sharetrader
Page 29 of 505 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: National - FFS!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    You're a National MP with big political ambitions.

You've put in the time and effort - stood in a safe Labour electorate, been rewarded with a marginal electorate, made a decent showing - maybe even won it, been rewarded with a safe National seat, you make it onto the party list, you get a shadow portfolio, you ask the patsy questions, you defend the indefensible, you swallow all the dead rats that come your way, you're an undersecretary, then a secretary, then a junior minister, then a senior minister, and then . . . .

The party helicopters in Don Brash. . . . or John Key. . . or Mister Luxon. . .

As a Senior Figure in the party, as a Senior Minister in the government - bang! wham! you've just hit the glass ceiling.

Your career path now ends at Deputy Prime Minister.

As they ask on TV - "How do you feel. . . "
    If Luxon or anyone else proves popular it's hardly likely to affect morale; no more than Fred Bloggs if Fred stands and gets in. Should only those unlikely to be popular stand?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    If Luxon or anyone else proves popular it's hardly likely to affect morale; no more than Fred Bloggs if Fred stands and gets in. Should only those unlikely to be popular stand?
    No, not at all. It's virtually nothing to do with popularity.

But it's similar to the creeping demoralization that you see in the Public Service, where it's increasingly rare for a CE to be someone who has had a career with a Department, knows the operational side, understands policy and strategy, and how to implement them.

Instead, time at one of the "policy agencies" is becoming increasingly important. So senior management spends time having things explained to them. And the operational people spend ever-increasing amounts of time bringing management up to speed.

Who with ambition is going to put in the years of donkey work if they know that the top job is going to be forever out of reach?

Welcome to celebrity politics. . .

Legend

No, not at all. It's virtually nothing to do with popularity.

But it's similar to the creeping demoralization that you see in the Public Service, where it's increasingly rare for a CE to be someone who has had a career with a Department, knows the operational side, understands policy and strategy, and how to implement them.

Instead, time at one of the "policy agencies" is becoming increasingly important. So senior management spends time having things explained to them. And the operational people spend ever-increasing amounts of time bringing management up to speed.

Who with ambition is going to put in the years of donkey work if they know that the top job is going to be forever out of reach?

Welcome to celebrity politics. . .
    I thought all he had done so far is stick his hand up in an electorate. Surely any Nat. party member is allowed to do that, or is that not how it works?

IMO

Inresting sleuthing by RB here, yuck.
    Russell Brown on Twitter: "I had a look at The Upper Room, the ...https://twitter.com › publicaddress › status

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Inresting sleuthing by RB here, yuck.
    Russell Brown on Twitter: "I had a look at The Upper Room, the ...https://twitter.com › publicaddress › status
    Wouldn’t want him as PM
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I thought all he had done so far is stick his hand up in an electorate. Surely any Nat. party member is allowed to do that, or is that not how it works?
    And there was me thinking that the donors were parachuting him into a safe seat so he was ready to be annointed as leader when Mister Bridges loses the 2020 or 2023 election.

Silly, silly me. . .

Legend

And there was me thinking that the donors were parachuting him into a safe seat so he was ready to be annointed as leader when Mister Bridges loses the 2020 or 2023 election.

Silly, silly me. . .
    I don't know the rules but I thought anyone could join the party and stand in the electorate for election as the candidate.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I don't know the rules but I thought anyone could join the party and stand in the electorate for election as the candidate.

Of course they can fungus.

Crikey, the glittering careers of Messrs Gilmore, Barclay, and Ross should convince even the most doubting of sceptics. After all, every party needs lobby-fodder.

But when it's important. . .
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 11-11-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Legend

Of course they can fungus.

Crikey, the glittering careers of Messrs Gilmore, Barclay, and Ross should convince even the most doubting of sceptics.....
    So what is the problem?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

So what is the problem?
    Why would candidate quality and caucus morale not be important?