sharetrader
Page 150 of 505 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I remember Hilda Ogden from the 80’s. Didn’t she wearing curlers and a scarf.

I have seen photos from the 60’s and 70’s with lots of women wearing head scarves. Who could forget Tippi driving her Aston Martin in The Birds!

So scarves must have been reasonably popular from the glamorous to the gritty.
    Be that as it may, it was worn in Western societies for an entirely different reason than as is imposed on Muslim women in certain countries like Iran, Afghanistan and even UK.

And Cindy is aware of how repressive the hijab is as a symbol but she shamelessly and cynically wears it to court Muslim votes.

Despicable and repugnant.

Guru

I remember Hilda Ogden from the 80’s. Didn’t she wear curlers and a scarf?
    She was famous for it.
    Never seemed to be out of curlers.

Guru

Judith spent lots on buying FaceBook 'likes'.
    Now, in Ponsonby Road, they rake supporters in to create a show.
    Seems to be worried about not having enough admirers.
    Media spending their time asking if she'll step down if (when) National lose.
    Displays of disunity.
    Bad debate performance.
    Not a good couple of days for Judith - the poor wee thing.
    Last edited by dobby41; 07-10-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Be that as it may, it was worn in Western societies for an entirely different reason than as is imposed on Muslim women in certain countries like Iran, Afghanistan and even UK...
    Women in the West also wear scarves and veils for modesty - especially in Mediterranean Europe. There are Christian traditions for covering the hair and head.

Women in the West also wear scarves and veils for modesty - especially in Mediterranean Europe. There are Christian traditions for covering the hair and head.
    Were or are they forced into it on pain of death?

Guru

Were or are they forced into it on pain of death?
    Can’t answer that. How customs and mores were/are enforced varies according to place and time. I am pretty sure in the medieval West death was punishment for all manner of reasons, real or fabricated. Then Europe imposed their cultural expectations around the globe. In certain periods even to the C20th, the sky was the limit and you could be murdered/gassed for failing to do or wear certain things.

Can’t answer that. How customs and mores were/are enforced varies according to place and time. I am pretty sure in the medieval West death was punishment for all manner of reasons, real or fabricated. Then Europe imposed their cultural expectations around the globe. In certain periods even to the C20th, the sky was the limit and you could be murdered/gassed for failing to do or wear certain things.
    Be that as it may, we know in today’s world that the hijab is a symbol of oppression in certain Muslim countries but Cindy happily and gleefully wears it to get votes - why?

Guru

Be that as it may, we know in today’s world that the hijab is a symbol of oppression in certain Muslim countries but Cindy happily and gleefully wears it to get votes - why?
    ...To get votes or to show solidarity with and following the customs of a terrorised groups of people in NZ?

Certainly the arranged adoring Ponsonby "locals" laying down the figurative palm fronds in front of Collins seemed to have been following a lesson from the Trump playbook.

However I agree the arranged photo ops from all sides are sometimes sickening.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 08-10-2020 at 09:53 AM.

...To get votes or to show solidarity with and following the customs of a terrorised groups of people in NZ?
    Really?

And bugger all the oppressed women in Iran, Somalia & Afghanistan who are forced on pain of severe punishment to wear the hijab?

I thought the Labourites paint their Cindy as a worldly wise, caring, kind, considerate & compassionate leader - is she not?
    Last edited by Balance; 08-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Your blind hate against Adern seems to block out any rational judgement.

Firstly, I haven't seen her wearing a hijab, just a headscarf. Different things.

The hijab is used in some autocratic muslim countries as means to oppress women - this is correct. However - many muslim women see it just as symbol of faith and empowerment, and in most countries of the world there is anyway no legal requirement for them to wear it, if they don't like it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...-of-oppression

We also should not forget, that women covering their hair is not just usual in muslim countries, but it was the same thing in the Christian culture ... and still today you will see in many mediterranean countries women wearing a headscarf - and don't forget about Christian nuns. Are they as well wearing their "hijab" as symbol of the oppression through dirty old white man?

Funny you are so focussed on the oppression that you are not able to see the whole picture, isn't it?

Look - it is absolutely legitimate not to like Adern or not to support her. There are as well many legitimate reasons to question her competence and ability to deliver. While she did in my view quite well in crisis management (n.b. I said quite well, not perfect), Labor under her rule had as well a number of quite spectacular mishaps and failings - as you love to remind us. I didn't like many of the decisions of the Labor / NZ First government and they often felt short with delivering on their promises.

If you really want to support the opposition, than I propose you focus on Labors failings (Kiwibuild & Co) and at the same time give us a good and credible idea why you think a National-led government would do a better job. This way you could enrich the discussion (if you manage to cut out endless repetitions of the same argument, this is).

Adern did wear a headscarf as a symbol of respect towards a group of our population which suffered terribly under the murderous hand of some extreme rightwing nutcase, and your litanies in that regard are just tasteless ...; If anything - they will put people off from following your otherwise often (not always ) worthwhile posts. Sort of contra-productive if you want to achieve something with your posts, isn't it?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 08-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)