sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Poverty

Default Child Poverty

Seems to be a main election plank for the major parties. Well I'm tired of it. Throwing money here and there but not one word about dealing to the parents who continue to make poor decisions.

May not be one word, but there is a quiet revolution happening under the radar, driven by the current government's social investment approach.

I would be concerned if a Labour led government dropped this or watered it down in favour of chucking more money.

For example the Young Parent scheme aimed at teenage parents seems to be working well. The number of teen parents has halved since 2008, and this has a major ongoing impact. The social investment approach has indicated these young parents tend to stay on welfare a very long time. The scheme provides a wraparound service, micromanagement of most benefit income and a system of rewards for good parenting (eg budgeting, enrolment in ECE).

I would like to see the scheme extended to benefit households which are not managing, especially financially.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    For example the Young Parent scheme aimed at teenage parents seems to be working well. The number of teen parents has halved since 2008, and this has a major ongoing impact. The social investment approach has indicated these young parents tend to stay on welfare a very long timey.
    Thats the kind of action on policy i like to see

(Im still disappponted no one has taken up my idea of imprisoning parents of fat kids - i suppose good things take time)
    Last edited by minimoke; 05-09-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    May not be one word, but there is a quiet revolution happening under the radar, driven by the current government's social investment approach.

I would be concerned if a Labour led government dropped this or watered it down in favour of chucking more money.

For example the Young Parent scheme aimed at teenage parents seems to be working well. The number of teen parents has halved since 2008, and this has a major ongoing impact. The social investment approach has indicated these young parents tend to stay on welfare a very long time. The scheme provides a wraparound service, micromanagement of most benefit income and a system of rewards for good parenting (eg budgeting, enrolment in ECE).

I would like to see the scheme extended to benefit households which are not managing, especially financially.
    Thats exactly right artemis and Bill did get fired up in the debate last night when talking about this. It is his vision and passion driving this. The Government has been working hard on identifying those most at risk (not an easy task) and then doing something about it by dealing one on one directly with the families. I know of one young man that had been on the wrong side of the law for several years and would not listen until agencies found an old auntie that he listened to and respected, enlisted her to help and the young man is now working and staying out of trouble.

Update Ready To Install

Bills passion is only to get reelected. This was transparently revealed when he was asked what he would march in the streets for, himself . Jacindas answer 'homelessness". Another tactic far too late to be worthy to attempt to steal Jacindas plank and it looked to me like that 2nd 50,000 was thrown out off the top of his head right then.

Jacinda wasn't convincing to me when she said she would resign if the super age went up from 65 , her body english suggested she resented saying that.She maybe felt pressured (and was )to do so and did. More experience will deal to that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Bills passion is only to get reelected. This was transparently revealed when he was asked what he would march in the streets for, himself . Jacindas answer 'homelessness".
    "What they would march for" what a nauseating inane question.

I want a leader of a team of doers. Not a windbag on some protest March that will achieve nothing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    "What they would march for" what a nauseating inane question.

I want a leader of a team of doers. Not a windbag on some protest March that will achieve nothing.
    It was an inane question. I thought English's answer was tongue in cheek, and quite appropriate. I can't visualise English as a banner carrying street marching member of the mob.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It was an inane question. I thought English's answer was tongue in cheek, and quite appropriate. I can't visualise English as a banner carrying street marching member of the mob.
    LOL Were these people (half the town) a mob?
    West Coasters march as they protest a proposed new Buller health centre
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ne...-health-centre

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Half the town could hardly be less than a mob.

Seems to be a main election plank for the major parties. Well I'm tired of it. Throwing money here and there but not one word about dealing to the parents who continue to make poor decisions.
    Definitely, up here in the Far North the local iwi has been given millions over the years to help fix this. There latest is to buy up the state houses from Auckland, move them up here and do them up. I know one of the tradies working on these houses, they all end up with solo mum's in them. One, he said has 9 kids (this is not unusual). It gets the kids into a nice home, so the idea is to lift them out of poverty. But is it deterring her from having more? Or others from having heaps of kids? They can't keep up with demand up here.

4000 people in the town and they want a hospital?

Guru

4000 people in the town and they want a hospital?
    Whether or not you agree with their cause is relevant in determining whether they are a "mob?"

Legend

Whether or not you agree with their cause is relevant in determining whether they are a "mob?"
    What do you call an informal group of people other than a mob?

Of course they are a mob. Like sheep - a group of like minded people that run together for the same cause.

Guru

Of course they are a mob. Like sheep - a group of like minded people that run together for the same cause.
    But when applied to people it has a negative connotation that they are prone to violence?

However I accept that calling all demonstrators a mob, whether peaceful or not, tars their cause with the same brush.

But when applied to people it has a negative connotation that they are prone to violence?

However I accept that calling all demonstrators a mob, whether peaceful or not, tars their cause with the same brush.
    Maybe a mob of wethers

Legend

Perhaps in your mind, but it has a much wider meaning.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Perhaps in your mind, but it has a much wider meaning.
    In the context of a group of NZers demonstrating their support for a cause, how should we interpret "mob"?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 05-09-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Legend

In the context of a peaceful group of NZers demonstrating their support for a cause, how should we interpret "mob"?

As an appropriate name .

Advanced Member

Do you ever make bad decisions with your money?