sharetrader
Page 157 of 505 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, looks like voters have this time the choice to either pick a Leader or to pick a Misleader.

Should be an easy choice ... my money is on the Leader;

Sad though to watch how National degraded from a once respectable and responsible party into a bunch of dirty politickers, though some might say they always have been that way.
    Unfortunately the leader only has about four in her party to lead. The rest are a bunch of misfits and no-hopers, quite beyond being led.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Unfortunately the leader only has about four in her party to lead. The rest are a bunch of misfits and no-hopers, quite beyond being led.
    You are a bit harsh. While I acknowledge that the Labour resource pool is limited - but so is Nationals, and I absolutely lost my trust into Nationals recruitment process - many unknown names and the first time you hear about them its a scandal. Too much dodgy dirty politics coming up.

The big problems NZ has to face are environment / global warming, dealing with inequality (poor people getting poorer), dealing with the outfall of a global debt crisis, dealing with the outfall of a global economic crisis, dealing with the threat of right wing populism and terrorism which is swapping onto our side of the world proliferated by crooks like Trump & Co. They have their fans on this side of the world as well, and these are voting right. I hate to lie down with flea ridden dogs.

True - for some of these issues a decent National party e.g. under Amy Adams / Nicky Kay or Muller might be better able to solve them, but Amy and Nicky are gone and Muller goes nowhere. For most of the issues however a Labour / Green coalition which at least understands the problems is in my view in a better position to solve them. They might not have all the solutions, but at least they acknowledge the issues.

Quite different e.g. to an ACT party (which National inevitably would need to govern) which wants to "heal" the economy with austerity policies and which considers it as their priority (that's what their program says) to create the best weapons legislation of the world. They did not say best for whom, but likely for the gun lovers which pumped up their list and their coffers. Not clear to me how a liberalisation of our weapons law can be in the current situation a priority, unless you want to pay back your sponsors.

I guess the choice at this election is
    a) do we prefer to vote for a party which is more likely to at least attempt to solve the big problems we are facing but has only limited competence to do so, or
    b) do we want to pick a party which in the past often used to have more competence but lost this competence together with its direction and its decency.

Not an optimal choice, but still not hard to decide ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 13-10-2020 at 04:38 PM. Reason: format & clarification
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm sure you've been listening to National Radio this morning where journalists that were at the place where Collins went to vote, confirmed the Minister of the church was there and caught Collins by a surprise when he offered her to pray prior to voting, which she accepted. Not the setup you incorrectly claim.
    Journalists were pretty well ushered in after her, would you do that too?

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I agree with BP fungus both the Labour resource pool and the National pool are pretty limited, and the same can be said of ACT. Other than David Seymour I would be hard pressed to name any of their candidates, which I might add he struggled to do himself when asked the other day.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Journalists were pretty well ushered in after her, would you do that too?
    Nothing to do with what I’d do. I was not there and I doubt you were so you’re just making this stuff up. I’ll just take the word of a person (journalist) was there

IMO

Nothing made up bud. Thank Heaven God is not listening. To think Judith thinks its ok to use God like that mixing God with politics lol.

I guess the choice at this election is
    a) do we prefer to vote for a party which is more likely to at least attempt to solve the big problems we are facing but has only limited competence to do so, or
    b) do we want to pick a party which in the past often used to have more competence but lost this competence together with its direction and its decency.

Not an optimal choice, but still not hard to decide ...
    In the NZ investment arena, i'm a bit disappointed in Jacinda not following through with her CGT. It was quite clear she needed a coalition to get her PM position but she led everyone on, wasted $ on working groups this and that. A very serious problem in investments when the wealthy whom invested in real estate are earning far more (after tax if any?) than the working class person that is in Kiwi Saver (for on most part, those managed funds invest overseas which fall under FIF and have a different set of tax requirement).

I am also aware of National Party's fall out and lack of confidence within the party. But that does not mean they can't lead. All parties start from somewhere and have good and bad times.

I'm also curious on how Green Party's 'wealth tax' will be handled. Does that mean people will need to disclose all their assets of significant values? (not speaking real estate as that's easily tracked) but how about overseas investments? How about art paintings or valuables such as classic cars? This is very concerning and I have a term deposit that is about to mature end of this month - my sense tells me, don't keep it in the country.

IMO

Sounds like you are the last person who is even prepared to pay a single $ of wealth tax, or cap gains, or death duty.Get it out of the country & go with it ,i say

Guru

You are a bit harsh. While I acknowledge that the Labour resource pool is limited - but so is Nationals, and I absolutely lost my trust into Nationals recruitment process - many unknown names and the first time you hear about them its a scandal. Too much dodgy dirty politics coming up.
    Brett Hudson/Gerry brownlee 2023..?
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 13-10-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Sounds like you are the last person who is even prepared to pay a single $ of wealth tax, or cap gains, or death duty.Get it out of the country & go with it ,i say
    You mean a person has paid enough taxes to earn their wealth but that's not good enough so they ask for more? That's how gov't operate. Can't take it from the poor, the middle class is shrinking, so might as well take it from those that have something?

You are aware $1M is not a lot of $ if you live in Auckland (prices of houses).

Oh wait Joshuatree - a come back moronic response with no substance. Let's be real here.