sharetrader
Page 168 of 505 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I thought Labour would get the proportion of votes that they did. Collins seemed to act desperately in the latter stages with an attack approach as opposed to positively promoting National policies.

Labour got 49% of the vote, yet 53% of the seats.
    They got 49% of the total votes cast, but all parties end up higher than initial count - because ultimately it is the percentage of the effective votes that matters. so the waste votes (those votes for parties that don't make the 5% threshold) are discounted.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 19-10-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    8% of the vote was wasted on the 'also rans' and gets re-distributed to the others.
    I understand the system. I just had not taken into account that my 49% prediction for Labour could bring in 53% of the MPs - that there would be so much of the total vote that would be under the threshold for parliamentary representation.

I think the threshold for party representation in parliament should drop to 2% (or the % needed to bring in two MPs.)

The Labour "Landslide" is under 50% of the vote.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-10-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Veteran novice

I understand the system. I just had not taken into account that my 49% prediction for Labour could bring in 53% of the MPs - that there would be so much of the total vote that would be under the threshold for parliamentary representation. I think the threshold for party representation in parliament should drop to 2% (or the % needed to bring in two MPs.)
    Why don't we go the whole hog and give every party two MP's for starters!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Why don't we go the whole hog and give every party two MP's for starters!

Why do you think that my suggestion to increase proportional representation of votes warrants a ridiculous suggestion?

Veteran novice

Why do you think that my suggestion to increase proportional representation of votes warrants a ridiculous suggestion?
    Because we could fiddle endlessly with the criteria for representation. Why 2%, why not 1.5% or 3% or 4%?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Because we could fiddle endlessly with the criteria for representation. Why 2%, why not 1.5% or 3% or 4%?
    NZ's constitution has been a process of evolution, Humans like to improve things. Hence introduction of MMP in the first place.

Of course it could be any of those - time for a review of the original set % threshold along with review of the length of term of parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    Anybody else blown away by how much Labour actually won by?
    We all knew Labour would get in, but just by how much - Presumably nobody expected overwhelming landslide?
    Yes, Jacinda Ardern was blown away by how much Labour actually won, she did not expect it.

Another surprise was the support for the Greens, which generally wasn’t picked up by the media – Mike Hoskings in this interview with Jacinda Adern on 12 October doubted that the Greens would get back into parliament.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/electi...XTKIIKIESTX7U/

Strategic voting by National voters to keep the Greens out - mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    Was interesting how the strong rural typically national electorates decided to give labour the mandate to bypass the greens. Smart voting from the rural sector.
    Certainly some interesting trends re voting in this election.

Election 2020: Labour wins party vote in every South Island electorate.
    Nationwide, the only electorates where National lead the party vote were Taranaki-King Country, Waikato, Epsom and Tāmaki.
    Labour even lead the party vote in Judith Collins' own electorate of Papakura by a margin of 434 votes.
    Despite not leading in the party vote, the National Party still managed to win the Invercargill, Southland, Waitaki, Selwyn, Kaikōura and Waimakariri electorate seats in the South Island.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/electi...PY4NVO42JWRNQ/

Be interesting to see how Christopher Luxon gets on in Botany electorate, seeing as Jamie-Lee Ross has been laughed out of the electorate and on national television.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ional-audience