sharetrader

Default Vodafone and the lost "paid up" email address

Just wondering - sharetrader has a rule that new members can only register using "paid up" email accounts - i.e. you can't use a free gmail or hotmail or a similar account to register as member of sharetrader.

Many of these "paid up" accounts are with Vodafone:

EMAIL SERVICES TO CLOSE

vodafone.net.nz
    vodafone.co.nz
    ihug.co.nz
    wave.co.nz
    quik.co.nz
    pcconnect.co.nz
    paradise.net.nz
    clear.net.nz
    es.co.nz
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...nical-problems

While the effected members can keep their vodafone email address as "forwarding address" as long as they are with vodafone, new vodafone clients won't have a "paid up" email address.

Time for sharetrader to change its policy? It is already now stopping new members to register ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just wondering - sharetrader has a rule that new members can only register using "paid up" email accounts - i.e. you can't use a free gmail or hotmail or a similar account to register as member of sharetrader.

Many of these "paid up" accounts are with Vodafone:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...nical-problems

While the effected members can keep their vodafone email address as "forwarding address" as long as they are with vodafone, new vodafone clients won't have a "paid up" email address.

Time for sharetrader to change its policy? It is already now stopping new members to register ...
    It is interesting that Vodaphone has blamed spam getting out of control for the demise of their e-mail service. Some years ago I had my own battle against spam. My ISP had a passive approach and claimed there wasn't much they could do about it. 95% of the spam was coming from China. Although most of the source ISPs concerned had a reporting address, they never replied to any of my complaints and the spamming continued. In the end my ISP managed to tweak their in house filtering to get the spam down. I think Shane Atkinson of Christchurch, being outed and convicted as the brains behind most of it helped too. But there is plenty more my ISP could have done in terms of blocking rogue domains and ISP fields. Personally I think the latter approach would have been the way to go. That way if there were any genuine customers that had their source ISP blocked, (which frankly I doubt) they could complain. A customer complaining is always more likely to be listened to, than some third party jock in another country the ISP probably hasn't heard of.

It sounds to me like Vodaphone are very lazy and think spam is someone else's problem. Personally I think any company that pulls their e-mail service is no longer a serious player in the ISP business. The idea of having spammers being able to sign up on a free account to 'sharetrader' in a way that is repeatable and unable to be controlled sounds like a medium term death sentence for the forum to me. The paid up address requirement was introduced for a reason. I think the join up rule needs to stay as it is BlackPeter. You have to forget Vodaphone - they are no longer in the ISP business in my eyes. Move your business to a provider that is a proper committed ISP.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 13-09-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    It is interesting that Vodaphone has blamed spam getting out of control for the demise of their e-mail service. Some years ago I had my own battle against spam. My ISP had a passive approach and claimed there wasn't much they could do about it. 95% of the spam was coming from China. Although most of the source ISPs concerned had a reporting address, they never replied to any of my complaints and the spamming continued. In the end my ISP managed to tweak their in house filtering to get the spam down. I think Shane Atkinson of Christchurch, being outed and convicted as the brains behind most of it helped too. But there is plenty more my ISP could have done in terms of blocking rogue domains and ISP fields. Personally I think the latter approach would have been the way to go. That way if there were any genuine customers that had their source ISP blocked, (which frankly I doubt) they could complain. A customer complaining is always more likely to be listened to, than some third party jock in another country the ISP probably hasn't heard of.

It sounds to me like Vodaphone are very lazy and think spam is someone else's problem. Personally I think any company that pulls their e-mail service is no longer a serious player in the ISP business. The idea of having spammers being able to sign up on a free account to 'sharetrader' in a way that is repeatable and unable to be controlled sounds like a medium term death sentence for the forum to me. The paid up address requirement was introduced for a reason. I think the join up rule needs to stay as it is BlackPeter. You have to forget Vodaphone - they are no longer in the ISP business in my eyes. Move your business to a provider that is a proper committed ISP.

SNOOPY
    I agree, Snoopy - but this is probably a discussion for the Vodafone thread on the NZX forum. My post here was just meant as a reminder to the sharetrader admins to review their sign up policy.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    My post here was just meant as a reminder to the sharetrader admins to review their sign up policy.
    I personally think the policy should remain.

Based on the strict moderation employed on this site , it would strike me that they would want to have a trackable logins and to do this requires an ISP email address, one which has a real person behind it.

Full or at least perceived full anonymity on the internet is the whole reason for so much of the bad will
    Most major social networks dont allow anonymity anymore, eg I had to revert to my least preferred email address at Xtra for Apple ID after Vodafone cut me. They are so dead to me.

Twitter allows it and has become the haven of trolls.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....