sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winston Peters

Advanced Member

Default Winston Peters

I'm surprised that WP is not a topic all on his own. I have kept an eye on him from his days as a protégé of Muldoon and I think I was for a time, a member of his party. I am surprised at his ability to hop from one populist rock to another without ever getting his feet wet. I look for a policy for NZ First but he's always there on somebody else's issue, just long enough to have his picture taken and then he's off again. What about his Team?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I'm surprised that WP is not a topic all on his own. I have kept an eye on him from his days as a protégé of Muldoon and I think I was for a time, a member of his party. I am surprised at his ability to hop from one populist rock to another without ever getting his feet wet. I look for a policy for NZ First but he's always there on somebody else's issue, just long enough to have his picture taken and then he's off again. What about his Team?
    He doesn't let them out in public; not without their muzzles on.

Advanced Member

Winston will tell you they all stole his policies .....

What team craic? Very conspicuous by their absence. They barely exist as far as the media is concerned. The media overplay him and he is very Jekyll and Hyde with them.

Advanced Member

Peters never wanted Labour to change its leader he even said so but he knew the likely outcome and that never suited him - political slide to oblivion.

Advanced Member

I may be wrong but I seem to remember John Key taking the stance that he would never accommodate Peters in any government he formed. I would love to see either of the two leaders at this election come out and say the same - I'm sure it would be worth a lot of votes. Now it may come to the point where either National or Labour will have to agree to a Peters set of promises if they want to govern. That will be the end of whichever leader agrees because Peters policies will drain the treasury of funds for other issues. Now he wants the Gisborne to Napier railway restored. That little used track would cost may millions and would never be safe from continued coastal erosion. The Manawatu gorge is the same. He spent time In Woodville rarking up a bunch of locals over this, possibly the most potentially dangerous bit of road anywhere. Now I'm off to the TAB, probably to bet on the same horses as Winnie.

Guru

I may be wrong but I seem to remember John Key taking the stance that he would never accommodate Peters in any government he formed. I would love to see either of the two leaders at this election come out and say the same - I'm sure it would be worth a lot of votes. Now it may come to the point where either National or Labour will have to agree to a Peters set of promises if they want to govern. That will be the end of whichever leader agrees because Peters policies will drain the treasury of funds for other issues. Now he wants the Gisborne to Napier railway restored. That little used track would cost may millions and would never be safe from continued coastal erosion. The Manawatu gorge is the same. He spent time In Woodville rarking up a bunch of locals over this, possibly the most potentially dangerous bit of road anywhere. Now I'm off to the TAB, probably to bet on the same horses as Winnie.
    Peters wants the Prime Minister's role. If he can't get that he'll probably settle for the promise of a knighthood - all those bottom lines and policy positions don't mean a thing except when he's campaigning.

Advanced Member

Now he wants to crucify a Chinese member of National because this man was a teacher of English to various parts of the Chinese military and intelligence. Doesn't he understand that in China like many other places everyone must serve the nation regardless of what they think themselves. Doesn't he understand that we are officially friends of China? Maybe he will go through his house and his wardrobe and discard everything made in China. I suspect he would be left standing outside, naked with only his Best Bets to cover what he wants to cover.

Advanced Member

Not Likely Craic. Doesn't Winnie have a thing for double breasted Italian suits?

Membaa

Peter's interview with Gyon this morning on RNZ was the most entertaining piece I have have heard in the whole entire election campaign so far. Thoroughly entertaining indeed.

Hi from far away..elections are best consumed from a distance imho...

Well now we will see if Winston believes in anything..if it is really going to be Peters demands on overseas ownership, immigration & affordability.

Thinking of all those corporate mates who have been so smug on meeting budgets as population growth of 2% makes it easy or....all the businesses that depend on bringing hordes of low skill, low wage labourers in to make their books balance need to come up with a new business plan, and any government that needs those same hordes to inflate GDP, because they've done bugger all to incentivise productive investment and increased productivity, and who depend on foreign dollars (with strings attached) to keep the economy plodding along, may well need to come up with a new plan for governance.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Hi from far away..elections are best consumed from a distance imho...

Well now we will see if Winston believes in anything..if it is really going to be Peters demands on overseas ownership, immigration & affordability.

Thinking of all those corporate mates who have been so smug on meeting budgets as population growth of 2% makes it easy or....all the businesses that depend on bringing hordes of low skill, low wage labourers in to make their books balance need to come up with a new business plan, and any government that needs those same hordes to inflate GDP, because they've done bugger all to incentivise productive investment and increased productivity, and who depend on foreign dollars (with strings attached) to keep the economy plodding along, may well need to come up with a new plan for governance.
    Well put. If Winston puts his foot down over immigration and ownership, hopefully he will channel National's minds into ways of shifting more investment into enhancing productivity rather than inflating the price of land.

Advanced Member

From the lead article in todays Herald, WP is clear that he would not form a government with National and in fact he sees himself as the NZ Government going into the future. Half the National caucus would have to be sacked and replaced by his lackeys. My feeling, as a National voter, is that Bill English should have the balls and the backing to refuse to go into partnership with NZ First and accept the role of opposition without further ado. Labour and WP could then try running the country with the Greens on the cross benches. It would only take three years.

percy

From the lead article in todays Herald, WP is clear that he would not form a government with National and in fact he sees himself as the NZ Government going into the future. Half the National caucus would have to be sacked and replaced by his lackeys. My feeling, as a National voter, is that Bill English should have the balls and the backing to refuse to go into partnership with NZ First and accept the role of opposition without further ado. Labour and WP could then try running the country with the Greens on the cross benches. It would only take three years.
    More likely three months.!!!

Guru

Funny thing about Winston - is he would be the ruination of National and its policies, yet the best thing that could happen to Labour and theirs.

Advanced Member

That cartoon out today, of WP as a prostitute, speaking to the driver of a car with National plates is one of the best I've seen in a long time.

AWOL

Wonder if Bill and Jacinda have entertained any ideas of teaming up?
    There was some daft proposal for Nat and the Greens to get together.
    With the greens being so far left they cant come right surely the red team would be a better proposal.

That way you get rid of Winston, the Greens and all the other distracting mynah parties into one little ball of babble in opposition.

Funnier things have happened at sea.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    Wonder if Bill and Jacinda have entertained any ideas of teaming up?
    There was some daft proposal for Nat and the Greens to get together.
    With the greens being so far left they cant come right surely the red team would be a better proposal.

That way you get rid of Winston, the Greens and all the other distracting mynah parties into one little ball of babble in opposition.

Funnier things have happened at sea.
    That ain't gonna happen.

Guru

Looks like Winston is going to spend his remaining time in Parliament feeding his paranoia, blaming everyone he can think of for disclosing details of the superannuation payments he wasn't entitled to.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12350174

percy

I expect he has it right.
    Question is who leaked the details to her.?
    I would guess one of the usual suspects.
    A lot of National people in denial.Mental health issues.?