sharetrader
Page 162 of 505 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212262 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

As far as being overweight is concerned, there are many factors and causes. Some causes are genetic. Other causes are poverty and lack of education. Some factors are psychological. Lets remember NZ has a lamentably high suicide rate and depression can also be reflected in eating habits. It would have been great if Collins had thrown her weight behind tackling those issues and their root causes. However some of the solutions could be unpalatable to her target electorate?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 15-10-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    If you have premium access Simon Wilson has a few words on the wealth tax.
    It's not going to happen - Labour won't accept it.
    Greens may be able to leverage a bit though - they do have 6 high priority policies and people have forgotten the other 5.

Given that the payment of the tax can be deferred it won't really impact people.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/simon-...6XDFLEZJDUWTA/
    Given that it can be deferred it is a return to death duties, albeit with a brand new name, and in a new packet. Hopefully it will be an end to the Kermit party, who unfortunately have evolved into a very red shade of green.
    In fact if you mix red and green you will get brown - so perhaps they should change their monika to The Browns.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Given that it can be deferred it is a return to death duties, albeit with a brand new name, and in a new packet. Hopefully it will be an end to the Kermit party, who unfortunately have evolved into a very red shade of green.
    In fact if you mix red and green you will get brown - so perhaps they should change their monika to The Browns.
    Call it what you will.
    I doubt that it will end the Greens - they have a place in the electoral landscape.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Call it what you will.
    I doubt that it will end the Greens - they have a place in the electoral landscape.
    They certainly should have, and if they reverted to an environmental party they would secure their future, and would be more effective in achieving their original goals.
    To have some real clout, they should be a single-issue entity, free to coalesce with either the so called left or right.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 15-10-2020 at 10:22 AM.

IMO

FP having a creative multicoloured cannabis homegrown slang sorta induced moment ?. Give a little when you go.Be a kinder being.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    FP having a creative multicoloured cannabis homegrown slang sorta induced moment ?. Give a little when you go.Be a kinder being.
    I plan on giving it all when I go, strangely enough. But it will go where I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not sure if any farmers or fishermen would call that small "green tokens" to give to the Greens. Some of their extreme policies would close large parts of both industries, just as they did with Oil & Gas
    No doubt - whatever they do, there always will be some whingers. Particularly farmers are great to complain. If it is raining it is too wet, if the sun shines it is too dry, if it is frosty it is too cold and if it is a mild winter it didn't kill enough bugs.

No doubt they won't be happy with any environmental policy. Much better for them if the general public pays for their sins.

I do live in a small rural township in Canterbury and 20 years ago we had the best water in the world. Now the council tries every couple of years to permanently chlorinate the water supply due to several recent e-coli events and the nitrates are too high as well. I wonder whether that's anything to do with the farmers who moved form crop and sheep farming to now putting five cows per hectar (thanks to Lincoln research) and just allow all the cow p*ss and sh*t to drain into the groundwater.

Occasionally the local farmers like as well to smoke the township (sitting on previous farm land they sold to finance their daily champaign breakfast) out by burning their waste no matter how the wind blows. Apparently the crops which used to be in our spot did not complain.

Some of our rural roads are no-go after the local farmers put out fertilizer or whatever other poison they put on their fields and the wind is the wrong way. If you still go there, your eyes will start burning and it is difficult to breath.

Sure - there are good and bad farmers as in any other profession, but we clearly need better environmental rules and regulations - and farmers without tight environmental control are not better than a bankers without financial regulations.

I accept as well that there is a difference between sensible environmental policies and climate actionism. However - our world gets dirties and lots of that is related to irresponsible farming practises. Climate change is real as well (no matter whether the individual believes or not), and we better do something about it.

Lets bring on better environmental protection. We all will gain from it, and the better farmers will thrive by turning the chemical factory they still might operate at the moment into a living farm producing premium ecological products.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Would not make sense - the brown (as in the SA shirts) is already claimed by ACT.

But maybe we should stay a bit more civilised, shouldn't we? The Greens are not brown, and neither is ACT, though I am concerned about the influence of the corrupt NRA and a NZ weapons lobby focussed just on one thing..

Your language is turning extremist, something I would have expected from some of our worst posters, but not from you. Too much Trump?
    ----

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Would not make sense - the brown (as in the SA shirts) is already claimed by ACT.

But maybe we should stay a bit more civilised, shouldn't we? The Greens are not brown, and neither is ACT, though I am concerned about the influence of the corrupt NRA and a NZ weapons lobby focussed just on one thing..

Your language is turning extremist, something I would have expected from some of our worst posters, but not from you. Too much Trump?
    The suggestion of calling the greens the browns was tongue in cheek. They should simply be known as the Kermits.

The suggestion of calling the greens the browns was tongue in cheek.
    OK - we clearly have a different history and upbringing. Where I am coming from the brown colour in politics is reserved for fascists, same as they tend to call in New Zealand Labour "red" and National "blue".

Anyway - maybe we can reduce the name calling of legitimate, decent and democratic parties and just focus on the issues?
    ----