sharetrader
Page 95 of 505 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: National - FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I was referring to the way the two of them presented themselves more than the content of the exchange. Collin’s questions were not well constructed and were mostly “closed-ended” questions that could have been answered with a “yes” or “no” had Jacinda chosen to do that. Jacinda is by far, the better speaker. She always comes prepared, she does her homework and has a good recall of the details of policies. She is able to think on her feet and she very rarely hesitates or stumbles over her answers to questions. Collins just doesn’t have that.
    Same Cindy who bluffs her way through under-delivering on all economic promises made last election. Kiwibuild, anyone?

Looks like we have plenty of woke pixie dusted posters here who prefer style over substance.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    This is the same Cindy who promised 16,000 Kiwibuild houses but delivered less than 400?
    They must have delivered quite a bit if that's the only thing you can bring up to complain about. Plus a house cannot be built within one term of government so 400 within two years is quite good and maybe more to come (def. more compared to Nats).
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 29-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    There should be two schemes if you want to be able to use one as a house deposit savings scheme - a savings scheme and a pension scheme. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of saving for retirement. Also, If you can dip into it in order to buy housing, why not use it to buy other investments or a business. In this day and age, Why favour housing over other forms of investment? After all at least other investments can provide taxable income unlike the investment in owner-occupied housing..

And how about some decent policies to provide sufficient affordable housing for NZ’s growing population. Then there would be less need to raid any pension scheme to be able to afford a first home.
    Why favour housing over other forms of investment?

Because housing is a basic need, not just an investment. Owning your own home has many benefits to the owner and to society in general, it provides more stability and security than renting, it fosters a sense of pride and a desire to be “houseproud” and to maintain and improve your property, when you retire you don’t need accommodation supplement = more government financial assistance. It encourages more independence which surely for all those people who complain about welfare dependency is a desirable outcome.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Same Cindy who bluffs her way through under-delivering on all economic promises made last election. Kiwibuild, anyone?

Looks like we have plenty of woke pixie dusted posters here who prefer style over substance.
    Hmm oh my gosh gee whiz where have I heard this before? Oh thats right its Balance and his broken record going round and round and round

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I was referring to the way the two of them presented themselves more than the content of the exchange. Collin’s questions were not well constructed and were mostly “closed-ended” questions that could have been answered with a “yes” or “no” had Jacinda chosen to do that. Jacinda is by far, the better speaker. She always comes prepared, she does her homework and has a good recall of the details of policies. She is able to think on her feet and she very rarely hesitates or stumbles over her answers to questions. Collins just doesn’t have that.
    Well said Justakiwi, I agree

If National wants to encourage people to set up a new business a better way to do it would be Universal Basic Income which unlike the Jobseeker benefit is not conditional upon you seeking paid employment. Knowing you had a steady reliable income while you start up your business would encourage people to be entrepreneurial. This has been proven overseas where trials of UBI have been held.

Some or all of the $20,000 from Kiwisaver retirement money would probably be used for living expenses until your business was profitable, and not just as capital. If you set up a business like home handyman, lawnmowing or cleaning your capital costs probably would be minimal.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...art-businesses
    The policy would allow any worker who loses or lost their job after March 1 to receive a $1000 voucher for financial advice from the Government, access to $20,000 of their KiwiSaver retirement funds, another $10,000 in GST or provisional tax credits, and the waiver of the $130 Company Office registration fee.
    One of the hardest things for starting up a new business is getting your hands on some capital, we figure it’s their money, why shouldn’t they be allowed to use it,” Collins, told Stuff in an interview on Wednesday morning.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/sma...would-cost-97m
    Collins said KiwiSaver was money that people had “put aside for a rainy day” and they should have a choice whether they invested it with fund managers or in their own business.

I joined Kiwisaver to save for my retirement not to save for a rainy day. I had rainy day savings as well. One of the main attractions was that I could not withdraw the money until I retired. It removed the temptation to say I’ve got $50K saved so I can buy a new car or have a trip overseas. I needed that restriction.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Why favour housing over other forms of investment?

Because housing is a basic need, not just an investment. Owning your own home has many benefits to the owner and to society in general, it provides more stability and security than renting, it fosters a sense of pride and a desire to be “houseproud” and to maintain and improve your property, when you retire you don’t need accommodation supplement = more government financial assistance. It encourages more independence which surely for all those people who complain about welfare dependency is a desirable outcome.

Well said, owning your own home has so many benefits to both individuals & communities or neighbourhoods.

And to this I would add from an economic perspective, owning your own home is a proven very safe investment, however, when you consider 66% of start up businesses fail within 24 months (in good times let alone now), a policy allowing newly unemployed people to gamble their Retirement security/savings on starting up a new business in the current environment is plain foolish.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 29-07-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Advanced Member

Another poll out tonight, One News Colmar Brunton on TVNZ 6pm.

Their last poll released 25 June when Todd Muller had recently taken over from Simon Bridges had National lift 9% to 38%, & Labour down 9% to 50%.

Collins & Brownlee saying their latest internal polling showing Nat's in mid 40's (& of course dismissing the latest Reid poll )

Will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Another poll out tonight, One News Colmar Brunton on TVNZ 6pm.

Their last poll released 25 June when Todd Muller had recently taken over from Simon Bridges had National lift 9% to 38%, & Labour down 9% to 50%.

Collins & Brownlee saying their latest internal polling showing Nat's in mid 40's (& of course dismissing the latest Reid poll )

Will be interesting.
    Get your facts right before you post. We are not all woke pixie dusted like you & incapable of reading the news reports out there.

Kiwibuild, anyone?