sharetrader
Page 31 of 129 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

This is NOT what this Ardern government is capable of delivering, pure and simple.
    I think your statement applies to NZ Governments in general, not just Labour. And I would add our Councils as well. I have had the unfortunate experience of having to interact with our local Council far more than I would have liked…..$500k of our rates or/and tax payer money down the dunny. No accountability as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I think your statement applies to NZ Governments in general, not just Labour. And I would add our Councils as well. I have had the unfortunate experience of having to interact with our local Council far more than I would have liked…..$500k of our rates or/and tax payer money down the dunny. No accountability as far as I can see.
    In general, yes but in particular to this Ardern government.

Think of $1.9 billion on Mental Health to achieve zero progress. And Andrew Little in charge has the cheek to say that he was incredibly frustrated at the lack of progress - where does the buck stop, if not with him?

Think of $56m spent on the Auckland Harbour cycle bridge before it was scrapped - and still paying $600k annually for disused space meant to house the cycle bridge bureaucrats!

Think of the $240m to promote covid vaccination amongst Maoris - $150 Park n Save or Prezzy or petrol vouchers for ????

The list goes on and on and on.

Meanwhile, Plunket has to terminate some services due to $400k lack of funding! WTF!

And meanwhile, NZers are fed a daily diet of horse manure and spin about how wonderful this inept government is.
    Last edited by Balance; 17-05-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    The majority of fair minded wealthy NZers would not mind paying more tax and would, I believe, support a capital gains tax.
    Not just the wealthy, but many NZers would support a CGT - as long as it applies to everyone else, but not them. Point out that a fair CGT (e.g. the USA system) would include the house they live in, and watch the reaction.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 17-05-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Guru

Looking for pure solutions is something Act would want..

Would a CGT with house exemption be a more fair system than now, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Not just the wealthy, but many NZers would support a CGT - as long as it applies to everyone else, but not them. Point out that a fair CGT (e.g. the USA system) would include the house they live in, and watch the reaction.
    There’s no need to follow the US system - the Australian one is good for purpose imo.

There’s exemption provisions & threshold amounts in the US of course too before CGT applies. Then, as an offset in the US system, there’s the deductibility of home mortgage interest as well as the fact that mortgages are non-recourse over there. Can never see it happening here in a thousand years!

Legend

Let the Market sort itself out instead - No Dimwit Interest deductibility rules,
    reinstate Depreciation claims on rentals, Kick out Brightline for all but foreign
    non resident campers warehousing properties - replace it with provision that
    they get hit with Capital Gains tax AKA Income tax on 100% of the gain.

That should help Housing Stock Supply issues fairly quickly which is the
    cause of many of the problems not addressed by recent Administrations.

Move the wheel back a to more level playing field holding Renegade & Destructive
    tenants fully responsible for their actions.

You want Housing Investment to satisfy Demand - dont look at Govt for that
    6 years of the past Government have proven how well that stacks up and delivers
    on a multitude of fronts.

Obviously private investment is an important facet of the market

Only a bunch of blind idiots would kick or penalise it after what Govt's policies
    have effectively produced and done for the sector on a wide range of scores

Why has no-one in Parliament woken up to what their policies are doing and have done ?

All too dumb, stupid or engrossed in their own perfect little closed in worlds of inherent stupidity ?
    Last edited by nztx; 17-05-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Let the Market sort itself out instead - No Dimwit Interest deductibility rules,
    reinstate Depreciation claims on rentals, Kick out Brightline for all but foreign

I didn't realise these 'non-resident campers warehousing properties' were actually taking the properties away, presumably to their own country. Must be stopped immediately before there are no houses left here in good ol' N.Z.

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post

Move the wheel back a to more level playing field holding Renegade & Destructive
    tenants fully responsible for their actions.

You want Housing Investment to satisfy Demand - dont look at Govt for that
    6 years of the past Government have proven how well that stacks up and delivers
    on a multitude of fronts.

Obviously private investment is an important facet of the market

Only a bunch of blind idiots would kick or penalise it after what Govt's policies
    have effectively produced and done for the sector on a wide range of scores

Why has no-one in Parliament woken up to what their policies are doing and have done ?

All too dumb, stupid or engrossed in their own perfect little closed in worlds of inherent stupidity ?
    Let the market sort it out? Thats a joke. Too much money to be made building landscaped complete houses for those who can afford high mortages(or not).
    Basic houses financed by State Advance loans for first home buyers which developers catered for disappeared with the 1987 policy changes introduced by Prebble ,Shipley and their followers.
    Resuting in todays problems for which Labour is reluctant to introduce any real solutions.

westerly

Legend

Of course, there was never a Housing crisis when Clark & Cullen were in office, or was there
    or in some back office somewhere are efforts underway to try to rewrite past history ?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I didn't realise these 'non-resident campers warehousing properties' were actually taking the properties away, presumably to their own country. Must be stopped immediately before there are no houses left here in good ol' N.Z.
    You're on to it -- they probably mostly woke up a while back that they may have rocks in their heads
    to go or stray anywhere close to the NZ Residential Properties in the prevailing political currents

Smart bods many of those foreign property investors are

What could possibly go wrong with Govt a couple of terms back promising houses for all

We all know how that went & is going .. about as well as Shane's big (mostly invisible)
    Govt tree planting project

Perhaps the Trees were supposed to plant themselves as the Houses were to instantly build themselves
    while no-one was watching ?
    Last edited by nztx; 18-05-2022 at 03:31 PM.