be as popular as hoped.
    They vary a lot depending on the provider.
    Some are more popular than others - kids need to be helped to change to a healthy diet sometimes.
    Marmite and crisps sandwiches are out apparently

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    They vary a lot depending on the provider.
    Some are more popular than others - kids need to be helped to change to a healthy diet sometimes.
    Marmite and crisps sandwiches are out apparently
    Act policy- introduce "choice" into the program.