sharetrader
Page 167 of 505 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    I think Finance spokesperson Paul Goldsmith's mistakes right at the start of Collins tenure as leader, which immediately undermined National's so called strength & point of difference , managing the economy, & tripped up Judith Collin's momentum dead in its tracks, added significantly to a party which looked a shambles. There is always a honeymoon period around a new leader but Collins was having to defend own goals right from the start.
    Collins is too polarizing.
    She also ran a very negative campaign, not to mention the lies.
    How long before they have yet another leader?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    As just about every thread has posts overtly promoting political parties of some sort and can be readily accessed on Election Day - surely the whole site should have been taken down for the duration of Election Day? Just like hoardings and billboards have to be physically removed.
    Voting started over 2 weeks ago yet advertising was allowed then too.
    Time has moved on since the rules were put in place.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Voting started over 2 weeks ago yet advertising was allowed then too.
    Time has moved on since the rules were put in place.
    Well of course it has. I agree. I was responding to This post:
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'd like to remind people that today we are not supposed to do any electioneering, by NZ law. This was brought up on this website by the owner a couple of elections ago and I suggest we adhere to it today.
    We live in a wonderful democracy people. Have a good weekend :-)
    If you cannot make a post seemingly favouring one Party over another - on the day of the election - then what about all the other posts previously made and still available on the site? Surely like election hoardings everything available needs to be removed? In other words the whole site should be taken off-line on the day of the election...
    Last edited by Bjauck; 18-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.

I have spent some time perusing the profiles of new MPs entering Parliament from all parties. Many do have interesting backgrounds and experiences, certainly diverse. One thing I took out was that the baby boomer era in politics is at an end. I would also make the observation that if you are male and over sixty your opinions do not matter nor canvassed, and like Victorian children are to be seen and not heard

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I have spent some time perusing the profiles of new MPs entering Parliament from all parties. Many do have interesting backgrounds and experiences, certainly diverse. One thing I took out was that the baby boomer era in politics is at an end. I would also make the observation that if you are male and over sixty your opinions do not matter nor canvassed, and like Victorian children are to be seen and not heard
    I totally disagree. The actions our PM has taken in the past six months have been predicated to a large extent on protecting the health of the vulnerable and elderly. So younger NZers will now have the responsibility to rebuild the economy.

If there has been a change, perhaps we have become slightly less of a gerontocracy and younger adults are demanding a greater say in the battles, real and figurative, in which they become the cannon fodder. The young also will have to live with the consequences of environmental damage wrought by the older generations. The consequences are already obvious.

Has there been a decline in the average age of MPs over the years? Perhaps it just seems that way? For example the average of MPs in the UK House of Commons has been about 50 since 1979.

The average age of MPs in Australia is about 51 and this compares with the average age of 48 back in 1901.
    https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...p1314/43rdParl

Of course there has been a change in the number of women in politics - as society lifts discriminatory practices.

I guess left wingers tend to be younger and conservative right wingers tend to be older. So a shift left in an election may bring in a younger average age for the MPs.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-10-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Gee - you must be so busy it takes under 5 minutes to vote!!
    Hmmm, would I rather take 5 minutes out of my working week or 5 minutes out of my weekend?

And yes - Kids under 5 years old running around the house, cut me some slack buddy

Anybody else blown away by how much Labour actually won by?
    We all knew Labour would get in, but just by how much - Presumably nobody expected overwhelming landslide?
    Last edited by Stumpynuts; 19-10-2020 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Asked further quesiton

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    Hmmm, would I rather take 5 minutes out of my working week or 5 minutes out of my weekend?

And yes - Kids under 5 years old running around the house, cut me some slack buddy

We all knew Labour would get in, but just by how much - Presumably nobody expected overwhelming landslide?
    Was interesting how the strong rural typically national electorates decided to give labour the mandate to bypass the greens. Smart voting from the rural sector.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    I thought Labour would get the proportion of votes that they did. Collins seemed to act desperately in the latter stages with an attack approach as opposed to positively promoting National policies.

Labour got 49% of the vote, yet 53% of the seats.

Guru

I guess left wingers tend to be younger and conservative right wingers tend to be older. So a shift left in an election may bring in a younger average age for the MPs.
    Some commentator said last week that they thought people become more right wing as they age.
    I seem to be the opposite - as I grow older I recognise the inequalities more and want to eradicate them where possible.

Guru

Labour got 49% of the vote, yet 53% of the seats.
    8% of the vote was wasted on the 'also rans' and gets re-distributed to the others.