sharetrader
Page 119 of 505 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Nothing to do with my question on what is National’s Covid policy.
    When they are released is the answer.

You sound so eager but will just need to wait.

Meantime, you could reflect on Labour’s election policies and assess how relevant they are in the real world.

Did you read the Kiwibuild policy like I did last election?
    Last edited by Balance; 17-08-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Chill, Bjauck - election is two months away so we will all have enough time to read & assess National or Greens or NZF policies on tackling the pandemic when they are released.

Meanwhile, this is interesting reading, isn't it?

https://www.labour.org.nz/kiwibuild-2017

"KiwiBuild will deliver 100,000 affordable houses over ten years for first home buyers. Half of these will be built in Auckland. That is a ten-fold increase in the number of affordable houses being built in Auckland each year, from 500 to 5,000."
    Nothing on National’s policies about housing at all, that I could see yet. Probably because like last election when asked about the housing problem the National candidate said there is a housing shortage but it is not a problem (meaning no problem = no solution = we don’t need do anything about it = it is what it is.)

Let's deal with your assertions, one at a time.

On what basis do you assert that Brownlee was incompetent in the Christchurch rebuild?

He took on what was undeniably NZ's biggest natural disaster and delivered on many fronts.

It was inevitable that there would be many unhappy property owners who wanted a whole heap more - like free handouts, especially when they could not be bothered insuring their homes. And as usual in NZ, just as we have seen in the case of Pike River, we have certain politicians and gravy train riders who pander to the 'aggrieved' - the fact that they shout out loudest does not make them right.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ontrary-figure

Summation of positives & negatives - floor is yours, BlackPeter.
    Interesting comparison Brownlee’s handling of the Christchurch earthquake and Ardern’s handing of Covid. True, Brownlee took on what was undeniably NZ's biggest natural disaster and delivered on many fronts. But only many fronts. There were a lot of holes in the system with some real horror stories re earthquake repairs, botched repairs, long delays, people’s lives on hold because of slow or no decision.
    Some claims were settled quickly and the people were happy, but there were far too many that were slow to be settled and the people were/are not happy. And those were the insured home-owners.
    I don’t remember if he was subjected to the same scrutiny with his response as Ardern is being subjected to. But over the years as the problems persisted I don’t remember the same negative focus on the mistakes he made, as they were revealed. The mud did not seem to stick to him.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Interesting comparison Brownlee’s handling of the Christchurch earthquake and Ardern’s handing of Covid. True, Brownlee took on what was undeniably NZ's biggest natural disaster and delivered on many fronts. But only many fronts. There were a lot of holes in the system with some real horror stories re earthquake repairs, botched repairs, long delays, people’s lives on hold because of slow or no decision.
    Some claims were settled quickly and the people were happy, but there were far too many that were slow to be settled and the people were/are not happy. And those were the insured home-owners.
    I don’t remember if he was subjected to the same scrutiny with his response as Ardern is being subjected to. But over the years as the problems persisted I don’t remember the same negative focus on the mistakes he made, as they were revealed. The mud did not seem to stick to him.
    Comparing the multi-dimensional response required to a natural disaster vs a singular lockdown response to a pandemic - that’s like comparing flying a jumbo jet vs driving a car.

You figure out which is which.

What we know is that the driver of the car could not even drive without steering into the ditch, twice!
    Last edited by Balance; 18-08-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Comparing the multi-dimensional respond required to a natural disaster vs a singular lockdown response to a pandemic - that’s like comparing flying a jumbo jet vs driving a car.
    Is this a joke?

So you’re saying that a global pandemic that has now basically shut down international travel in many countries for almost 5 months, brought the health system in many countries to a halt and has had unprecedented effects in NZ and around the world is simple compared to the Christchurch earthquakes?

I’m not sure my assessment of the relative effect and complexity of these totally different events would quite as clear cut as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Is this a joke?

So you’re saying that a global pandemic that has now basically shut down international travel in many countries for almost 5 months, brought the health system in many countries to a halt and has had unprecedented effects in NZ and around the world is simple compared to the Christchurch earthquakes?

I’m not sure my assessment of the relative effect and complexity of these totally different events would quite as clear cut as yours.
    Yes, I am.

Once the decision is made, lockdown is easy.

Once the lockdown has been done, keeping the virus out via quarantining should be the easier bit.

Can't help it if this government is incapable of a water-tight quarantine regime.

No amount of spin by this government is going to deflect from that simple fact - they failed in the simplest of tasks, twice!

Have a look at Taiwan at how things get done.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Is this a joke?

You need to move into a dark cave without light, close your eyes, add several layers of a solid blindfold, put on very dark sunglasses and a integrated motorcycle helmet with a closed visor made out of black rubber to be able to get the same view as balance on whatever the current government might do :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    You need to move into a dark cave without light, close your eyes, add several layers of a solid blindfold, put on very dark sunglasses and a integrated motorcycle helmet with a closed visor made out of black rubber to be able to get the same view as balance on whatever the current government might do :
    Easier to be a sheep huh?

Then you simply follow wherever this government leads you and take in whole whatever this government feeds you.

And we know where the sheep ultimately ends up.
    Last edited by Balance; 18-08-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Easier to be a sheep huh?

And we know where the sheep ultimately ends up.
    I assume you talk from experience? Projecting? Just one thing you miss - not everybody is like you ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I assume you talk from experience? Projecting? Just one thing you miss - not everybody is like you ;
    You got it, BP. Seen sheep led to the slaughter many a times.

You simply follow wherever this government leads you and take in whole whatever this government feeds you.