sharetrader
Page 84 of 505 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast

Thread: National - FFS!

Guru

We have no divided houses or consitution here in NZ so pretty much everything only needs a majority to pass. I assume term limits would be a simple thing to pass or would it need cross-party support?

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    So the 'plan' National come up with is really just Labours plan anyway.
    Is it? How are they exactly the same?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Is it? How are they exactly the same?
    I was thinking exactly the same but thought I must have missed something. I didn't understand how dobby41 came to that conclusion when National has come out and said they will abolish the RMA. I have not seen Labour say they would do that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    We have no divided houses or consitution here in NZ so pretty much everything only needs a majority to pass. I assume term limits would be a simple thing to pass or would it need cross-party support?
    As far as I know the 2 term limit in the US applies only to the Presidency. We don't have a President. We do have a Governor General which is generally a one term 5 year appointment.

If you are suggesting MPs should be limited in the number of terms they can serve, then I fear we will end up with Cindy's Cabinet of Incompetents becoming a regular occurrence. Long serving MPs have a wealth of knowledge of the machinations of government, as do long serving Public Servants.

I can see no useful purpose in limiting the number of terms an MP can serve. SERVE being the operative word!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    If you are suggesting MPs should be limited in the number of terms they can serve, then I fear we will end up with Cindy's Cabinet of Incompetents becoming a regular occurrence. Long serving MPs have a wealth of knowledge of the machinations of government, as do long serving Public Servants.
    Given the turn-over of MPs for National they can't really claim a lot of experiance.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Given the turn-over of MPs for National they can't really claim a lot of experiance.
    Don't forget they have a bigger caucus than Labour. Yes they have lost experience, but still have plenty who have served in Cabinet. They are inexperienced as Opposition! And that has showed....however Labour's appalling record of non-delivery is far more concerning.

I consider Andrew Little perhaps the most dangerous man in the country at present. Complete fool with apparently no concept of the precepts of the Justice system of which he is Minister.

Throw in Kelvin Davis (a decent enough person well out of his depth) who is Labour's deputy due to their slavish devotion to diversity, and you see why both Crusher and Winnie are going to go after the woke BS of Labour and the Greens.

Crusher has already stated she is only interested in competence...something Cindy should have learnt by now after having to let 3 Minister's go for showing a complete lack of it. How Twyford has survived and been promoted up the list has gone unanswered the multiple times I have asked on this forum. Even Labourites are baffled on that one. Does he have dirt on someone?

Guru

3 MPs v 17 MPs and the opposition are not even in government.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-07-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    I am not sure it is desirable to control in which member the House of Representatives could have confidence to lead a government.

Our Head of State has the job for life - but I guess parliament could pass a Republic Act, to which the GG would have to assent by convention, with a simple parliamentary majority as with any statute. More than likely there could be referendum on the subject, although that would be up to parliament to determine I guess. AFAIK there is no entrenched provision enshrining the monarchy in NZ’s constitutional set-up which is only partly codified.

Guru

NZ had a referendum on asset sales but it was ignored for the most part sadly.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 23-07-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Guru

Crusher like a damp squib in the house today.
    She really needs to up her game - so much for eating Jacinda alive as some have suggested.