sharetrader
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vodafone IPO

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Are they any good apart from that? They seem to be up with any others for mbl phone connection
    2 degrees are good for mobile phone. But when I paid a visit to their Christchuch HQ, they seemed to be pushing small business broadband packages. That and high use fibre broadband. If you were an 'average Joe', after a basic broad band connection with e-mail support they didn't seem interested. Claimed they weren't big enough to match the discounted offerings from other players either. My conversation with them was civil and they were very polite. But I 'got the message'.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 08-09-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I am one of them. Landline, both mobile's (mine and Wife's), internet all with Vodo, but as I have to change email provider I shall change the lot at the same time. Looking at comments on social media, I am only one of thousands.

Not a good business decision at the time they may be looking to float.
    I'm another Jantar. Probably time to shift everything again. Spark's turn?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I'm another Jantar. Probably time to shift everything again. Spark's turn?
    With commoditized services, it's a race to the bottom. The constant churning of the customer base that's now occurs in order to obtain new customer discounts isn't a viable long-term proposition. I think power retailers are in a similar position.

Having said that, from a personal perspective I'd advise changing provider every so often to take advantage of these deals.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Using gmail good for filtering spam but they appear to use private info to target adds .
    Yes, the big winner in all of this will be Google who will develop more profitable relationships directly with tens of thousands of VF/Clear/Paradise/etc. email refugees.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    New 2 deg Mobile broadband with inc data OK.Do have to tick roaming in some areas to go on Vodafone network though?
    2 Degree's coverage is their Achilles heal AFAIC. VFNZ aren't too far ahead of them.

I'll definitely avoid any VF float for the foreseeable future.

Guru

Extracts from recent Street Talk article on AFR (1pm today):
    Bank of America Merrill Lynch has scored the third mandate on a proposed $1 billion-plus listing of Vodafone New Zealand.
    As first reported by Street Talk on Sunday, BoAML joins Deutsche Bank and its affiliate Craigs Investment Partners and UBS on the ticket.
    NZ-owned investment and advisory firm Forsyth Barr is BoAML's partner across the ditch, with bankers there heavily involved in the listing preparations.
    A non-deal roadshow is being planned for Aussie and Kiwi investors in coming weeks spearheaded by Deutsche Craigs.
    Transaction may slip into 2018, if it does proceed.

Guru

Another pay to view artcile in NBR with no (real) new info except that the listing is likely going to be pushed back to 2018 due to the election.
    So does that make OCA the only (likely) listing on the NZX this year?

Although the article did mention that Vodafone (parent) have spun out Kenyan subsidiary Safaricom in 2008 and South African business Vodacom in 2009 - I note both have done nicely on their respective exchanges since being listed, although different countries will naturally result in different factors (eg NZ could be more saturated and competitive)

Have had both vodafone home and mobile accounts for years. They still cannot give me both on one bill. Rumour is there is some pretty big backend stuff the needs big $$$ to get up to scratch to get the two systems together. I wonder how much legacy IT platforms need upgrades / replacing. I suppose it's best for vodafone UK to wait until after listing to fix these issues.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    Have had both vodafone home and mobile accounts for years. ....
    As have I. But moved both away from Vodafone this month in response to the closing of their email service. It is the difficulty of transferring email addresses that ties a lot of people to a particular provider.
    Last edited by Jantar; 24-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Yes they are a global brand but I don't see them leveraging their global capabilities, they certainly haven't brought much to NZ from what works well for them overseas.

Also, they are still essentially just Telstra Clear with a different coat of paint. The comment below about ageing and creaking systems is very pertinent.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Don't bother changing to 2 degrees broadband. They have stopped new customers opening e-mail accounts. I am guessing the end of their mail server is nigh as well.

SNOOPY
    Those of you left out in the cold by Vodafone's and other providers email drop and wish to avoid being absorbed into the dark void of Google can use my solution.

1. Register your own internet domain. Cost about 30 bucks a year.

2. Sign up for an email hosting service. Coats about 80-100 bucks a year.

Advantages are;

Unlimited mailboxes. Give your cat an email address.

Creates a professional impression if you are running a small business. and

Freedom to chop and change broadband providers without the hassle of changing email addresses.

I use NZ provider Discount Domains but there are plenty to choose from.

How about this example;

tiddles.cat@munroe.net.nz

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS Not a real cat or email address. Any smooching in my house is my job.
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 24-11-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: removed words
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.