sharetrader
Page 69 of 505 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast

Thread: National - FFS!

Muller and Kaye muddied the National proposition for existing blue voters and didn't provide anything compelling to shift the fungible centre in their direction. This has resulted in a clearer and stronger mandate for Collins. Had she taken over from Bridges there'd have been plenty of commentators suggesting there were/are better alternatives... hard to make that argument now.

Regardless of the outcome in September, the clean out is a good thing. National need to reclaim their identity. Their attempt to gain the middle ground lacked any authenticity.

Collins is polarizing, but will be far more definitive and combative - you're either picking her or your not. There'll be alot less of the wishy-washy "I'll probably vote blue because I don't like red" at the pub. Whether that's a good thing, or not, remains to be seen.

Act and Seymour are doing a good job, but for what outcome? Voting for them is a longer term proposition. In the short term, all it does is increase their volume, not their influence.

Those voters largely focused on the economy will want to avoid a red or red/green government. Therefore, if National can't markedly improve it's polling results over the next couple of months to convince voters they actually have any chance of governing, Winston may well cruise back in. For the right this will likely be the lesser of two evils... Labour/Greens + NZF not doing anything is better than Labour or Labour/Greens doing something.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Ten View Post
    Muller and Kaye muddied the National proposition for existing blue voters and didn't provide anything compelling to shift the fungible centre in their direction. This has resulted in a clearer and stronger mandate for Collins. Had she taken over from Bridges there'd have been plenty of commentators suggesting there were/are better alternatives... hard to make that argument now.

Regardless of the outcome in September, the clean out is a good thing. National need to reclaim their identity. Their attempt to gain the middle ground lacked any authenticity.

Collins is polarizing, but will be far more definitive and combative - you're either picking her or your not. There'll be alot less of the wishy-washy "I'll probably vote blue because I don't like red" at the pub. Whether that's a good thing, or not, remains to be seen.

Act and Seymour are doing a good job, but for what outcome? Voting for them is a longer term proposition. In the short term, all it does is increase their volume, not their influence.

Those voters largely focused on the economy will want to avoid a red or red/green government. Therefore, if National can't markedly improve it's polling results over the next couple of months to convince voters they actually have any chance of governing, Winston may well cruise back in. For the right this will likely be the lesser of two evils... Labour/Greens + NZF not doing anything is better than Labour or Labour/Greens doing something.
    Act and Seymour might help National in this election. It may well be that National are not able to draw from their list if they gain enough electorates - in which case Act will strengthen the Nats. That's why tactical voting can work.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Work with bloomfield.. interesting take on it. how do you know that will be an option?
    You don't trust the words of a politician do you ..

We already have a health minister who is working with bloomfield quite well currently.
    A Health Minister with no real life experience and expertise in Health is not one I would trust to make the right decision.
    I would trust Shane Reti.

Guru

I would like to see results which are already being delivered for the most part.

I would prefer Dr Ashley Bloomfield for this.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-07-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Ten View Post

Though not voting at all is an option.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-07-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Though not voting at all is an option.
    Sure, but in my view the worst option of all. Not voting created the unbelievable mess both the UK and the US are currently in. Bad politicians and crooks are brought into power by good people who don't vote.

I am both conservative (in the sense of protecting good human values) and I feel that integrity in politics is crucial. I voted over the last couple of decades mainly for either National or ACT.

I never could vote for crooks like Trump, Johnson & Co, and I can't vote for a National party under Collins. ACT unfortunately dropped the ball as well by turning into the gun lover party. NRA light.

Disappointed by both National and ACT and not sure yet, whom to give my vote this time, but it won't be a party run by Judith Collins, and it won't be either a party putting the interest of gun owners over what really matters to humanity. Maybe time to pick a party which shares my values, instead of looking for the policies which might be short term the best for somebodies Cheque book?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 16-07-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Based on you don't even know him I'm guessing. I want results which are already being delivered for the most part.

I prefer Bloomfield not Shane something..
    His name is Dr Shane Reti .
    I have known him for over 30 years but it would be a couple of years since I last spoke to him .
    He is a very good Doctor and well-respected by colleagues and patients.
    I know little about his politics-it is not a subject we have ever discussed.
    You still do not seem to comprehend their different roles and it is not about who you prefer over another

Guru

The government has access to extensive medical advice and support currently. Why would they need a National party politician?
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 16-07-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Well that UNITY behind Judith didn't even last 24 hours.

Balance, sorry to say but you're so naive to think there would be unity under Judith Collins.
    On the contrary - those who are not prepared to be part of the team are leaving. That’s what building up a united cohesive team is about.

And good on them for leaving - they have lives outside of politics and can see themselves doing other things.

Not like the bunch of incompetents with Comrade Cindy who have no option other than be in politics.

Kiwibuild, anyone?
    Last edited by Balance; 16-07-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Advanced Member

The government has access to extensive medical advice and support currently. Why would they need a National party politician and how would it help?
    I could write an essay on this but you need to do your own research as clearly you have been guessing and making mistakes in your posts .
    You do need to remember his name-Dr Shane Reti-to begin your research .