sharetrader
Page 125 of 505 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Why wouldn't you wait if you don't want to use it now? It will be cheaper when interest rates rise.
    It is a holiday home on another Island. Now is a good time to buy, we are going to go there and work on it during our vacation time there. Who says interest rates will rise in the foreseeable future? Have you seen the 10 year curve?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    It is a holiday home on another Island. Now is a good time to buy, we are going to go there and work on it during our vacation time there. Who says interest rates will rise in the foreseeable future? Have you seen the 10 year curve?
    No. I don't think short term with property.

Guru

No. I don't think short term with property.
    Neither do we. But this is a holiday home. Economic considerations are taken out of to to an extent. You know like the bach at the beach that sits empty for most of the year.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Neither do we. But this is a holiday home. Economic considerations are taken out of to to an extent. You know like the bach at the beach that sits empty for most of the year.
    Fair enough. I thought you were singing 'the advantages' of low interest rates.

Guru

Fair enough. I thought you were singing 'the advantages' of low interest rates.
    Well yes and no. What I mean is that the opportunity cost of holding a property vacant have all but disappeared. When r was 8% then sitting on property was costly. Now that its 1% or less, not so much. I think that is also why property prices have held up so well post covid, because the rates have come down so quickly. I also acknowledge that when and if interest rates go up that could put some serious pressure on the property market. Can't see it in the next 5 -10 years though.

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    That makes no sense - if I am a landlord and sell a house the house doesn't vanish as someone still lives in it with a new owner!
    Sure, however - landlords might decide to not rent out their houses to avoid the loss of value some tenants tend to inflict on their property. Less housing stock available.

If landlords sell, the now owner might as well live themselves in the house - and we learned before that less people (per house) live in owner occupied buildings - i.e. some of the previous renters miss out and either need additional space to live or live on the street.

Obviously - if renting out of houses is unattractive, than less people will build new houses for renting them out. Nobody will replace anymore houses past their use by date. Rental stock goes down.

What ever it is - the number of houses to rent will go down if government makes it less attractive for landlords to rent them out. Economy 101. Only potential remedy of this situation would be for the government to become landlord and build like crazy.

Unfortunately - I remember balance telling us how this works out ... and despite disliking the way he expresses this problem, he unfortunately has a point.

Housing stock available for rent will go down. Remaining housing stock for rent will deteriorate. Better get used to it.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Sure, however - landlords might decide to not rent out their houses to avoid the loss of value some tenants tend to inflict on their property. Less housing stock available.

If landlords sell, the now owner might as well live themselves in the house - and we learned before that less people (per house) live in owner occupied buildings - i.e. some of the previous renters miss out and either need additional space to live or live on the street. ....
    Our lawmakers who live comfortably, most in cities, clearly have no notion of how rural and provincial folk live. For example the cost of compliance to new standards is the same - or more - for a farm cottage in the middle of nowhere as for a Parnell bungalow. Rent, slightly different!

A cottage on my grandparents farm housed locals for decades. It was basic but liveable and cheap. Now it is empty, starting to deteriorate, and will never be lived in again.

Not far from the town centre, so not isolated. It won't be the only one left empty once the owners have read the massive list of fines for landlords who don't comply, many payable to the tenants who lay a complaint.

Guru

Lunchtime and rest breaks will be axed under Judy.
    Sounds like a plan to employ less rather than more if the same work needs to be done?

Will her friends Mike and Heather ask how she will pay for her tax credits and other "unfunded" goodies to large business.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 28-08-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Sounds like a plan to employ less rather than more if the same work needs to be done?

Will her friends Mike and Heather ask how she will pay for her tax credits. probably not.
    Axed? Really? Did you read the proposal?

Certainly likely many small businesses will employ fewer people in the next year or two, but changing break rules isn't going to be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    What's your source for that Panda?