sharetrader
Page 120 of 505 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Yes, I am.

Once the decision is made, lockdown is easy.

Once the lockdown has been done, keeping the virus out via quarantining should be the easier bit.

Can't help it if this government is incapable of a water-tight quarantine regime.

No amount of spin by this government is going to deflect from that simple fact - they failed in the simplest of tasks, twice!

Have a look at Taiwan at how things get done.
    You could also say that an earthquake is pretty easy too. If a building broken you just rebuild it. But given Christchurch is still broken many years on, maybe it’s not as simple as that.

Given barely any other country in the world has got control of this should be telling you that it’s not as easy as it seems. But at least all this complaining about Labour gives you something to do for 3 years at a time, although how you can sustain your anger for that long is beyond me.

Despite a few border issues, there’s nowhere else in the world I’d rather be right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Is this a joke?

So you’re saying that a global pandemic that has now basically shut down international travel in many countries for almost 5 months, brought the health system in many countries to a halt and has had unprecedented effects in NZ and around the world is simple compared to the Christchurch earthquakes?

I’m not sure my assessment of the relative effect and complexity of these totally different events would quite as clear cut as yours.
    If a global health pandemic such as Covid required half as much management as the CHCH earthquakes explain to me how our health minister can basically take a holiday while the country goes into lock down.
    Can you imagine, if following the earthquakes Gerry Brownlee refused to go to work?

National couldn't see the earthquake coming, Labour had time to prepare and still stuffed it up.
    Labours two 2 strategies of lock-down and print money will only fly for a short period and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    You could also say that an earthquake is pretty easy too. If a building broken you just rebuild it. But given Christchurch is still broken many years on, maybe it’s not as simple as that.

Given barely any other country in the world has got control of this should be telling you that it’s not as easy as it seems. But at least all this complaining about Labour gives you something to do for 3 years at a time, although how you can sustain your anger for that long is beyond me.

Despite a few border issues, there’s nowhere else in the world I’d rather be right now.
    I am happy NOT to be a sheep.

Very very very happy.
    Last edited by Balance; 18-08-2020 at 12:17 PM.

I am happy NOT to be a sheep.

Very very very happy.
    ... and you are probably right. Our sheep would never post that much nonsense ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    ... and you are probably right. Our sheep would never post that much nonsense ;
    Nope. They just swallow whatever is fed to them - without question.

Before the inevitable - baaa baaa 🤣
    Last edited by Balance; 18-08-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Nope. They just swallow whatever is fed to them - without question.

Baaa baaaa ��
    It appears you don't even know a lot about sheep ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    It appears you don't even know a lot about sheep ...
    We are talking about labourite sheep - they gobble whatever is fed to them as long as it’s from Cindy.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Nothing on National’s policies about housing at all, that I could see yet. Probably because like last election when asked about the housing problem the National candidate said there is a housing shortage but it is not a problem (meaning no problem = no solution = we don’t need do anything about it = it is what it is.)
    There is a new opposition spokesperson on housing. I expect the policy is being reviewed before publication, noting that there has been extensive public consultation already. Including consultation on RMA reform; it has already been announced that it will be repealed and replaced.

Other housing announcements have been made as well, and since most if not all were made by Ms Collins in her previous role, it would be reasonable to expect they will not change much.

Also, I do not doubt there was and is a housing shortage, but since most households have a roof over their heads maybe the shortage is inability to rent or buy.

What would be interesting to know how many households are not able to be accepted for one of the more than half million or so private rentals so are in emergency housing, waiting for social housing or living in overcrowded conditions. And why.

Because there are nearly 10,000 rentals advertised on Trademe, and no doubt many more advertised elsewhere. Pretty much all insulated, and taxpayer subsidies available for lower income households.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    There is a new opposition spokesperson on housing. I expect the policy is being reviewed before publication, noting that there has been extensive public consultation already. Including consultation on RMA reform; it has already been announced that it will be repealed and replaced.

Other housing announcements have been made as well, and since most if not all were made by Ms Collins in her previous role, it would be reasonable to expect they will not change much.

Also, I do not doubt there was and is a housing shortage, but since most households have a roof over their heads maybe the shortage is inability to rent or buy.

What would be interesting to know how many households are not able to be accepted for one of the more than half million or so private rentals so are in emergency housing, waiting for social housing or living in overcrowded conditions. And why.

Because there are nearly 10,000 rentals advertised on Trademe, and no doubt many more advertised elsewhere. Pretty much all insulated, and taxpayer subsidies available for lower income households.
    There are some rentals near me and I talk to the tenants about their struggle to find a place to live, especially when the rental is sold and they have to move. There is a shortage of rentals where I live. One of my neighbours was given several months notice because the unit was being sold and they could not find anything and ended up in emergency housing. Another tenant was in emergency housing for several months before moving in. Reasonably priced rentals in the right location for work/school are hard to find. I checked on Trademe, many were $500 or more per week which is unaffordable for low income people.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    There are some rentals near me and I talk to the tenants about their struggle to find a place to live, especially when the rental is sold and they have to move. There is a shortage of rentals where I live. One of my neighbours was given several months notice because the unit was being sold and they could not find anything and ended up in emergency housing. Another tenant was in emergency housing for several months before moving in. Reasonably priced rentals in the right location for work/school are hard to find. I checked on Trademe, many were $500 or more per week which is unaffordable for low income people.
    Shortage of rentals, or landlords doing risk assessment? Several months notice and no private rental indicates an applicant is not at the top of a landlord's list. Why?

Then there is ECON101 - prices rise if supply shrinks and / or costs and compliance rise. There has been plenty of media - mainstream and social - on costs and risks of the current government's new rules, including new tax rules. Fortunately the kind government provides generous rent subsidies for lower income households.

There is a very large and busy Facebook site for NZ property investors and those interested - nearly 40,000 members. Even a cursory glance there shows landlords are doing their best to understand the implications of existing and new rules and do the right thing. But the right thing does not usually involve being a charity and nor should it.