sharetrader
Page 502 of 505 FirstFirst ... 2402452492498499500501502503504505 LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 5048

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    My thoughts.
    Yes agreed the conflict is terribly complicated, but I don't understand how anyone could watch the images of the slaughter & suffering of so many innocent school children, women, the elderly, hospital patients, fathers, mothers, etc day after day & not say - this has to stop.

More than any other time in history, around the world millions of people are protesting this ongoing one sided slaughter, & calling for a ceasefire.

NZ has always been a champion of Human rights & International Law & our voice carries weight & influence well beyond our comparatively size.
    This especially in recent years as Jacinda Ardern raised our profile on the global stage, & esp in the Middle East.
    What other countries world leader ever had their image projected on the tallest tower in the world, Dubai's Burj Khalifa with the word Peace written in both English & Arabic.

Ireland, Spain, Belgium have joined others called for a ceasefire & many other countries are calling for a Humanitarian Pause with the pressure growing for a more affirmative response.
    We should all be supporting calls for a stop to the killing which shows no sign of slowing, & calling for a ceasefire.

This is one of the best ways we can support Qatar & the UN's attempts to de-escalate this.
    I think many if not most Kiwi's would feel remaining silent while watching the ongoing sheer scale of this horrific travesty of humanity & International Law, could not continue.
    The way I see it NZ needed to make a stand & am glad at least Hipkins did, since National continue to dither & don't seem to stand for anything.
    Haven’t the Irish government been long-time supporters of Palestinians and whosoever leads them? They equate themselves and the Palestinians as the victims of partition and colonialism from the UK/Israel. HAMAS are unconscionable terrorists though and with little regard for either Palestinians or Israelis.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-11-2023 at 03:51 PM.

He’s maybe right to some extent but what a stupid thing to say

Luxon said the deputy prime minister position was "largely a ceremonial role" which existed to "fill in for when I'm incapacitated or away or not in the House".
    Last edited by winner69; 21-11-2023 at 05:06 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Luxon really is a bit thick …but we shouldn’t moan as the country voted for him to lead us

Luxon said the deputy prime minister position was "largely a ceremonial role" which existed to "fill in for when I'm incapacitated or away or not in the House".
    Sounds like Seymor or Peters will get it if he is trying to downgrade it.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Funny how this role has become the focus of the media. I thought the 2 Leaders would be more interested in getting Ministries where they can make a serious difference !

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 Deputy PMs or split the term and do 18 months each

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Funny how this role has become the focus of the media. I thought the 2 Leaders would be more interested in getting Ministries where they can make a serious difference !

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 Deputy PMs or split the term and do 18 months each
    You would think so wouldn't you?
    Though - Deputy PM isn't ceremonial.

People have also made a bit of noise about Seymour saying (a while back) that he would rather have policy wins than the 'baubles of office' - nothing to say he can't have both!
    It will be interesting to see if the role of Treasurer makes a comeback.

It is probably quite important that all 3 parties are represented in the finance role - associate ministers for NZ1st and ACT - gives them more say than just being in Cabinet.

I do hope that they nail and ratify all this soon so that we can get going again.

Legend

The KFC in Prisons fella from the last failed reign already did that mate

Advanced Member

Rumours flying Seymour playing hard ball over referendum on the Treaty & will give it up in return for Deputy PM with the $334,734 salary.
    We know he wants it & thinks its rightfully ACT's, being 2nd largest party in coalition.

Luxon knows he can't give him a referendum, but he could give him Deputy PM.

But does anybody think Winston who has been Deputy PM twice, a Minister of Foreign Affairs & a Treasurer & formed his own Party going to let upstart Seymour who has never even been a Minister in Govt, & said Winston should be in a Rest home getting help to put his slippers on amongst other insults, going to be happy being outranked by Seymour as Deputy PM ?

I reckon Luxon's ridiculous statement diminishing the Deputy PM's role (which is the 2nd highest position in the govt) as just being a 'ceremonial position' is because he knows either Peters or Seymour are going to feel humiliated & furious if they don't get it.

If Luxon goes for a split term option, who goes first because Winston might easily pull the pin on this coalition at some point, so you wouldn't want to be second.

Interesting few days ahead.

Legend

Rumours flying Seymour playing hard ball over referendum on the Treaty & will give it up in return for Deputy PM with the $334,734 salary.
    We know he wants it & thinks its rightfully ACT's, being 2nd largest party in coalition.

But does anybody think Winston who has been Deputy PM twice, a Minister of Foreign Affairs & a Treasurer & formed his own Party going to let upstart Seymour who has never even been a Minister in Govt, & said Winston should be in a Rest home getting help to put his slippers on amongst other insults, going to be happy being outranked by Seymour as Deputy PM ?

I reckon Luxon's ridiculous statement diminishing the Deputy PM's role (which is the 2nd highest position in the govt) as just being a 'ceremonial position' is because he knows either Peters or Seymour are going to feel humiliated & furious if they don't get it.

If Luxon goes for a split term option, who goes first because Winston might easily pull the pin on this coalition at some point, so you wouldn't want to be second.

Good godfathers - was that how much someone was raking in out the coffers for pulling a few pretty faces
    and stumbling along over all things prisons hoping no-one would notice during the failed era of Ardern & Chipkins ?

The salary probably warrants doubling now and would still represent good value for the taxpayer bucks

Old Chinese proverb say: smarter monkey deserve more peanuts .
    Last edited by nztx; 22-11-2023 at 01:39 AM.

Dilettante

You're spreading lots of rumours BS. Just hold your horses. All we be revealed soon enough :-)

I do hope that they nail and ratify all this soon so that we can get going again.
    Very pleased you have seen the light!

After 6 years of going backwards with Ardern, Hipkins, the Maori cabal & Labour, it is time for NZ to get going again indeed!