sharetrader
Page 180 of 505 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Quite probably at some stage in future, but there's a major difficulty National are facing for 2023 & that's a perceived lack of talent in their severely diminished caucus.
    One of the biggest reasons Labour completely annihilated National & just won by a record is that most NZers could not see the remaining National MP's as a viable government, too many mistakes, too much scandal, too much infighting, not enough diversity, lacking cohesion, boring old crusty and stale.
    Somehow they have to refresh & rebuild into a group which looks like representing the board interests of the country and being a viable government.
    The problem is how to do that with the remaining uninspiring bunch theyre left with.

The one possible outlier I see to this is Chris Luxton who has excellent media presentation skills but would voters see a first term MP as a viable PM in 2023?
    You fail to mention Covid! Even Cindy called it the Covid Election and made damn sure of it with her 1pm propaganda slots. I very much doubt she will bother post election to be there on a daily basis if there is another lockdown. No votes to be won. No point in ramping up the fear and propaganda without an election on the horizon.

I don't think it had much to do with National's talent pool. Labour's is a puddle, but the Nats leadership struggles and infighting certainly didn't help.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    You fail to mention Covid! Even Cindy called it the Covid Election and made damn sure of it with her 1pm propaganda slots. I very much doubt she will bother post election to be there on a daily basis if there is another lockdown. No votes to be won. No point in ramping up the fear and propaganda without an election on the horizon.

I don't think it had much to do with National's talent pool. Labour's is a puddle, but the Nats leadership struggles and infighting certainly didn't help.
    Those Communist style repetitive Covid adds had me wondering if I was living in Russia, people were brainwashed by clever marketing.

For me - Michelle Boag's filthy face all over the tv turned me off of National having any chance whatsoever.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Those Communist style repetitive Covid adds had me wondering if I was living in Russia, people were brainwashed by clever marketing.
    Isn't Russia more fascist than communist these days? Surely capitalist America finely tuned the marketing, advertising and product placement brainwashing.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    Back to cark.. it comes from the word Khak.. which means dirt, dust, etc. the word Khaki is also from the same root, meaning the colour of dust, or the colour of the dirt/mud, in Hindi. So the term to 'cark it' derives from 'dust to dust, ashes to ashes' referring to death..
    Thanks for that ynot, very interesting

Advanced Member

Clearly voters enjoyed the 1pm information slots apart from you and Balance.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/vaughan-gunson-assessing-the-2020-election-through-risks-rewards-lens/G7QOYRQH75CFTLJUWBAKZ4YEBM/

National must reduce its reliance on the conservative vote of property-owning, generally older New Zealanders. It's a voter base that isn't growing.
    National will need to make policy concessions to young people. Which means getting serious about climate change, public transport, and housing affordability, and maybe even moderating its go-to-policy of tax cuts for the well-off. The wealth gap is too large in New Zealand, and younger voters know this.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/23...-ray-of-light/
    The National Party is undertaking a review of its campaign. Presumably this will not be to determine the cause of its historic defeat.
    The cause is well known. The cause screams out from the pages of The New York Times, The Economist, The Guardian, The Sydney Morning Herald. The cause haunts the dreams of National’s vastly reduced caucus of 34. The cause is Jacinda.

More specifically, it is the relationship the prime minister formed with the public during the first lockdown, and the promise of stable and secure leadership through three years of unknown dangers as Covid continues to wreak havoc on the world’s economy and population.

That should focus the party on the real question: knowing the tide was going out, did it bring in enough new talent, from different backgrounds? The answer is almost certainly no.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    That should focus the party on the real question: knowing the tide was going out, did it bring in enough new talent, from different backgrounds? The answer is almost certainly no.
    You only need to look at the current leadership for that - no diversity of look or thinking - the voters that they resonate with is reducing.
    It was cringe-worthy for them to talk about their strong team and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    You only need to look at the current leadership for that - no diversity of look or thinking - the voters that they resonate with is reducing.
    It was cringe-worthy for them to talk about their strong team and experience.
    Relative to the Cindy's team of incompetents (Kelvin Davis at 3 and Phil Twitford at 4), Collins' team beats them hands down. This is the sad commentary on the state of NZ.