sharetrader
Page 184 of 505 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Interested to know your reasoning about the leader. Ms Collins has been in the role for a short time, and I doubt she has been lying on the beach in Bali. The first priority IMO is to trenchantly address disunity issues. Done, probably. Then plan and execute the plan.
    Don't disagree, but she lacks charisma - and that makes it nearly impossible to win an election. Look what it's one for Labour with Jacinda at the helm. which is about all that Labour has.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    More of their what?
    It's just dawned on me that you do not know the difference between Jane Fondas, and Jane Fonda's, which is why I couldn't understand your post.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 09-12-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Advanced Member

Don't disagree, but she lacks charisma - and that makes it nearly impossible to win an election. Look what it's one for Labour with Jacinda at the helm. which is about all that Labour has.
    Sad but true. Though charisma and Grant Robertson really don't belong in the same sentence.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Sad but true. Though charisma and Grant Robertson really don't belong in the same sentence.
    Robertson is not all bad when you consider at one stage David Parker was looking likely to get finance. Now there you have one of the world's most dismal politicians.

Guru

It's just dawned on me that you do not know the difference between Jane Fondas, and Jane Fonda's, which is why I couldn't understand your post.
    LOL. National still as boring as?
    I am not sure why you have referred to this old discussion point. I think you already claimed or implied that I had a lack of English grammar knowledge.

Online forum threads are great places to find perfect English. However I like your broad assumptions. They amuse me.

But I know a question mark does indeed make a question of a sentence. I like these linguistic tangents! I know too that apostrophes often go missing in action.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 09-12-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    LOL. National still as boring as?
    I am not sure why you have referred to this old discussion point. I think you already claimed or implied that I had a lack of English grammar knowledge.

Online forum threads are great places to find perfect English. However I like your broad assumptions. They amuse me.

But I know a question mark does indeed make a question of a sentence. I like these linguistic tangents! I know too that apostrophes often go missing in action.
    It wasn't a missing apostrophe that threw me, but an apostrophe that had no right to exist.

Guru

It wasn't a missing apostrophe that threw me, but an apostrophe that had no right to exist.
    … in your opinion. As previously explained, I disagreed with your analysis. Sure, my original post was indeed sloppy. However I did not know there could be more than one Jane Fonda - you presumably do - so the apostrophe was used as it was to indicate I was referring to (women of) Jane Fonda’s (ilk - omitted but understood) and not cloned Jane Fondas. So I considered an apostrophe was preferable to a plural in that instance.

You may like this game show hosted by Julian Fellowes (of Downtown Abbey fame.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hhG0X1Rnw
    Never Mind The Full Stops.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 09-12-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    … in your opinion. As previously explained, I disagreed with your analysis. Sure, my original post was indeed sloppy. However I did not know there could be more than one Jane Fonda - you presumably do - so the apostrophe was used as it was to indicate I was referring to (women of) Jane Fonda’s (ilk - omitted but understood) and not cloned Jane Fondas. So I considered an apostrophe was preferable to a plural in that instance.
    Regardless of what you considered, an apostrophe made it possessive. No-one could disagree with that.

Guru

Regardless of what you considered, an apostrophe made it possessive. No-one could disagree with that.
    It had to be a possessive to render it logical, unless Jane Fonda has actually been cloned.

Guru

Wow - if went to such lengths on all posts with bad English we'd get nothing else said.
    A bit of a pissing contest.