sharetrader
Page 58 of 129 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

We have "been there done that" before, and it clearly didn't work. I worked in a government department for eight years, and while the KPI system didn't affect me, in my role, it applied to local and regional management staff, but from what I observed in my job, it had zero impact on overall outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    This will be music to the ears of many….

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...ief-executives

‘The ACT Party, in its bid to slash the public service, is promising to set “performance benchmarks” for the likes of education and health, as well as issuing public sector chiefs “KPIs” and return them to salaries with performance pay.

ACT leader David Seymour announced the party’s public service policy at Samuel Marsden Collegiate School in Karori, Wellington, on Sunday afternoon. The party has already promised to slash government spending by $1 billion on “day one”, if a National-ACT coalition government is elected in October.

“Government departments are no longer going to be able to get away with spending billions of dollars while failing to deliver meaningful outcomes for taxpayers,” Seymour said, in a statement about the announcement.’

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    We have "been there done that" before, and it clearly didn't work. I worked in a government department for eight years, and while the KPI system didn't affect me, in my role, it applied to local and regional management staff, but from what I observed in my job, it had zero impact on overall outcomes.
    “Clearly didn’t work” could be an apt description for many currently ‘employed’ in make-work positions within the public service.

I work in public sector currently have done for the past 5 years+ and support act and this policy. I don't think my job will get cut as a result but if it does I'll happily find a job elsewhere. I attended today in Karori and it was a good turn out and David certainly speaks well, I think Luxon will struggle to compare if we end up with a strong NACT coalition.

Advanced Member

Does anyone know if the PM can be appointed from a minority party under the rules of MMP?

I know I will be howled down by the purists that the egos of other aspirants in a major party won't let it happen, but that's not the question.

Appointment

2.2The Prime Minister is appointed by warrant by the Governor-General. In making this appointment, constitutional convention requires the Governor-General to:

• act on the outcome of the electoral process and subsequent discussions between political parties. These discussions ascertain which party, or group of parties, appears able to command the confidence of the House of Representatives (expressed through public statements) and therefore has a mandate to govern the country; and
    • act on the outcome of the political process by which the person who will lead the government as Prime Minister is identified.

"expressed through public statements" - does that refer to the statements of the members of House of Representatives OR does it refer to the "voice of the voters?" Personally, I can't imagine under this description, that a PM could ever be appointed from a minority party. But who knows. Scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Does anyone know if the PM can be appointed from a minority party under the rules of MMP?

I know I will be howled down by the purists that the egos of other aspirants in a major party won't let it happen, but that's not the question.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 20-08-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Dilettante

Appointment

2.2The Prime Minister is appointed by warrant by the Governor-General. In making this appointment, constitutional convention requires the Governor-General to:

• act on the outcome of the electoral process and subsequent discussions between political parties. These discussions ascertain which party, or group of parties, appears able to command the confidence of the House of Representatives (expressed through public statements) and therefore has a mandate to govern the country; and
    • act on the outcome of the political process by which the person who will lead the government as Prime Minister is identified.

"expressed through public statements" - does that refer to the statements of the members of House of Representatives OR does it refer to the "voice of the voters?" Personally, I can't imagine under this description, that a PM could ever be appointed from a minority party. But who knows. Scary thought.
    It isn't that uncommon in Europe to see a PM that is not from the biggest Parliamentary party. I don't think there is any reason why the same couldn't be done in NZ, but can't really see it myself in the near future while we have 2 parties that so far are much bigger than the others. That could however change.

I sincerely hope not. I have no desire to see Seymour as PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It isn't that uncommon in Europe to see a PM that is not from the biggest Parliamentary party. I don't think there is any reason why the same couldn't be done in NZ, but can't really see it myself in the near future while we have 2 parties that so far are much bigger than the others. That could however change.

Dilettante

I sincerely hope not. I have no desire to see Seymour as PM.
    I don't think there is any chance of that while their MP numbers may be about 1/3 of National's, based on current polling.

Where I am currently there is a 3 party Government and 7 parties represented in Parliament. The across the political spectrum Government has 55% of MPs in Parliament where a center right party is the biggest with 25% (holds finance and few other large portfolios) a centrist party with 17% (some meaty portfolios) and the Left Greens with 13% have the PM (and 2 others including Environment).
    They are half way through a 2nd term of 4 years.

So it can be done.

Guru

Seymour will never be PM, finance minister or have any important portfolio.

Maybe he can be an associate finance minister & the minister of economic development.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Seymour will never be PM, finance minister or have any important portfolio.

Maybe he can be an associate finance minister & the minister of economic development.
    Writes panda-nz who asserts that France and Australia are going back to the stone age because they have banned mobiles in schools.