sharetrader
Page 113 of 505 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Fact check. As of yesterday mandatory quarantining for positive cases, and in same cases also family members.
    It's a shame. Megan Woods shown to be almost as slippery as her boss.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Fact checking. Bloomfield did not order people to be rounded up into quarantine centres, those people wanted to go.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12356559
    When asked why families who recently tested positive to Covid-19 were now being taken into quarantine facilities just hours after director general of Health Ashley Bloomfield said New Zealand rounded up sheep rather than people, Megan Woods said they wanted to.
    Woods, who is in charge of managed isolation facilities, said some of the people who were testing positive actually wanted to go into quarantine.
    "They wanted to isolate themselves away from family members who haven't tested positive," she said.
    Some of the families were big families living in single houses and so quarantine was a good option, Woods said.
    Spin spin and more spin - if only they spend real efforts on keeping the virus out instead.

Advanced Member

Interview with Opposition Health spokesperson Dr Shane Reti, very pleased to see the moderate considered response. But commonsense doesn’t make headline news, drama and extremism like Gerry Brownlee’s comments do.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...=6180926790001
    Despite the criticism of the Labour-led Government’s handling of the border and the latest Covid-19 outbreak by the National Party, Dr Reti says the Government is "doing its best" with its pandemic response.
    “I think the Government is doing the best that it can, it’s a hard problem.”
    “I went and had a meeting with Chris Hipkins and it was very productive, we have open communication channels with the Government.”
    The very last thing I said with him at the meeting was, ‘Chris, how can we help? What can we do?’ and he said ‘there is something you can do. Can you speak with your GP colleagues and see if they can help us with testing?'”
    He was quite impressive - probably in damage control after the Brownlee/Collins sideshow

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    dobby I'm not sure you are reading the electorate right. I suspect people have had enough of Jacinda's childish empty slogans and failures with nearly every single issue by this Government. The tide may well turn very quickly.
    You will be so wrong on that score and the alternative is Collins - are you for real?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...f-human-rights
    Coronavirus: National Party local official urges party to oppose lockdowns as 'breach of human rights'
    Allan Chesswas, chair of the Stratford branch, wrote to Collins, party president Peter Goodfellow, and several other MPs late on Thursday night asking the party oppose Covid-19 lockdown and stop buying into what he called the “overblown drama” surrounding the virus.
    “I do not and cannot consent to this ongoing breach of the basic human rights and civil liberties of everyday Kiwis,” he wrote.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12356495
    Crisis tests oppositions as well as governments.
    It started out well with New Zealand's Epidemic Response Committee, a cross-party vehicle of agonistic democracy, where the opposition could openly hold the government to account, even under a state of emergency.
    But the subsequent leaking of sensitive information for political gain by National Party members betrayed a lack of loyalty to government institutions, and to New Zealanders who entrust them with private information.
    Now, the opposition is insinuating that the government publicly withheld information about the present outbreak.
    Given how swiftly this coronavirus spreads, and how much the government has to lose from its spreading, it isn't politically rational for the government to cover it up. It is a cynical suggestion – and the opposition risks that many voters will see it as such.

This is a dangerous game. The opposition is undermining trust at a time when trust is incredibly important. New Zealand's strong levels of social and institutional trust are a key factor in our relatively successful pandemic response.
    Its degradation diminishes the country's capacity to fend off Covid-19.
    And it feeds into the paranoia that crises conjure up.
    The opposition's appeals to paranoia only add more fuel to the online inferno.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    dobby I'm not sure you are reading the electorate right. I suspect people have had enough of Jacinda's childish empty slogans and failures with nearly every single issue by this Government. The tide may well turn very quickly.
    You may be right. I know my skin crawls when she refers to 5 million people with no common thread as 'a team'. A corny and childish platitude.

Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...f-human-rights
    Coronavirus: National Party local official urges party to oppose lockdowns as 'breach of human rights'
    Allan Chesswas, chair of the Stratford branch, wrote to Collins, party president Peter Goodfellow, and several other MPs late on Thursday night asking the party oppose Covid-19 lockdown and stop buying into what he called the “overblown drama” surrounding the virus.
    “I do not and cannot consent to this ongoing breach of the basic human rights and civil liberties of everyday Kiwis,” he wrote.
    He's a person speaking his mind. A rare thing in the PC woke world in which Labour and the Greens exist.

moka, be so kind as to explain the exit strategy from NZ's level one and associated closed borders. I'd really love to know so that I can explain to my grandchildren why it is they are still paying of the debt in thirty years time. I don't recall Labour telling us when they committed to spending 150+ billion dollars.

From what I can tell it must be based on the gamble of a vaccine becoming available to the public within the next 12 months (backdated to April). How's that working out?

At what point do we abandon the closed borders and write of 150+ billion to experience?

Guru

The very last thing I said with him at the meeting was, ‘Chris, how can we help? What can we do?’ and he said ‘there is something you can do. Can you speak with your GP colleagues and see if they can help us with testing?'”
    National could help by not spreading false stories!

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    National could help by not spreading false stories!
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12356709

Paywalled

Cindy - Shameless Mistress of Spin