sharetrader

Default Christchurch arena

National goes in with the first bid to buy Canterbury votes. Another $120m into the Arena pot bringing tax payer contribution to $179m

As much as i appreciate the gesture how does a $496m stadium add up economically?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    As much as i appreciate the gesture how does a $496m stadium add up economically?
    I always like to go back to how much it will cost per person. If you take the population of Canterbury being 600.000 and then divide by that it works out to about $800 for every man, woman and child in the area. Is that economic?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    it works out to about $800 for every man, woman and child in the area. Is that economic?
    Lets assume for a moment christchurch secured the mayweather c mxgregor fight.

I can watch this on sky pay perview for $40 with as many mates and beers of our choice.

Or i could get one ticket to get into the bledislie game on saturday for $120.

Im thinking id prefer govt just gave me the $800 and call it quits. That way i dont have to help fund future depreciation and RandM costs. And i xan watch events in whatever manner i choose

(Have you seen how many seats are full for local super rugby games. Not very many!)

Banned

Lets assume for a moment christchurch secured the mayweather c mxgregor fight.

I can watch this on sky pay perview for $40 with as many mates and beers of our choice.

Or i could get one ticket to get into the bledislie game on saturday for $120.

Im thinking id prefer govt just gave me the $800 and call it quits. That way i dont have to help fund future depreciation and RandM costs. And i xan watch events in whatever manner i choose

(Have you seen how many seats are full for local super rugby games. Not very many!)
    No fully with you there. I see no need for Govt, or Council for that matter to involve themselves with the building of Stadia. Should stick to roads, water and rubbish. If the community wants a stadium I am sure some entrepreneur will build one. At best a loss making entity at worse, look at Dunedin.

No fully with you there.
    See my first post.

I'm no Gareth Morgan but apparently the latest lions tour (one of the biggest events ever in nz) will return an economic benifit of around $135m. On the day wellington got $30m when the game was at the caketin.

If you take the population of Canterbury being 600.000 and then divide by that it works out to about $800 for every man, woman and child in the area. Is that economic?
    Just read I'm going to be paying $120 a year extra on my rates to pay for the stadium. So in 7 years (less time credited due to tax payer contribution) I'll have paid my dues and will get the money back off my rates. Yeah right!

Now I'm cross!. If Nelson has a stadium that meets All Black standards I cant see any merit in spending anything like $500m in Christchurch. Give me my money back so I can go to Nelson and Dunedin!

Banned

Just read I'm going to be paying $120 a year extra on my rates to pay for the stadium. So in 7 years (less time credited due to tax payer contribution) I'll have paid my dues and will get the money back off my rates. Yeah right!
    Never going to happen, that $120 will be applied to the next vanity project.

Just so we understand economic return i can still buy at least 2 tickets to tomorrow nights game. Row g $350.

That tells me demand for these events isn't high.

How much is nzru and sky putting in? If there was any economics involved they would be shouldering their fair share of the burden of the costs.

Even then the consumer only gets to go at the whim if the advertisers with their 7.30pm starts. Bring back day games when it better suits the locsls who are paying for these white elephants!

Producing the best local rugby team in the world isnt good enough to secure a local test match then what is?

About time NZRU got told to fvck off. Build your own stadium and not with tax or rate payer money

Producing the best local rugby team in the world isnt good enough to secure a local test match then what is?

About time NZRU got told to fvck off. Build your own stadium and not with tax or rate payer money
    Exactly.........I was never in favour of the Auckland stadium (still simmering away). Show me a stadium that's a good investment. So I certainly do not agree with $500m+ expenditure for Christchurch....

Banned

NZ is cursed in its geography. Show me a city of 5 million people and they may have a few stadiums that cater for large huge events and some smaller ones. NZ has umpteem stadiums littered all over the country costing the populace far too much.

NZ is cursed in its geography. Show me a city of 5 million people and they may have a few stadiums that cater for large huge events and some smaller ones. NZ has umpteem stadiums littered all over the country costing the populace far too much.
    Id love a stadium for christchurch - if the little Stadium Pixie came and sprinkled some magic pixie powder here.

But in the meantime why not one decent Stadium that tax payers can afford to get to because they arent being fleeced from their taxes or rates.

Wellingtons caketin fits the bill i reckon. Central, ease of access to transportation and hospitality and semi enclosed. Lets call it quits at that.

Can't see the point in spending $500m. Could any game be better than tonight's

I always like to go back to how much it will cost per person. If you take the population of Canterbury being 600.000 and then divide by that it works out to about $800 for every man, woman and child in the area. Is that economic?
    Now less jacindas $300m of tax payer cash economics may not come into it.