sharetrader
Page 5 of 129 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    Seymours policy takes center stage and is thoroughly explained in his book. even if you don't like the guy, he has a solid, understandable set of principles that anyone here would more or less respect if they took the time to read his book without a predisposition to hating whatever he says.

If you slap a National logo on top of ACT's policy portfolio you would have a winning campaign - National are not prepared to deviate to a place that will keep the young and forgotten happy enough - where the Labour/Greens/NZF have big change planned, but all while towing a huge fiscal burden behind itself - not sure why throwing even more money at a bunch bureaucrats with no skin in the game would be advantageous to one of the greatest cash burners known to man " the government" ( this is satirical, but sort of true )

My understanding of NZ politics is that National will forever have a huge voter base that could not fathom voting for the " fiscally loose, social policies" that come with L/G/NZF - it, of course works both ways with people hating National for anything and everything ( more or less lack of anything ) they do, but these voters are not always convinced by the opposition parties and have to be enthused and pushed into the voting booth. ( Jacinda has the momentum with these fringe voters )

Politics always brings out the worst in people, it often divides a set of seemingly intelligent individuals and moulds them into one great big mass of ones and twos - in politics there are only binary options despite what MMP sets out to achieve.

All in all, I am voting ACT and I believe if you take the time to read Seymour's book, research his policy and see for yourself how it has been executed overseas you might just do the same.

I appreciate any opinions you have on how my vote for ACT is wrong and I am happy to change my opinion if persuaded by a solid argument.
    It's not wrong. Act has always had good policies but have never managed to sell them to voters. I intend to vote National this time, but may switch to Act if it looks like they will get over the hump for a second MP, or hopefully - even a third.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    What is the inflation component of a fixed interest investment?
    If your td earns 3% gross pa or 2% after tax, and the increase in CPI is 2% pa, the effective inflation adjusted net yield on your term deposit is zero.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    S....

I appreciate any opinions you have on how my vote for ACT is wrong and I am happy to change my opinion if persuaded by a solid argument.
    I think the most "productive capitalism" friendly parties are TOP (for its suggested reforms to try and shift investment away from inflating the price of land) and ACT in that order.

Advanced Member

You are dreaming if you think ACT will ever get another MP - one is already too many and thats a gift from the Tories anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It's not wrong. Act has always had good policies but have never managed to sell them to voters. I intend to vote National this time, but may switch to Act if it looks like they will get over the hump for a second MP, or hopefully - even a third.

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    You are dreaming if you think ACT will ever get another MP - one is already too many and thats a gift from the Tories anyway.
    Paying teachers based on performance rather than collective lowest common denominator seems like a good idea to me

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Paying teachers based on performance rather than collective lowest common denominator seems like a good idea to me
    If you have excellent teachers but in an area of increasing poverty, increasing overcrowding and/or substandard housing and poor quality equipment, the chances are their performance will suffer. If some teachers increasingly have students who are inadequately nourished and clothed and the students continually fall ill, then some teachers have a deteriorating environment in which they try to teach
    Last edited by Bjauck; 03-09-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    If you have excellent teachers but in an area of increasing poverty, increasing overcrowding and/or substandard housing and poor quality equipment, the chances are their performance will suffer. If some teachers increasingly have students who are inadequately nourished and clothed and the students continually fall ill, then some teachers have a deteriorating environment in which they try to teach
    You may find excellent teachers shine through in these areas

Guru

You may find excellent teachers shine through in these areas
    The ones who perhaps perform well in social work as well as teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The ones who perhaps perform well in social work as well as teaching?
    Depends on how excellence will be defined.

Guru

Depends on how excellence will be defined.
    Sure. And will it differ from rich to poor areas? So you think excellence for teachers in areas becoming more deprived will be constantly changing to include expertise in social work? Whilst those in continually prosperous areas will be judged on their ability to teach? So teaching ability will not necessarily mean teaching ability depending on where you teach?