sharetrader
Page 176 of 505 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yes. I'm sure most know the recent history of homosexual law reform. I am also sure adults generally know the meaning of the simple term, homosexual; I accept there will be the odd exception, but that applies to every word in the dictionary.
    Some of us find euphemisms are cringe inducing. e.g I shudder when I hear someone has 'passed' or 'passed away' when we all know they have died. It's similarly offensive.
    You are pretty optimistic that most know the recent history of law reform.

I don't like euphemisms but I ask an American for the location of "the rest room" not because I want a little nap. Stateside, asking for the toilet can get a bit of a shocked reaction and water closet and lavatory elicits a bit of puzzlement.

I regard "gay" used in relational to "homosexual" as I regard "loo", "rest room" or "bathroom" in relation to a lavatory or latrine. It is a term with accepted local currency.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The negative discrimination/affirmative action conundrum? When does affirmative action to overcome the results of generations of discrimination itself become destructive discrimination.
    No, more the competence versus racist conundrum.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Look I'm not going to apologize for my viewpoint which comes from my Christian stance, I don't have any animosity toward those that are of the community we are talking about so I'm going to finish up on the subject now, continue on if you so wish.
    I did not ask for or expect an apology.

Being gay and christian are not necessarily mutually exclusive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_c...n_Christianity

Edit: I am spending more time on the offmarket forum currently as I am housebound with more spare time!
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-10-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Yes. I'm sure most know the recent history of homosexual law reform. I am also sure adults generally know the meaning of the simple term, homosexual; I accept there will be the odd exception, but that applies to every word in the dictionary.
    Some of us find euphemisms are cringe inducing. e.g I shudder when I hear someone has 'passed' or 'passed away' when we all know they have died. It's similarly offensive.
    It depends on the context. I say “I am sorry to hear your mother passed away.”
    I would not say “I’m sorry to hear your mother died” to anyone. "Died" is too blunt in many situations.
    Death is a very sensitive subject and any discussion if not handled with understanding can cause distress to someone else who is still grieving a loved one.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Just remember this forum is like the matrix, it's a parallel universe of reality that isn't real.
    What people call reality is usually perception, a way of understanding or interpreting something.

Cognitive biases (there are 100s) are systematic ways in which humans create subjective social reality that deviates from objective reality.
    Perception deviates too far from reality when it shifts from mild illusion to delusion, e.g. conspiracy theories.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    I would not say “I’m sorry to hear your mother died” to anyone. "Died" is too blunt in many situations.
    Death is a very sensitive subject and any discussion if not handled with understanding can cause distress to someone else who is still grieving a loved one.
    That is ridiculous.

That's interesting moka. I feel the exact opposite. I would rather someone directly acknowledged that my loved one has died rather than "passed away." I also feel very uncomfortable using the expression myself when offering my sympathies to someone in person or written in a card. I just find "passed away" distasteful. Maybe it is a religious thing? I am not religious and don't believe in life after death, so for me "died" makes more sense than "passed away" does. Maybe people who do believe in life after death reflect that with this expression?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    That's interesting moka. I feel the exact opposite. I would rather someone directly acknowledged that my loved one has died rather than "passed away." I also feel very uncomfortable using the expression myself when offering my sympathies to someone in person or written in a card. I just find "passed away" distasteful. Maybe it is a religious thing? I am not religious and don't believe in life after death, so for me "died" makes more sense than "passed away" does. Maybe people who do believe in life after death reflect that with this expression?
    You are right. 'Passed away' is distasteful.

You are right. 'Passed away' is distasteful.
    I don't like "passed away" either, but I don't get in a twist about it when people use the term. There are far too many other exciting opportunities to become offended!

It is entirely appropriate and shows a high level of sensitivity & care for the feelings of the bereaved when offering condolences to people who are religious to use ‘passed away’ - as almost all religions believe in an afterlife.