sharetrader
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hunting for Heuristic trends

Personally I see an "approaching/emerging time" where the importance of the Minafreights and Postal type services will be even larger than they are today due to the 'Online shopping" experience... someone still has to deliver the end product.

The potential impact from Amazon will be larger and more diverse than some here presently tend to think, have a read up on their foray into the 'Fresh Foods" market in USA

Actually makes me thankful this is a smal country that already has good quality food in the supermarkets. Im astounded by the difference in what you can eat is dependent on your wallet size attitude of the american market...
    Last edited by arc; 30-08-2017 at 01:32 PM.

i believe the thl has better growth rates as well, they need money to invest as well, and why still pay high dividend than mft, anyone can specify the project(acquisitions etc.)the mft investing now compare to the thl? Thanks.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Personally I see an "approaching/emerging time" where the importance of the Minafreights and Postal type services will be even larger than they are today due to the 'Online shopping" experience... someone still has to deliver the end product.

The potential impact from Amazon will be larger and more diverse than some here presently tend to think, have a read up on their foray into the 'Fresh Foods" market in USA

Actually makes me thankful this is a smal country that already has good quality food in the supermarkets. Im astounded by the difference in what you can eat is dependent on your wallet size attitude of the american market...
    I think the listed company that is benefitting from delivering on line purchases is FRE not MFT.
    FRE also have their own aircraft that fly up and down the country at night time.
    MFT do not own any planes.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I think the listed company that is benefitting from delivering on line purchases is FRE not MFT.
    FRE also have their own aircraft that fly up and down the country at night time.
    MFT do not own any planes.
    Percy Im wondering if Amazon will perform a buy-in for/with any of the existing freight forwarding companies, or just establish its own version ?, there is a lot of tech talk of Air-Drones for small sized/lower weight parcels.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/23/tech...ves/index.html
    Last edited by arc; 30-08-2017 at 02:04 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Percy Im wondering if Amazon will perform a buy-in for/with any of the existing freight forwarding companies, or just establish its own version ?, there is a lot of tech talk of Air-Drones for small sized/lower weight parcels.
    Sorry I have no idea,although I would point out FRE have a very clever operation.
    NZ Post also has planes.
    It would appear FRE's operation is the superior.

Doing well out of my FRE, thanks percy ,who originally pointed them out and so bit of research I did and bought

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

ps.The book on the history of Mainfreight is a fantastic book to read.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip about the book Percy, I have just ordered it from the Library!

Have owned small parcel of THL for the last couple couple years, and kick myself every time I see the price that I didn't buy more back then!
    I do love the way the company has been performing over the last few years...

Have looked at MFT and FRE, but have yet to take the plunge, other things keep coming up such as OCA....

If only I could find that elusive truck load of cash...then I really could go to town...

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    ps.The book on the history of Mainfreight is a fantastic book to read.
    Thanks for the tip about the book Percy, I have just ordered it from the Library!

Have owned small parcel of THL for the last couple couple years, and kick myself every time I see the price that I didn't buy more back then!
    I do love the way the company has been performing over the last few years...

Have looked at MFT and FRE, but have yet to take the plunge, other things keep coming up such as OCA....

If only I could find that elusive truck load of cash...then I really could go to town...[/QUOTE]

It is always fun trying to work out which is the best company to invest in ,FRE,MFT or THL.Just such great companies.
    I think we learn a great deal from reading books, such as the one on Mainfreight.I learnt a lot from Alan Gibbs' book too, which included a section on FRE.
    Each business faced up to hardships,challenges and disappointments,often fighting to survive.No easy street for any of them.
    Don't worry about that truck load of cash,just invest what you can wisely.

ps I didn't buy enough THL either,so brought some ATL on the Aussie market.
    Now I am "well positioned."..lol.

Bought the book from trademe as well

Guru

Interesting thread to hear other views.So seems like I'm one of the few that would choose FPH. Because bigger MOAT,more investment in research & development,patents(looks highly likely to succeed in its challengers),low debt and decreasing.The quiet achiever,management keeps on achieving.It was good buying back at around $9 less than one year ago.The bluest of blue chips.
    BUT as posters say always overvalued.SP will likely take a hit in any down turn but has a high probability of bouncing back sooner rather than latter in the long term.